Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Loki
Warrior Assassin

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by Loki »

it's a travesty if we can't scrape together a good enough contract for DC for at least another year. 31/32 is no age to be put on the scrapheap, particularly given the amount he can offer - specifically to Ulster. casting him aside would be insanely short-sighted and a poor response to someone who goes out of their way to represent the club in the best possible light on the pitch and off.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Cave could certainly do another year for Ulster. Maybe not at 13 given the others available and him slowing up, but he could do an effective job at 12 especially when stu needs a break.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

jean valjean wrote:Cave could certainly do another year for Ulster. Maybe not at 13 given the others available and him slowing up, but he could do an effective job at 12 especially when stu needs a break.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's not like he hasn't had game time, he has made 15 appearances this season to date on the other hand there's 8 centres on the books for next season already.

McCloskey
Addison
Marshall
Faddes
Ludik
Hume
A.Curtis
Moore

One of Addison, Faddes or Ludik will be starting fullback next season distorting that figure.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Something like this?

Seriously strong tbh

1. McGrath
2. Best
3. Moore
4. Henderson
5. Carter
6. Reidy
7. Murphy
8. Coetzee
9. Cooney
10. Burns
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Marshall
14. Faddes
15. Addison

1. O’Sullivan
2. Herring
3. O’Toole
4. O’Connor
5. Treadwell
6. Rea
7. Timoney
8. Jones
9. Shanrahan
10. Lowry
11. Balacoune
12. Hume
13. Cave
14. Gilroy
15. Ludik
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Darren Cave has now confirmed he's hanging up his boots.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Saw it reported today that Nagle is expected to be contracted to Ulster next season
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Eggs wrote:Saw it reported today that Nagle is expected to be contracted to Ulster next season
I’m pretty happy with that tbh - that’s a decent roster of second rows. In fact I was thinking with Carter coming in, does that open up the possibility of seeing Hendy at 6 a bit next season?
..one more thing
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Columbo wrote:
Eggs wrote:Saw it reported today that Nagle is expected to be contracted to Ulster next season
I’m pretty happy with that tbh - that’s a decent roster of second rows. In fact I was thinking with Carter coming in, does that open up the possibility of seeing Hendy at 6 a bit next season?
Good article on Nagle in The42. He can play back row also if needed.

https://www.the42.ie/ian-nagle-ulster-i ... 4-Apr2019/
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

Wiehahn has gone.

"The Ulster coaching team have named their match-day squad that will take on Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun Stadium in Round 19 of the Guinness PRO14 Championship on Friday (kick-off 7.35pm).

Luke Marshall, who made a try-scoring impact on his return from a long-term injury lay-off last weekend, has been named to start at outside centre, where he will partner Stuart McCloskey in the Ulster midfield.

Winger Rob Lyttle also returns to the starting lineup, as he joins Jacob Stockdale and Abbey Insurance Ulster Academy livewire Michael Lowry in the back three.

The half-back pairing of John Cooney and Billy Burns is retained once more.

Alan O’Connor will captain the side from the second row alongside Kieran Treadwell. Hooker Rob Herring, Ulster’s top try scorer (six) in the PRO14, will pack down with Eric O’Sullivan and Marty Moore in the front row.

Sean Reidy, who made his 100th Ulster appearance on Saturday, starts at blindside flanker, with Jordi Murphy and Marcell Coetzee named as the other loose forwards.

John Andrew, Andy Warwick and Tom O’Toole will cover the front row on the bench, with Ian Nagle and Matthew Rea named as the additional forward replacements. David Shanahan, Darren Cave and Angus Kernohan will provide the backline options.

Meanwhile, it was confirmed earlier this week that Wiehahn Herbst has taken up a contract with Vodacom Bulls in South Africa.

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors, Guinness PRO14 Round 19, Friday 5th April 2019 at Scotstoun Stadium (7.35pm):"

https://www.supersport.com/rugby/super- ... oins_Bulls
"The Vodacom Bulls have been bolstered by the arrival of Ulster tighthead Wiehan Herbst for the remainder of the Super Rugby season.
Herbst, who moved to Ireland as a project player with long-term ambitions of playing for the Irish, was released from his contract by the Irish Rugby Union and joined up with the team on Monday.
The Bulls have been looking for a tighthead to join the squad since last season and wanted Herbst earlier but he couldn’t secure a release from his contract to join them earlier in the season.
Herbst, who is 30 years old and previously played for the Sharks in Super Rugby, moved to Ireland in 2014 but since he doesn’t seem to be in Irish coach Joe Schmidt’s plans for the national team, he requested the release.
He made 82 appearances for the Sharks in Currie Cup and other competitions, and had 40 Super Rugby caps with the Durban side.
The Klerksdorp High alumni played 41 times for Ulster since his arrival there five years ago."

Only 41 games in 5 years.
Strange that this wasn't announced before his last game.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

They must have agreed to let him go once the SDC was over.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The Ulsterian wrote:
Only 41 games in 5 years.
Strange that this wasn't announced before his last game.
His wife had it spouted on twatter week before last.

41 games in 5 seasons is a shocking return for our supposed first choice tighthead. The potential was there, never fulfilled it.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

This was rumoured before the away game to Leinster earlier in the season, but then denied. My guess is that it was pretty much agreed in principal at that time, but then Ulster put it on hold following Kyle McCall being ruled out for the season. As mentioned above, he seemed like a decent enough prospect when he came across, but spent too much time on the physio's table to ever really make his mark.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Thought when Herbst came on he did reasonably well, but at the end of the day he has had too many injuries and after a promising start appears to regress.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Irrelevant question but like this year, next year, Leinster are only allowed to have 2 of Gibson Park, Fardy and Lowe allowed to play in HC. Does that mean we can only have 2 of Coetzee, Faddes and Carter??
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

pip14 wrote:Irrelevant question but like this year, next year, Leinster are only allowed to have 2 of Gibson Park, Fardy and Lowe allowed to play in HC. Does that mean we can only have 2 of Coetzee, Faddes and Carter??
Coetzee isn't included in that. Under the Kolpack agreement, Saffers have the same rights as those from EU countries regarding work and movement. This looks likely to end following withdrawal from the EU.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?