Ospreys vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ospreys vs Ulster

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
I stand by this. Dave you say he needs to work on his 1v1 tackles,I actually think he is decent there. It’s his positional play defensively that’s horrible. I still can’t get past his performances for the u20s last year. Each week he was the oppositions best player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was in position last night and missed a 1v1 tackle last night allowing their player to break the line. Same against Leinster, although not the only one. Yes he wasn't great at u20 level.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
I stand by this. Dave you say he needs to work on his 1v1 tackles,I actually think he is decent there. It’s his positional play defensively that’s horrible. I still can’t get past his performances for the u20s last year. Each week he was the oppositions best player.

He was in position last night and missed a 1v1 tackle last night allowing their player to break the line. Same against Leinster, although not the only one. Yes he wasn't great at u20 level.
He missed one bad 1 v 1 that I remember. I would hate to be a 13 with him defending outside me.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

A satisfactory weekend from a points situation. With Benetton doing for the Scarlets our 4 Pts on the road became more valuable. There seems to be a more positive attitude on here with the acceptance that we are moving in the right direction and whilst most would like to see even more coming through from the Academy especially forwards those that are coming through are showing commitment even if they are not yet the finished article.
Still away to go but those that chose to stay rather than “moving on” must feel some statisfaction.
Not out of the woods yet but you can see a glimmer of light ahead.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

I'm not moving on, bring back PJ.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Just watched the match on S4C, well pleased. Question though
- why are the Leinster Schools cup quarter finals on Free Sports and not the Ulster schools?
Enjoyed the games mind but have we missed the boat again?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Setanta wrote:Just watched the match on S4C, well pleased. Question though
- why are the Leinster Schools cup quarter finals on Free Sports and not the Ulster schools?
Indeed. I was sat in Spain watching Gonzaga (Cooney's alma mater I believe) beat Terenure during the week. Decent enough watch.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Setanta wrote:Just watched the match on S4C, well pleased. Question though
It would involve every round being at Ravenhill and I don’t think the ulster branch would be terribly happy with the pitch being ruined.

Are there any 4G pitches?

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

I quite enjoyed the match for what it was. McCloskey is having a very good season and EOS is improving rapidly - looking a very canny signing.

I don’t rate Kernohan particularly highly - good wheels but suspect in too many areas for me. One of the things that’s impressed me about Balacoune, by comparison, is that he defends well using the line as an extra man - wherever possible he sets himself to encourage the attacker to go outside him, knowing he has the pace to cover and the strength to get a man down or bundle him into touch. Kernohan could learn to be a better defender but I’m unconvinced he offers enough going forward to warrant the minutes.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Kernohan is still only 19, two years younger than Baloucoune.

Whilst I can appreciate the jury is out on the kid he still is very young.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Kernohan is still only 19, two years younger than Baloucoune.

I can’t understand playing Kernohan and benching Rob Little. His finishing is incredible and really solid in defence.
All good giving youth a chance but I know he’s coming back from injury but if he’s fit for the bench he should’ve got more than 4 mins. 7 tries in 17 appearances and he’s only 22
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Balacoune has the experience of having played 7s there are some ( like Frank i believe ) who don't like 7s but it is a game where you frequently have to channel the on coming attacker to make him pass or the tackle easier . It also makes you more aware of space and players in space.

The game seldom develops props or second rows but is excellent training for Backs and Back Row players.

Regards to wings with the young lad at Bangor yet to leave school I doubt if some will be retained long term but it is only fair in those circumstances the any wings in the Academy get their chance to develop and showcase their potential. Would Stokes be where he is to day if he hadn't been given the opportunity.?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Kernohan is still only 19, two years younger than Baloucoune.

exactly... he has some good building blocks already in place, pace, size, footwork - and a lot of work still to do, notably his defence. I agree with KOTH his positional play isn’t great, he often looks uncertain - and this then leads to him getting in bad positions to make tackles, which he misses. But I remember well into his 20s lots of Irish journalists confidently saying that Trimble would never be a top-class winger because of his defence Image

On Balacoune, he has the great benefit of blazing pace.. so he knows that 9 times out of 10 he can comfortably come inside and push attackers out, safe in the knowledge that he has the legs on them. As a former winger myself, albeit much slower Image, I watch him with great envy
..one more thing
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Stockcube looked very dodgey when he first turned out at Ravers. Came back from the u20 tour a different player.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Stockdale always looked like he had something about in his first few games. However he seemed a bit cumbersome and sluggish at times. Over the summer he worked very hard on improving his speed with JD. He came back a flying machine.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not that sure as to whether for many wingers pace is the key to their game rather for many the speed in the change of pace .
Trimble and Bowe never struck me as the fastest over the first 5 metres but they had the ability to maintain it over 100 metres and equally good recovery times. But the one thing the best wings have in common is brains .Although there are some considered good were the jury could be out when counting the brain cells
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist