Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
Columbo
Initiate
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Columbo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:46 am

Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
..one more thing

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Bart S » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:52 am

Did Poite not miss a glaring ulster forward pass in the build up to Luke Marshall's try?

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:57 am

Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.

There is nothing borderline about what I have highlighted. They are clear and obvious.

Which pass in the build up to Marshall's try?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am

This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points. Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

mea97mb
Squire
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 am

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by mea97mb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:03 am

Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.

There is nothing borderline about what I have highlighted. They are clear and obvious.

Which pass in the build up to Marshall's try?
The skip pass that Marshall himself threw out to the wing looked borderline to me at the time.

promenader 2
Novice
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by promenader 2 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:06 am

Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points. Image
To me, that looks like the ball goes forward, then bounces back. I don't know the rules well enough to know if that's a knock on or not. Anyone enlighten me?

















/

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Cockatrice » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:07 am

In many ways we are still too nice and are used to the Ulster Way although with McFarland I see that changing albeit not overnight. We should be making more of those tight calls to try and influence the refs decision making process more.. much of this can be done in pre match meeting with officials where clarify can be sought and also doubts can be put in the refs mind.. Cullans public comment on Coeztee is a prime example..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU

mea97mb
Squire
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 am

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by mea97mb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:08 am

promenader 2 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points. Image
To me, that looks like the ball goes forward, then bounces back. I don't know the rules well enough to know if that's a knock on or not. Anyone enlighten me?
/
https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11&language=EN
5. The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:

A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).

A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:17 am

mea97mb wrote:
Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.

There is nothing borderline about what I have highlighted. They are clear and obvious.

Which pass in the build up to Marshall's try?
The skip pass that Marshall himself threw out to the wing looked borderline to me at the time.
Just looked at it. In fairness, it's close but to me the arms go back so it's momentum if anything. The touch judge was perfectly in line.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Amiga500
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Amiga500 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
It does look like McCloskey hits it with his elbow on the way down.

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11304
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by big mervyn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
It does look like McCloskey hits it with his elbow on the way down.
Given that it was all part of the same play, would that override the "rip"?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
It does look like McCloskey hits it with his elbow on the way down.
I slowed it right down and it actually hits ROL's own arm not McCloskey's. I wouldn't expect Poite to see that but the rip was fairly clear.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13656
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:36 pm

HammerTime wrote:Yea they can be a bit cocky at times but wouldn't you if Ulster had been as good the last 10 years.
No. At least certainly not in the way they have been. It was never like that at Donneybrook - it is a recent thing which has crept in, I imagine, with their success over those years and the new support at RDS.

HammerTime wrote:And why didn't Timoney make a bigger deal out of that? It's moments like that were Best going off early really killed us.
That part I didn't see live, but was listening on the radio, and Gusher made a big deal of it, describing the foul play and stating that Poite should go to the TMO if he didn't see it himself. He then described what the players did, which I paraphrase;

Timoney did make a bigger deal of it. But he did it in the proper way, going through his captain. Hendo then went to Poite but was summarily waved away. Hendo persisted, but Poite again sent him away and wouldn't listen. At least according to Gusher anyway.

I just wonder if he would have waved Rory away so easily?
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13656
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Dave wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
It does look like McCloskey hits it with his elbow on the way down.
I slowed it right down and it actually hits ROL's own arm not McCloskey's. I wouldn't expect Poite to see that but the rip was fairly clear.
When Brian O'Driscoll calls it against his own team, it must be bad. He was clear that Poite had made a howler. Likewise with the penalty against Marcell for the penalty a few minutes before that.

I was shocked that Drico was so blatant in making calls against his own team, so for once, fair play to him.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Yea they can be a bit cocky at times but wouldn't you if Ulster had been as good the last 10 years.
No. At least certainly not in the way they have been. It was never like that at Donneybrook - it is a recent thing which has crept in, I imagine, with their success over those years and the new support at RDS.

HammerTime wrote:And why didn't Timoney make a bigger deal out of that? It's moments like that were Best going off early really killed us.
That part I didn't see live, but was listening on the radio, and Gusher made a big deal of it, describing the foul play and stating that Poite should go to the TMO if he didn't see it himself. He then described what the players did, which I paraphrase;

Timoney did make a bigger deal of it. But he did it in the proper way, going through his captain. Hendo then went to Poite but was summarily waved away. Hendo persisted, but Poite again sent him away and wouldn't listen. At least according to Gusher anyway.

I just wonder if he would have waved Rory away so easily?
Poite is known for this. Sometimes the crowds reaction can help but admittedly I didn't see it at the time.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Post Reply