The run in

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: The run in

Post by jean valjean »

5 points today and a win in Edinburgh I reckon will get a top 3 finish. Scarlets despite a hammering last night could well get 14 / 15 points out of their last 3 games. We need Munster and / or leinster to do us a favour against benetton also.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Scarlets playing Edinburgh in Round 19 so someone will drop points! Don’t think we can rely on D4 putting in a shift after last night’s performance. No doubt they will show up in Belfast mind
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Glasgow last season wrapped Conference A early and took their foot off the gas. They were undercooked for the playoffs and Scarlets beat them at Scotstoun in the SF. Just saying re D4.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Neill_M wrote:Scarlets playing Edinburgh in Round 19 so someone will drop points! Don’t think we can rely on D4 putting in a shift after last night’s performance. No doubt they will show up in Belfast mindImageImage
In effect Scarlets Edinburgh is a knock out game. ASSUMING we beat Kings we need to win 1 of our last 3. When we shock Leinster on Saturday they'll be coming up here fully loaded for the last game.

All was not well within camp Joe mainly made up of Leinster, they haven't played together in blue for a while, their 2s got smashed last night by an Edinburgh team missing a few Scotland lads. Momentum is a big thing in sport. I've convinced myself there's going to be an upset next weekend. Well, when I say upset, not for me.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I do think next week will be close providing we dont gift them an easy start like Ireland did last week. Would really like addison back for it. Bigger loss than toner, vdf and henshaw given the relative depth available in the squads. Need big stu to come through today as well.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Scarlets playing Edinburgh in Round 19 so someone will drop points! Don’t think we can rely on D4 putting in a shift after last night’s performance. No doubt they will show up in Belfast mindImageImage
In effect Scarlets Edinburgh is a knock out game. ASSUMING we beat Kings we need to win 1 of our last 3. When we shock Leinster on Saturday they'll be coming up here fully loaded for the last game.

All was not well within camp Joe mainly made up of Leinster, they haven't played together in blue for a while, their 2s got smashed last night by an Edinburgh team missing a few Scotland lads. Momentum is a big thing in sport. I've convinced myself there's going to be an upset next weekend. Well, when I say upset, not for me.
I think we need a stomach upset for the entire Leinster squad.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Glasgow Vs Ulster
Scarlets Vs Edinburgh
Leinster Vs Treviso

A win versus Glasgow will mean the loser of Scarlets Vs Edinburgh will not be likely to catch us, they'd need to pick up bonus points.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Glasgow Vs Ulster
Scarlets Vs Edinburgh
Leinster Vs Treviso

A win versus Glasgow will mean the loser of Scarlets Vs Edinburgh will not be likely to catch us, they'd need to pick up bonus points.
Ulster on 54. If Edinburgh lose, best they can get is 59. If Scarlets lose, best they can get is 57.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

In terms of points needed to make top 3 (playoffs & automatic Heineken 19/20 spot):

Treviso 50 can get to 65 in theory.
Edinburgh 47 can get to 62 in theory.
Scarlets 45 can get to 60 in theory.

The fact Scarlets host Edinburgh on Saturday means that both can’t get max points from last 3 games.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Benetton may quite fancy a trip to Leinster reserves, a home game against Munster reserves and then a gimme at Zebre.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Should we hope scarlets lose this weekend? While it means Edinburgh closing the gap on us, it also means we guarantee a play off spot if we can win against Edinburgh a week later. We need to be smart about how we approach this weekend, the Edinburgh game is THE game that counts in the next 3.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote:Should we hope scarlets lose this weekend? While it means Edinburgh closing the gap on us, it also means we guarantee a play off spot if we can win against Edinburgh a week later. We need to be smart about how we approach this weekend, the Edinburgh game is THE game that counts in the next 3.

Scarlets other 2 games are Zebre at home and Dragons in Millennium Stadium, so that’s 10 points. Edinburgh after Saturday play ourselves and are away to Glasgow in R21. So in answer to your question, yes!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote:Benetton may quite fancy a trip to Leinster reserves, a home game against Munster reserves and then a gimme at Zebre.
Could see our Italian cousins winning all of those games for sure.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s fiendish stuff for sure.

I’m worried about the ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show’ scenario and would probably make changes for Friday, not that we have a massive amount of leeway in that respect.

I don’t think my guldering will be as intense as Saturday so God only knows how the players feel.

On the face of it, Edinburgh could be the most crucial game for us to win.

The one thing Dan probably got wrong was the team selection over Christmas and we have similar tough calls now.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I take on board the thought process of others but there is a two week break after the Glasgow and Edinburgh fixtures to rest.

Glasgow have a mountain of injuries, McFarland knows their players inside out add the fact Glasgow are coming off a European exit much more deflating than our own I'd disappointed if we didn't go for it.

Throwing the Glasgow game only to turnaround and lose versus Edinburgh would be some kick in the teeth.

It sounds like some are already plotting squad rotation for the knockout phases. NEWSFLASH we've only three games left if we don't win any of our remaining league fixtures.