Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by Columbo »

Getting to that time..

With the 3 academy promotions next year, I believe the following is the senior squad (full & development contracts) status quo:

Prop (9): O'Sullivan - McCall - Warwick - O'Hagan - Herbst - Moore - O'Toole - Kane - Milasinovich
Hooker (4): Best - Herring - Andrew - McBurney
Lock (5): Henderson - O'Connor - Treadwell - Carter (NIQ) - Thompson
Back Row (8): Rea - Ross - Montgomery - Murphy - Reidy - Timoney - Coetzee (NIQ) - Jones
Scrum-half (3): Cooney - Shanahan - Stewart
Out-half (3): Burns - McPhillips - Lowry
Centre (6): Marshall - McCloskey - Curtis - Cave - Addison - Hume
Wing (4): Gilroy - Stockdale - Lyttle - Busby
Full-back (3): Ludik - Nelson - Owens

Total of 45: out-of-contract / rumoured for departure Herbst & Cave (anyone heard for sure?) There must be question marks around Best post-WC, Thompson (hasn't featured at all notwithstanding second row crisis...). Jones & Montgomery haven't made many waves, O'Hagan, Busby, Owens continue to be plagued with injuries.. McFarland has already made inroads into clearing the decks, might there be another half-dozen plus on their way out?

On the other side, Baloucoune and Kernohan mustn't be too far away from promotion to full contract status - might we try to keep Nagle? (may depend on whether Leinster retain Fardy..)

On the NIQ front - just the 2 at the minute.

For me glaring weaknesses are the same as they have been for ages, back row depth, loosehead, half-back depth.
Last edited by Columbo on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by Dave »

Baloucoune should be signed up ASAP. Surprised he wasn't announced today.

I think the backrow is better than it has been for a long time. Not massive depth but a good first choice with some healthy prospects in behind. The problem is if Marcell isn't fit. With him there you could have a few interchangeable options alongside him.

It sounds like attempts are being made to sign an IQ loosehead. If that doesn't happen perhaps we will be permitted an NIQ. It's not like we are Munster but you never know.

I think Faddes is a done deal.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:Baloucoune should be signed up ASAP. Surprised he wasn't announced today.

I think the backrow is better than it has been for a long time. Not massive depth but a good first choice with some healthy prospects in behind. The problem is if Marcell isn't fit. With him there you could have a few interchangeable options alongside him.

It sounds like attempts are being made to sign an IQ loosehead. If that doesn't happen perhaps we will be permitted an NIQ. It's not like we are Munster but you never know.

good point I forgot about him - maybe all the more reason why we might see some fringe back 3 players released I guess..

I think we have a pretty good first choice back row in Reidy, Murphy and Coetzee - and Timoney and Rea aren’t bad, even with a bit of second-season-itis for Nick, but I think that we desperately need more in the tank - particularly given that none of the academy lads seem to be coming through quickly. Bearing in mind that Leinster can rest Ruddock, Conan and van der Flier and play Deegan, Doris and Leavy - and Munster can rest POM, Stander and Cloete and play JOD, TOD and Botha - no disrespect to our lads but it’s a bit of a step down to Ross, Timoney and Jones...

I think another good back row is pretty much a necessity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:
Dave wrote:Baloucoune should be signed up ASAP. Surprised he wasn't announced today.

good point I forgot about him - maybe all the more reason why we might see some fringe back 3 players released I guess..

I think we have a pretty good first choice back row in Reidy, Murphy and Coetzee - and Timoney and Rea aren’t bad, even with a bit of second-season-itis for Nick, but I think that we desperately need more in the tank - particularly given that none of the academy lads seem to be coming through quickly. Bearing in mind that Leinster can rest Ruddock, Conan and van der Flier and play Deegan, Doris and Leavy - and Munster can rest POM, Stander and Cloete and play JOD, TOD and Botha - no disrespect to our lads but it’s a bit of a step down to Ross, Timoney and Jones...

I think another good back row is pretty much a necessity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Like I say the quality significantly drops off without Marcell. I'm thinking back to when we literally didn't have one. Diack, an ageing Roger Wilson etc.

Another backrow signing seems unlikely tbh.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Talk on leinster forum is that deegan might be forced to leave, especially if doris jumps him in the pecking order. If he wants to start in the big games he may have to leave. Would be a nice addition.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

With Our last project sent packing and it being a 5yr stint now, will we even be looking?
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
OldMan
Novice

Post by OldMan »

Columbo wrote:Getting to that time..

With the 3 academy promotions next year, I believe the following is the senior squad (full & development contracts) status quo:

Prop (9): O'Sullivan - McCall - Warwick - O'Hagan - Herbst - Moore - O'Toole - Kane - Milasinovich
Hooker (4): Best - Herring - Andrew - McBurney
Lock (5): Henderson - O'Connor - Treadwell - Carter (NIQ) - Thompson
Back Row (8): Rea - Ross - Montgomery - Murphy - Reidy - Timoney - Coetzee (NIQ) - Jones
Scrum-half (3): Cooney - Shanahan - Stewart
Out-half (3): Burns - McPhillips - Lowry
Centre (6): Marshall - McCloskey - Curtis - Cave - Addison - Hume
Wing (4): Gilroy - Stockdale - Lyttle - Busby
Full-back (3): Ludik - Nelson - Owens

Total of 45: out-of-contract / rumoured for departure Herbst & Cave (anyone heard for sure?) There must be question marks around Best post-WC, Thompson (hasn't featured at all notwithstanding second row crisis...). Jones & Montgomery haven't made many waves, O'Hagan, Busby, Owens continue to be plagued with injuries.. McFarland has already made inroads into clearing the decks, might there be another half-dozen plus on their way out?

On the other side, Baloucoune and Kernohan mustn't be too far away from promotion to full contract status - might we try to keep Nagle? (may depend on whether Leinster retain Fardy..)

On the NIQ front - just the 2 at the minute.

For me glaring weaknesses are the same as they have been for ages, back row depth, loosehead, half-back depth.
Is Milasinovich a 'done deal'?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Forgot Busby was still with us.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

therealspratt wrote:Forgot Busby was still with us.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I saw a pic of Busby and Luke Marshall taking part in some training wearing medical bibs.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Has that Saffer prop been announced yet?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:Has that Saffer prop been announced yet?
What Saffer prop ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

OldMan wrote:
Columbo wrote:Is Milasinovich a 'done deal'?
hmmm good question actually - I don’t think Ulster have announced it have they? It was in the papers, I reckon it’s solid because if the local papers screw up Ulster usually clarify (eg Kankowski)
..one more thing
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Faddes was a class act once again this morning! If he has signed for us what a signing we have got :thumright:
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

pip14 wrote:Faddes was a class act once again this morning! If he has signed for us what a signing we have got :thumright:
Nice break from him here, albeit from a forward pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iai4Y4gmto&t=1m0s