Ospreys vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ospreys vs Ulster

Post by rumncoke »

Henderson played the game I expected of him non flinching but not overly aggressive after two weeks out and an International Jersey to defend in a RWC year and a trip to Japan on the cards . The last thing he would want is an other injury during the 6 nations.

Ulsters problem was the forwards failed to retain possession in side the 22 an opportunities to score were sacrificed on the alter of bad handling and ball retention.

Personally considered the ref missed things -- it should have been a penalty try and yellow card . I 'm not a great believer in the card but have seen Ulster been given cards for less .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote:Henderson played the game I expected of him
No he didn't - he gave a lot more than you expected of him.

You expected him to play 40-50 mins,but he played the full 80.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I think Lowry is going to have to accept the laws of physics are against him. If he goes for soak/leg tackles instead trying to smash everthing he could have a successful career.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, I think the difference to other narrow wins this year (eg Cardiff at home) is that a lot of aspects of our play that we have struggled with look like they’re starting to progress - notably the defensive system which completely killed Ospreys, but also our phase play was better, our ball carriers more successful (not amazing - but looked for more space / soft shoulders rather than running upright into guys...), and much fewer handling errors (IIRC at the 60 min mark we had only made 4). Also kicking game better and more varied.

Unfortunately 2 of the handling errors we did commit in the first half deprived us of at least 5, possibly 14 points, and going out a couple of scores in the 1st half would surely have seen a canter in the second.

Stu deserved MOTM, but it could easily have gone to EOS - his engine is unbelievable, he’s a great athlete, his tackling is quality, and his scrummaging is much improved. You have to say whoever plucked him out from Trinity and offered him a contract has done brilliantly!

In fact all the front row played well, in fact the entire pack - except Hendy who looked very sluggish, still good for him to get 80 mins.

And I know Kernohan should have scored that try, but I actually thought he played pretty well - needs refinement for sure, but he’s filling out nicely, he’s a solid boy, quick, good footwork, still only 19, I think he’ll go far. I thought Lowry had a good game, nice neat passing, kicking from hand not great - tackling still a problem, not in the sense that he doesn’t make them, rather he does!! And I can’t help wondering if he’ll end up just beaten up and missing 50% of each season injured..

Btw is it just me or should our try not have been an obvious pen try and yellow card? I’m certain Immelman had blown for that but then wimped out and just awarded a try when Stu fell on the ball
..one more thing
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Spiffsson wrote:
justinr73 wrote:I think the days of Cave providing much creativity are probably over.

We picked a pretty limited back three, more out of necessity than choice, but can be reasonably pleased with the set piece, handling, discipline and defensive structure.

Job done.
I'd give full marks to Ludik. This guy always gives 100% whether wing or FB and hardly ever plays a bad game. He was as brave and sound under the high ball as ever and still has an attacking edge to him. A dull game yes - but Ulster did look very comitted and tight in defence. A good enough away win, and denied Ospreys the bonus point. We'll take it.
Thought Herring played an agressive game and must still be in with a shot for the third RWC hooker slot if he keeps it up.
Hendo, though far from his best, really makes a difference.
Sure, Ludik was Ludik. As solid as ever. Admiral did a reasonable impersonation of him too but we were never going to run away with that game. I quite enjoyed it though.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

justinr73 wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
justinr73 wrote:I think the days of Cave providing much creativity are probably over.

We picked a pretty limited back three, more out of necessity than choice, but can be reasonably pleased with the set piece, handling, discipline and defensive structure.

Job done.
I'd give full marks to Ludik. This guy always gives 100% whether wing or FB and hardly ever plays a bad game. He was as brave and sound under the high ball as ever and still has an attacking edge to him. A dull game yes - but Ulster did look very comitted and tight in defence. A good enough away win, and denied Ospreys the bonus point. We'll take it.
Thought Herring played an agressive game and must still be in with a shot for the third RWC hooker slot if he keeps it up.
Hendo, though far from his best, really makes a difference.
Sure, Ludik was Ludik. As solid as ever. Admiral did a reasonable impersonation of him too but we were never going to run away with that game. I quite enjoyed it though.
There was no room for much creativity and you need wingers who work with Cave to follow through otherwise if he makes a break he gets turned over without the support, so it is actually clever when any player does not risk breaks. Both he and McCloskey covered well for Kernahan and Ludik appeared to be keeping an eye on Nelson and standing back more than he would if purely playing wing.
It made for a low scoring match though with both sides basically trying to not let the other side score rather than trying to risk building a score themselves, if we had got 2 scores clear the game would have changed dramatically.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I'd be surprised if Kernohan does much. He may just be 19 but I don't see a great deal in him and it was the same watching him with the underage international teams.

