Darren Cave

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: Darren Cave

Post by shamalicious »

rocky wrote:Actually, Rum, for a pro centre, his injury profile is extremely good in comparison to his peers.
Also, his scoring record speaks for itself - 45 tries in 225 appearances. Only Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy are above him. In terms of try assists (giving the scoring pass), he is easily the best in the pro era.After BOD, he was the best outside centre in Ireland by some distance, for about a decade. as others have said, he will go down as a loyal Ulsterman and a legend of Ulster rugby.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

rocky wrote:Actually, Rum, for a pro centre, his injury profile is extremely good in comparison to his peers.
Also, his scoring record speaks for itself - 45 tries in 225 appearances. Only Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy are above him. In terms of try assists (giving the scoring pass), he is easily the best in the pro era.After BOD, he was the best outside centre in Ireland by some distance, for about a decade. as others have said, he will go down as a loyal Ulsterman and a legend of Ulster rugby.
Well said rocky. :cheers:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Couldn't have put it better myself Rocky >appl

One of my all time favourite moments at Ravers was the night he scored a hat trick of tries against the Tiggers, and seeing his mum going bananas with joy in the stand just behind us on the terrace. What happiness he brought to every Ulster fan that night, so you can imagine what Ruth thought of him. She was ecstatic. It was just lovely seeing that on her face.

:bounce: >clapping >dance
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As a very occasional visitor here, I was struck by the accuracy of your post, Rocky, there are very few with our levels of perspicacity. Hence I decided to post, despite chastising myself the other day for continuing to make the occasional post here.

What most gombeen men don't understand is that when someone of Darren's quality is on the verge of buggering off, it's not just the individual that is hit by the ripples of the stone that he has chucked into that still pond. I know that somewhere he has family there who have probably loved watching their son, brother, whatever, for years, whoever they are they too will be lamenting the end of an era more than the average tw@t here.

I never tired of telling fools here that DC was made of superb stuff, I've told people for as long as I can remember that no other Ulster player barring wingers have scored more tries than DC, then take into account the number of their tries that he has set up/completed the scoring pass for............... well, a proper f@ckin' legend.

I'm distressed that circumstances & wanting to remain a one-club man have forced his hand, to an extent, to retire when he has so much more to give................ but I wish him nothing but the greatest success with whatever comes next, especially fatherhood.

Thanks, DC, live long and prosper. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
As a very occasional visitor here, I was struck by the accuracy of your post, Rocky, there are very few with our levels of perspicacity. Hence I decided to post, despite chastising myself the other day for continuing to make the occasional post here.

What most gombeen men don't understand is that when someone of Darren's quality is on the verge of buggering off, it's not just the individual that is hit by the ripples of the stone that he has chucked into that still pond. I know that somewhere he has family there who have probably loved watching their son, brother, whatever, for years, whoever they are they too will be lamenting the end of an era more than the average tw@t here.

I never tired of telling fools here that DC was made of superb stuff, I've told people for as long as I can remember that no other Ulster player barring wingers have scored more tries than DC, then take into account the number of their tries that he has set up/completed the scoring pass for............... well, a proper f@ckin' legend.

I'm distressed that circumstances & wanting to remain a one-club man have forced his hand, to an extent, to retire when he has so much more to give................ but I wish him nothing but the greatest success with whatever comes next, especially fatherhood.

Thanks, DC, live long and prosper. :thumleft:
Damn fcuking right

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Totally agree Rocky, in any other era Darren would have got a load of Ireland caps. In attack and defence just superb, always thought the Conrad Smith comparison was very accurate.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I never said Cave had a bad profile of injury and by that I am assuming you been series of long lay offs -- because he has been extremely lucky and wouldn't have amassed the number of caps he has if he had . But what he has had is repetitive shoulder injuries a couple of years ago -- how bad those injuries were I don't know -- but for a player who tackles as often as a centre has too -- the number might indicate an expensive insurance risk.

Eg lets assume an annual insurance premium for Cave of £ 20,000 lets say he plays 4 games that is an outlay of £4000 per match, for one player.

