Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Amiga500 »

Dave wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
It does look like McCloskey hits it with his elbow on the way down.
I slowed it right down and it actually hits ROL's own arm not McCloskey's. I wouldn't expect Poite to see that but the rip was fairly clear.
Yep - but he could have seen it as clean rip, then smacked forward by McCloskeys elbow = knock on.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.
I think - it's my opinion! And it is a broad generalisation! Do you not think it's a reasonable observation? I base it on the fact that pretty much every time I watch replays of tries etc, particularly in slo-mo, you could pick a number of at least arguable offences that the ref might have picked up, it's just the nature of rugby maybe more than any sport, it's played right at the edge and the ref is always challenged to pick everything up.
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
I slowed it right down and it actually hits ROL's own arm not McCloskey's. I wouldn't expect Poite to see that but the rip was fairly clear.
Yep - but he could have seen it as clean rip, then smacked forward by McCloskeys elbow = knock on.
You'll have to ask him what he has seen. In my view it is the wrong call.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
LeinsterLad
Novice

Post by LeinsterLad »

Well done Ulster, it was a fantastic match and although it seems many of you lot didn't expect it to be so close, I actually felt we were in big trouble when the teams were named and am glad we got through. No doubt you can feel hard done by, that could, maybe should have been your day.

Stockdale the best wing in Europe imo, gutted for him but these things happen and you can be sure his actual finishing will improve massively from that mistake, it happens, unfortunate it was such an important one.

Lastly a note on our captain, Rory has probably played his last European game and that makes me sad, it would have been special to see him replicate the team of 99 in his final season, he is an absolute legend of the game and will be missed.

Onwards and upwards for you boys from here. At least you have Teresa May to thank for not leaving Europe twice in the one weekend, I wouldn't go too deep into the post match analysis, it will only drive you to madness.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
I called it a rip from the upper tier of the toilet bowl. No excuse for poite. I had 6 beers in me by then also.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

LeinsterLad wrote:Well done Ulster, it was a fantastic match and although it seems many of you lot didn't expect it to be so close, I actually felt we were in big trouble when the teams were named and am glad we got through. No doubt you can feel hard done by, that could, maybe should have been your day.

Stockdale the best wing in Europe imo, gutted for him but these things happen and you can be sure his actual finishing will improve massively from that mistake, it happens, unfortunate it was such an important one.

Lastly a note on our captain, Rory has probably played his last European game and that makes me sad, it would have been special to see him replicate the team of 99 in his final season, he is an absolute legend of the game and will be missed.

Onwards and upwards for you boys from here. At least you have Teresa May to thank for not leaving Europe twice in the one weekend, I wouldn't go too deep into the post match analysis, it will only drive you to madness.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season.
Hey, you're being a bit negative about Ulster's chances of making Europe next year!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

jean valjean wrote:
Dave wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
I called it a rip from the upper tier of the toilet bowl. No excuse for poite. I had 6 beers in me by then also.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lightweight :lol: :lol: :stout: >burp >drinks
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Referee is not seeing the game in slow-mo

Thus nowadays players fail to score when trys would been given in the past because errors were unseen .
Similarly trys nowadays have been awarded in situations were previously the referee would call a 5 yard scrum because the touchdown went unseen .

Normally with a neutral ref the swings and roundabouts cancel each other if the crowd factor is discounted .

It is the joy of the home game that half of Knock Ons and forward passes are highlighted by the home fans . Home fans don’t shout “FORWARD “ if it is an error by their own team .

To that extent I believe any error by the ref on Saturday was a mistake rather than bias — on occasion I have not held view .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rumn - I don't think anyone is accusing Poite of bias

Just think he could have done a better job on some (major) calls, or at least used his helpers a bit more rather than going with his own instinct (or being influenced however unwittingly by the home crowd/team).
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

So the :blueafro: appear to be sweeping the sectarian incident in the crowd under the rug by stating that it was dealt with by the stewards and gardai. They also say that people shouldn't dwell on an isolated incident and concentrate on the overall great atmosphere and game. While I agree with the second point I don't think you can simply sweep it away by simply saying it was dealt with by chucking the guy out, he needs to be made an example of and lifetime ban in place for all :blueafro: games.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:
Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.
I think - it's my opinion! And it is a broad generalisation! Do you not think it's a reasonable observation? I base it on the fact that pretty much every time I watch replays of tries etc, particularly in slo-mo, you could pick a number of at least arguable offences that the ref might have picked up, it's just the nature of rugby maybe more than any sport, it's played right at the edge and the ref is always challenged to pick everything up.
The word 'fact' and 'pretty much every time I...' should not be in the same sentence. Stating that everytime (or as good as) you watch a slo-mo replay of a try you can see a 'number' of arguable offences, is a big call. Again, I would need to see evidence of this.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Yea they can be a bit cocky at times but wouldn't you if Ulster had been as good the last 10 years.
No. At least certainly not in the way they have been. It was never like that at Donneybrook - it is a recent thing which has crept in, I imagine, with their success over those years and the new support at RDS.
I agree re Donnybrook but that s stone age...and also no so much with reagrd RDS but when in Aviva you get alot hangers on who just want to be at the event...mostly find Leinster fans good fun
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:As always a great article in The42

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-ulster-le ... 8-Apr2019/
I'm glad they highlighted Hendo and McCloskey. I thought both were excellent. McCloskey bumping off Healy had me up on my feet! Everyone on the field had a belter.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

mea97mb wrote:So the :blueafro: appear to be sweeping the sectarian incident in the crowd under the rug by stating that it was dealt with by the stewards and gardai. They also say that people shouldn't dwell on an isolated incident and concentrate on the overall great atmosphere and game. While I agree with the second point I don't think you can simply sweep it away by simply saying it was dealt with by chucking the guy out, he needs to be made an example of and lifetime ban in place for all :blueafro: games.
Whilst we are all exposed as racist for the comments of one person a fact repeated across every major news station and press hub as far as New Zealand when it happens to us we once again get it laughed off as a bit of banter... Guess it doesn’t matter when directed at us ..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU