Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by thecrouch »

Cockatrice wrote:McGrath is an upgrade on the Lion Hunter
They play different positions...
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

At the game.. home now and read a few pages of this thread but not noticed a mention of what made this happen yesterday.

Dan McFarland and his staff. I thought the defence was magnificent and credit to Jared Payne.

Is it the coaching staff we really need to applaud for the way they have brought the team together and maximized the potential of all?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

thecrouch wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:McGrath is an upgrade on the Lion Hunter
They play different positions...
still an upgrade...

That match was test match intensity a fact supported by several commentators however Ulster will now have to prove that they can play at this level on a more regular basis.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Columbo wrote:Tbh I think that it may be for the best that we bowed out like that with heads held high - I’m not sure we have quite enough in the tank to beat Racing away, maybe we might have squeaked a home SF against Toulouse, but I don’t see us beating Sarries in a final. And I think potential results away to Racing or Sarries, or even Toulouse could have been ugly...

FWIW I thought BOD was fine on comms
Agreed
Losing yesterday in the fashion we did will be more of a positive than negative.
We don't have the squad to win the HEC so stuff it.
The boost that performance will give to our youngsters will be massive.
Coming out of a competitive away QF in HEC and going into the last three games with genuine hope of a home playoff in the league. Hands up anyone who thought we were going to be in this position after the farce of last season.... no, me neither. We weren't supposed to be remotely competitive.
This season has been far more than we could have hoped for and gives massive reason to be positive looking ahead to the rest of this season and next season with the additions of real quality.

Don't disagree with the sentiment but it will be a right sickener if Toulouse can hold on in Paris.

Jacob is a big man in every way btw. What age is he 22? Absolutely nothing to apologise for.
Understand your thought process Snipe and Columbo but I don't agree, a win in a HEC QF and the experience of a Semi Final win or lose would be another invaluable day of education. Turns out it would have been Toulouse in Dublin, that's a 50/50 game for me.

40k+ Ulster fans at the Aviva. French team playing away. Odds in our favour in my book.
Up there with blowing the Pro12 semi at Scotstoun with the final beckoning at Ravenhill.
Still, ifs and ands ... and at least I don't have to explain why the Easter weekend in Donegal has been cancelled and I can still use the Horslips/Pat McManus Band tkts on May 11. :lol:

Almost. Les was definitely denied a trophy by the smiling offender.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Going to put this out there as he hasn't been mentioned anywhere and he does take a bit of stick generally. Wee Billy isn't spectacular but I thought he had a good game yesterday. He has a zippy pass and his defence held up. He tried to mix it up a couple of times.

The move where he gives it to Stu who then drags in back to him again was tried out v Kings last week and now has a 2/2 success rate. We should put it in cotton wool now for the Pro14 final

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I thought his bombs were much better than Cooney's box kicks. More accurate and contestable.

That big Stu decoy was clever plus good positioning by Reidy as a second decoy.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Ulster was a great move for him but not an easy one.

There’s more to come.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Any recordings up of the match yet?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HammerTime wrote:
All teams have their tiny minority of knobheads. Every Leinster fan I came into contact with yesterday and at many previous matches at the RDS were 110%.
I wish I could say the same. Admittedly most of what I have experienced in the past was not sectarian but some of it was.

With one exception I would say my experiences at Limerick and Galway with opposition fans have always been positive.

As stated, all teams have a minority who let them down, but in my experience that minority in Dublin is much bigger than in any other place I have visited. In the past couple of years my health has prevented me from travelling to away matches, but sadly I stopped going to RDS which is the easiest away match possible, even before that simply because it was no longer an enjoyable experience. That was not because of the results, but because of the regular attitudes of Leinster fans around me. Not something I could say about any other venue (although Glasgow since they moved to Scotsoun is going that way too).
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
All teams have their tiny minority of knobheads. Every Leinster fan I came into contact with yesterday and at many previous matches at the RDS were 110%.
I wish I could say the same. Admittedly most of what I have experienced in the past was not sectarian but some of it was.

With one exception I would say my experiences at Limerick and Galway with opposition fans have always been positive.

As stated, all teams have a minority who let them down, but in my experience that minority in Dublin is much bigger than in any other place I have visited. In the past couple of years my health has prevented me from travelling to away matches, but sadly I stopped going to RDS which is the easiest away match possible, even before that simply because it was no longer an enjoyable experience. That was not because of the results, but because of the regular attitudes of Leinster fans around me. Not something I could say about any other venue (although Glasgow since they moved to Scotsoun is going that way too).
Yea they can be a bit cocky at times but wouldn't you if Ulster had been as good the last 10 years. Was lucky enough to be at the RDS during a rare Ulster win (when clancy tried desperately to hand the game to Leinster after the final whistle had went) and they couldn't have been more congratulate. Been called an orange/nordie b@stard at Thomond a couple of times but sure that's almost to be expected.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Heard a few Brexit cracks but twas in the spirit of banter. I did tell them I was more Irish than them because I chose my Oirish passport rather than just getting one by default :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

10 or 15 only wrote:At the game.. home now and read a few pages of this thread but not noticed a mention of what made this happen yesterday.

Dan McFarland and his staff. I thought the defence was magnificent and credit to Jared Payne.

Is it the coaching staff we really need to applaud for the way they have brought the team together and maximized the potential of all?
Usually, when Ulster play Leinster in Dublin they have it in their heads that they are beat even before a ball gets kicked. Leinster know they've won. So many games we've literally been running about like headless chickens ... even though we lost, for me that Leinster invincibility in Dublin has been shattered. Which is brilliant.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

justinr73 wrote:Losing hurts more when it’s close.

Let’s hope that some of those who came for the day out yesterday will start being regulars at Ravenhill.

You get the feeling that with the age profile of the squad, and the performances that we’re now starting to see, that something really good is just around the corner.

#gladimarriedanulsterwoman
Before the game, I was worried that Leinster would blow us away and that we'd be on the wrong side of an embarrassing score. At that point, I was just hoping we'd turn up and do ourselves justice. Totally gutted after the match because we could, and should, have won it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This clip shows a forward pass in the build up to their first try.

The still clearly shows Healy holding (cheating) Timoney. This was the break that led to their second try. EOS misses the tackle and Timoney is prevented from even attempting to tackle Conan.

We were robbed. Day 2.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Poite was right in line to see that pass ffs. And why didn't Timoney make a bigger deal out of that? It's moments like that were Best going off early really killed us. Genuinely thought we were a tad the better team even more frustrating when Poite missed so much too which led to many of their points and at times he was so harsh on us.