Unfortunately, rugby, at Pro14 level is more than a sport -- its a business.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

And a business doesn't assume anything like that Rumn

Yer pulling numbers out of the air and trying to use them to backtrack on your previous twaddle.

Where on Earth do you get insurance premium of £20K and when did Darren ever play only 4 matches (I presume in a season)?

Give it a rest.

You know what they say about "assume" - it makes an ass out of u and ..... yep, you again! :roll:
I'm not arguing -
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote: Eg lets assume an annual insurance premium for Cave of £ 20,000 lets say he plays 4 games that is an outlay of £4000 per match, for one player.
4 games x £4000 per match = £20,000 :scratch:

Are you Oldmannix in disguise?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Poor Darren and his terrible injury record, that no one has heard about before. He's so brittle...

At least he's got a non-sensical insurance policy that won't help because he's not retiring due to medical reasons.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

If only he had managed that 5th cap for Ulster ... :roll:

Could have been a leg end if he'd played 5 matches. :red:
I'm not arguing -
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

rumncoke wrote:I never said Cave had a bad profile of injury and by that I am assuming you been series of long lay offs -- because he has been extremely lucky and wouldn't have amassed the number of caps he has if he had . But what he has had is repetitive shoulder injuries a couple of years ago -- how bad those injuries were I don't know -- but for a player who tackles as often as a centre has too -- the number might indicate an expensive insurance risk.

Eg lets assume an annual insurance premium for Cave of £ 20,000 lets say he plays 4 games that is an outlay of £4000 per match, for one player.

Unfortunately, rugby, at Pro14 level is more than a sport -- its a business.
Can we assume that your a complete côck.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

A massive loss to UR both on and off the pitch. Vastly underrated by most including a number of Bellends on here. You know who you are!

A natural behind the mic so a new career awaits.

As others have said, he realised what a tool FOLK was before the rest of us.

One of my favourite players of all time and will be sadly missed.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

DC is a great communicator. I enjoy his punditry. Unlike 1F, who can't string five words together before saying 'what do you think Brian?'
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Me again, sorry for butting in, I really will absent myself after this.

2 things:

Happy Birthday Darren Cave, you've suddenly got far too old to be playing this game, my advice is to git while the gittin's good. >EW

Secondly, many of you are too stupid to understand the significance of this, day 1826. So, I'll talye. This is the fifth anniversary of the day Ravenhill had it's most raucous atmosphere ever, thanks in no small measure to Girrid , Garces, and the Sarriebastards oxygen bottle & mask and that clown Good, Goud or simply "Gobshite" who faked a near-death moment only to be gladhanding all and sundry 5 minutes later after Girrid's walk of shame.

It was the day that clampit Ashton, the well-known Warren Gatland, said it was the best atmosphere he had ever played in & his CEO, the disgusting Ed Griffith said the exact opposite, had it been the 1960s he'd have "Sir Alf'd" and called us "animals", before tearing strips of weekend warrior Slogan, our own trained killer and Norn Iron's top liar.

Sadly it was the end for a great team and ushered in a tragic period, overseen by Shame Slogan and his mate Doc Dave who not only screwed up by stabbing the ever popular McGlock in the back, but then turned traitor himself buggering off til Glaws, leaving the oafish Slogan too destroy the legacy that Doc Dave had been key in building for the bible-thumpingtwat, a fabulist who is Norn Iron's Walter Mitty equivalent.

Wind through Doakball & the disastrous twitching chube that was FOLK, the brief horror of the Liar Gibbes, a liar of almost as grand proportions as the then CEO, and then the blessed relief of finally getting not only a bloody good head Coach who gives all the appearance of actually knowing what he's at.

5 years and unexpectedly the grey mists appear to be melting away, some sort of decent future, much ahead of the timescale I anticipated.

Never forget 5/4/2014, a day of infamy, tomorrow will be Day 1827, coincidentally the year of Ron'n's birth. :D

OK, it's goodbye. I can't be doing with this shitehole. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.