Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 5th April @ 7.35pm Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 5th April @ 7.35pm Premier Sports

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Been to Firhill (Partick) a couple of times for Ulster matches (Fir Park is Motherwell's ground, Rocky).

Also been to Scotstoun a few times and it is second only to RDS for my most disliked ground.

Best Glasgow ground I've been to (also a couple of times) was Hughenden - a bit like watching Glasgow v Ulster at Pirrie Park, but at least the Weegie yobs hadn't started following them at that stage and there was a bit of atmosphere at the match.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Agree with Grumps .. Hughenden was by far the best place those wandering Glaswegians have ever played .. like watching them on The Mall in Armagh ... and the beer tent was always great fun with a decent band and Andy Nichol trying to tell a few jokes ... Scotstoun is a pain to get away from and an even bigger pain listening to the moaning weegies :red: I hope we kick the crap out of them tomorrow night :cheers: :red:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I see the bookies have us plus 8 in the handicap. Thats generous of them >EW
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Been to Firhill (Partick) a couple of times for Ulster matches (Fir Park is Motherwell's ground, Rocky).

Also been to Scotstoun a few times and it is second only to RDS for my most disliked ground.

Best Glasgow ground I've been to (also a couple of times) was Hughenden - a bit like watching Glasgow v Ulster at Pirrie Park, but at least the Weegie yobs hadn't started following them at that stage and there was a bit of atmosphere at the match.
Indeed, Grumps, you are quite right. I stand corrected. The rest of your post is accurate as well. I liked Hughenden but it was never going to be big enough for big time pro rugby.
Prefer RDS to Scotstoun - at least it's a proper rugby ground (for most of the year)!
Bo***cks to Brexit
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Scottish rugby both Glasgow and Edinburgh suffer from not having their own decent stadia.

Arguably Ravenhill is the finest stadium in the Pro14, yes we got a nice bit of government funding for the second phase of redevelopment but the IRFU did support the initial phase, as it backed Munster at Thomond (still not paid off) and it's backing Leinster with the RDS redevelopment to come (open to correction).

The Scottish Union hasn't had the funds / foresight to do similar. The upgrade at Ravenhill and the facilities certainly did attract new fans.....
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Frig me going to be a hard game for a lot of the fellas after the emotion of the Leinster match 6 days earlier. Not that optimistic of a win but possibly last Saturday has given the young guys the realisation of what they can achieve and the standards they need to set. Fingers crossed!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Scottish rugby both Glasgow and Edinburgh suffer from not having their own decent stadia.

Arguably Ravenhill is the finest stadium in the Pro14, yes we got a nice bit of government funding for the second phase of redevelopment but the IRFU did support the initial phase, as it backed Munster at Thomond (still not paid off) and it's backing Leinster with the RDS redevelopment to come (open to correction).

The Scottish Union hasn't had the funds / foresight to do similar. The upgrade at Ravenhill and the facilities certainly did attract new fans.....
Logan built the kingspan with his bare hands.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Scottish rugby both Glasgow and Edinburgh suffer from not having their own decent stadia.

And on the 7th day he rested.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

ding dong2u wrote:Agree with Grumps .. Hughenden was by far the best place those wandering Glaswegians have ever played .. like watching them on The Mall in Armagh ... and the beer tent was always great fun with a decent band and Andy Nichol trying to tell a few jokes ... Scotstoun is a pain to get away from and an even bigger pain listening to the moaning weegies :red: I hope we kick the crap out of them tomorrow night :cheers: :red:
If you nip out of Scotstoun sharpish, and there’s not usually much to stick around for, there’s a bus stop on the main road.

Hopefully, there’ll be room in the Pot Still when we get back. It was constantly rammed when I was up there last December.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Buses are always bunged on the way back unless you leave really early .. ah The Pot Still ... fond memories of rolling out of there ... what a great choice of whisky >burp >burp >burp
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ding dong2u wrote:Buses are always bunged on the way back unless you leave really early .. ah The Pot Still ... fond memories of rolling out of there ... what a great choice of whisky >burp >burp >burp
Just because you're in haggis land doesn't mean standards should drop.

You should be lookin' for a great choice of whiskey. Actually, choice doesn't really come into it - just so long as it has an e in the spelling, the odds are that it's better than scotch.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

GAME DAY
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Dave wrote:GAME DAY
Buzzin' like a freshly charged rampant rabbit

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Are you sure he didn't singlehandedly liberate a third world country from a despotic regime?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Are you sure he didn't singlehandedly liberate a third world country from a despotic regime?
That was how he rested. Nothing like war-gaming for a bit of R&R. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -