Jack McGrath

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Jack McGrath

Post by Dave »

Confirmed...great signing. Welcome to Ulster, Jack.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jack McGrath

Post by Dave »

IRFU contracted international prop Jack McGrath has decided to switch to Ulster from the start of the 2019/20 season.

Commenting on his decision, Jack said:
“This was a difficult decision but one I believe will put me in the best position to continue to perform at the top end of the game. I have enjoyed a huge amount of success at Leinster, but I feel that looking beyond the World Cup to the next phase of my career, I will benefit from the opportunity within the Ulster environment.
“I am now fully fit after a disrupted start to the season and I’m looking forward to putting all my energy into helping Leinster’s drive to defend the European and PRO14 titles and finishing this season on a high.”
The move was also welcomed by Dan McFarland, Ulster’s Head Coach:
“We are delighted to be welcoming Jack on board next season, and it is hugely encouraging to see a player of his calibre express the desire to join us.
“Jack’s quality on the field is undoubtable, and his experience of playing at the highest level will be a hugely valuable asset to the club as we continue to develop a promising group of young forwards.”
Jonny Petrie, Ulster’s CEO, commented:
“Jack choosing to further develop his rugby career at Ulster is both a testament to the quality of rugby programme that Dan and his team have put in place, and a statement of the positive direction in which this club is heading.
“We are building something very strong here and I’m extremely pleased that Jack wants to be part of that.”
David Nucifora, IRFU Performance Director, added:
“Jack has made a very tough decision which he believes will advance his case for selection for Ireland. You have to respect a player with such ambition.
“Leinster is a fantastic environment but it is testament to the work that all four provinces are doing that players are seeking opportunities within Ireland to advance their international careers.”
Jack was first capped for Ireland in 2013 against Samoa and has won 54 caps for Ireland to date and featured in all three Tests on the 2017 British and Irish Lions Tour of New Zealand. He is a Six Nations winner with Ireland in 2014, 2015 and 2018.
He made his debut for Leinster in 2010 against Glasgow Warriors and has made over 140 appearances for the Province, winning three Heineken European Cups, an Amlin Challenge Cup, a Guinness PRO14 title and two PRO12 titles.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

A starting test Lion, still under 30.

Must surely be one of the best signings Ulster have ever made in the pro era?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Excellent. Could get 5 good years from Jack.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

thecrouch wrote:A starting test Lion, still under 30.

Possibly. Considering how desperate we were at LH at the start of the season and that our 1st choice guy is still in the Academy. I think it's a great piece of business.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wonder will Porter go back to LH? I don't think it's working out that well for him at TH.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Is this just a one year deal? There's no mention of contract length

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

thecrouch wrote:A starting test Lion, still under 30.

Played in all 3 Tests against the ABs as a replacement.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He's on a central contract until post 2019 RWC. I suppose it depends how that all works out.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

What length of deal is this?
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Three months. He will be heading back to the Brumbies in the new year.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I'd guess he is moving for the remainder of his current contract, then will re-negotiate a new deal with Ulster/IRFU when the time comes.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

I have to admit, while this could potentially go very well... it also could potentially fall apart.

He hasn't been in form for a long time - injury related? (by that I mean, permanent ceiling on performance-injury related)
He is coming here as he isn't confident of becoming number 1 beating out a 31 year old Healy (and more recently Byrne & Dooley) for the spot.

Eric O'Sullivan is going great and developing all the time. Across this season, in terms of form - EOS is the starter. How will that go down? Will the head drop?

I assume the IRFU are footing the bill as its still a central contract so Ulster are financially OK and in theory we have greatly improved strength in a problem position. In practice, it may not quite work out like that.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

thecrouch wrote:I'd guess he is moving for the remainder of his current contract, then will re-negotiate a new deal with Ulster/IRFU when the time comes.
I would say he has a worst case scenario contract already sorted with Ulster on the off chance he doesn’t get another CC.
Tight 5 looking very much improved on last few seasons.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Welcome to Jack, newest member of the Dublin Red Hands :red: :D