Probably the next Mikey Allen sans purple patch of scoring.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My comment on Henderson was on the type of game he played not length of time on the pitch and the fact that O Connor was replaced and not Henderson MIGHT be reflection of his game ( ie O Connor had been more involved in the game to that point than Henderson ) ( the player data reviewed by the Ulster management would be the basis of normal substitutions based on fatigue rather than tactics or injury ),and Joe had not put a limitation on the use on the " Irish Squad'players released. Which I had assumed he would have done.

To repeat something I have voiced previously -- referees are failing to referee matches with the freedom to identify what is and is not dangerous -- they are being brainwashed by guidance notes -- if the player comes down on his head -- red --Bullsh-t .

Very few head injuries occur due to a hand on or around a should -- occasional -neck maybe but head but the injury depends on how fast the player running is stopped rather than by contact . Whereas players making a tackle frequently are getting head injuries from elbows, knees, forearms ,shoulders etc being used by as weapons against a would be tackler . The laws of the game allow the ball carry to Hand Off a would be tackler -- players who fail to attempt a hand off before the use of any body part should if injury occurs be punished for the injury inflected.

My other observation of what increases the dangers for a would be tackler is the is the pre-bound pod on the goal line .

The ball being passed to a pre-bound group of three -- the combined weight of the group could be close 40 -60 stone -- never mind the fact that those bound to the ball carrier are blocking a tackle on the ball carrier. It is dangerous and only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured trying to tackle such a group. ( especially at schools and youth level ) Pre -binding should be a penalty offence . Pre-binding -- before the tackle
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

therealspratt wrote:I'd be surprised if Kernohan does much. He may just be 19 but I don't see a great deal in him and it was the same watching him with the underage international teams.

The white line fever is a very bad thing - hard to get rid of.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Amiga500 wrote:
therealspratt wrote:I'd be surprised if Kernohan does much. He may just be 19 but I don't see a great deal in him and it was the same watching him with the underage international teams.

Especially if you're not a top class finisher.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Another shout for the Admiral. He took a few fine balls in the air and had a couple of good carries. He'll never be first choice but a good safe back up, at least on this showing.

Jirrid must be happy with the 0. Whatever the frailties of the Ospreys, it's still a good show to keep the line intact, and our penalty count must have been pretty low as well..Job done. Must be looking for a couple of good wins in the next two games.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

therealspratt wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:

Especially if you're not a top class finisher.
Lyttle seems to be exactly that. A very good finisher. Still baffled by his non-selection.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The game has two aspects — attack and defence . Sometimes a coach will pick the player with a better defence before a player with a better attack .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kernohan is only 19 and could improve. He needs to improve his tackling as he is a bit of a liability 1 v 1. We seem to have some very injury prone back three squad players. Jack Owens had big things predicted about him at one stage.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

kingofthehill wrote:
Bart S wrote:Cooney and Jordi are back with Ulster but not Will Addison. Marcel out for Friday with his hamstring injury.

Not sure if young Rabbie on the wing is available although Kernoghan doing a meedya thingy suggests he may be starting.

Hendy back training but not yet ready and Luke Marshall (remember him) back in non contact training. Sounds like it will be close to the end of the season before Luke is fit again to play, if at all this season. Hopefully back to his best next season as still has plenty to offer :red:
Luke will be fit for H cup quarter but doubt he will be involved.

God help us if Kernahon starting.

I stand by this. Dave you say he needs to work on his 1v1 tackles,I actually think he is decent there. It’s his positional play defensively that’s horrible. I still can’t get past his performances for the u20s last year. Each week he was the oppositions best player.

The King is dead. Long live the King.