Edinburgh vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Re: Edinburgh vs Ulster

Post by 222toHounslow »

Cracker wrote:More and more impressed by Billy Burns. He is becoming a first rate fly half and all credit to him after some of the criticism he has received on this site. Also delighted with how Ross Kane played when called on and if Eric O'Sullivan does not become a full Irish international in the future I will be amazed. As for Nordi. A superb signing and a Leinster friend of mine is doing his nut as to why the Mexicans let him go.
What does first rate mean? He’s bang average
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Tighthead Prod wrote:
Marty Moore has had a great season. His scrummaging has become much more solid and his work in the loose has improved out of all recognition !!

I have always rated Ross Kane as the best up and coming THP. His scrummaging is excellent which is his primary role , and although his loose play is not as eye-catching as TOT, he is no slouch in that regard either !! As others have highlighted the biggest threat to him becoming a top class THP is his susceptibility to injury.
Couldn't agree more! Moore has exceeded expectation and Kane has all the potential just needs to stay injury free.

TOT needs time to develop strength/power. He has the mobility and aggression only we can dream off for a tighthead, just needs to improve the scrummaging. Just remember he is very young and really only emerging on the senior scene.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

When fit --Burns is better than average but never has he shown anything which would class him as first rate --good seceond but definitely to date nothing first rate.

He has struggled at times this year due to injury.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Any footage of the match out there?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Speaking as someone who played every position in the backline though usually centre or fullback along with once as hooker and one flanker, some of you gabshites know the square root of feck all squared about propping, then add that you have the recall of a goldfish.

Rewind to Sept/Oct: Marty was injured and our scrum was being taken apart by all manner of modest front rows. When Marty reemerged all that crap stopped and with EOS gaining traction at LH the scrum became very stable if not exactly a weapon.

Wind back to date: Marty has been absolutely key to the stability of our scrum and not the useless fat lump around the pitch that many of you suggested when mocking him being signed. He has been excellent.

Now, disaster loomed on Friday night after 9 minutes when Marty departed. Ross Kane has had a season top forget, has barely played, but what a performance he gave for 71 minutes on Friday, solid as a rock and like Marty, doing good bits and pieces around the pitch. One moment of note came when they had just scored and another quick try could have had the alarms going off. Kane took the ball forward and looked set to offload an intercept pass for an own-try but had the wit to see it coming and drove forward into contact, retaining the ball. I liked that, a brain is a wonderful thing in a prop.

In my limited propping knowledge, he has the tools and has put in impressive performances, albeit not on a solid consistent basis. I retain high hopes for him.

Those of you sleggin' Marty clearly don't know yer arses from holes in the ground.

Now try to get the odd thing right so I don't have too keep making these instructional posts.

Eh, .................. wise the feckin' bap so I can pissaff into the ether. Goodbye.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

2/3rds of bad scrums are due to bad referees .Referees who know the square root of FA about why scrums and how scrums are disrupted.

Nigel penalised Edinburgh early in the first half and I don’t think there was another scrum penalty in the game . Contrast this to the previous week the referee penalised Ulster and every scrum thereafter was a shambles .

I see know reason why Ulster would continuously scrum illegally against Glasgow and not against Edinburgh it defies logic .

I’ m not saying Nigel always gets it right but if a referee knows how and why and calls it right early it can save many minutes of farting about by the front rows and remove a lot of danger from front row and scrumming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Miss you Baggy; hope all is well.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Was rewatching the highlights. So many good performances and several guys looked like they had their identical twins playing.

Not a big moment but it summed up Hendy for me. Embra had set up a maul on our 22. It was creeping forward and sideways. Hendy took a run at 'er from about 5m and piled in. This was enough to put Embra into reverse gear. Incredible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:Was rewatching the highlights. So many good performances and several guys looked like they had their identical twins playing.

Not a big moment but it summed up Hendy for me. Embra had set up a maul on our 22. It was creeping forward and sideways. Hendy took a run at 'er from about 5m and piled in. This was enough to put Embra into reverse gear. Incredible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The guy is such a freakishly strong man. Seeing him ragdoll SOB down the pitch tells a story in itself. I remember earlier in the season, I can't remember who it was against but he basically tackles a prop, who flops to ground, Hendo picks him up by the shorts and shakes him until the ball is dropped. Wins the turnover. He makes such a difference to Ulster and at the minute, it has to be said, Ireland.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Bart S wrote:Great performance and win. In some ways this was more impressive than the Leinster performance, aside from the fact we obviously won this time!

The Leinster game was one where ulster had nothing to lose, were under no real pressure and had a team full of highly motivated people, whether because of interpro rivalry, ireland selection or wanting to show their old province what they are missing. That is the kind of game where the adrenaline just flows and you get the extra 5% through motivation. Glasgow was tough after that not only to replicate that motivation, but even to get the energy levels back, plus most importantly, ulster were away to a very good side who were highly motivated to put on a good show in front of their own fans after taking a tanking at Saracens.

The up and down nature of recent weeks is because this side is still developing and is not (yet) close to going toe to toe with the big boys week in week out. I’d say Leinster, Munster and Glasgow are the top 3 sides in the league and losing away to that Glasgow team was no disgrace. Yes ulster fell apart but i think physical and mental fatigue set in ince the game started slipping away and we butchered a couple of decent opportunities. This is different from last season, where it seemed like the words away fixture led to a capitulation within 10 minutes of kick off.

Last night was a game where ulster were under huge pressure to deliver against a very good side with a formidable pack. Again last season, there was a softness in the ulster pack which meant teams knew how to beat ulster. Edinburgh would have been favourites at home and the way ulster took the game to them and withstood the pressure was fantastic. Yes they made a lot of errrors but what ulster did was keep the pressure in after the first couple of unforced errors which led to more doubt and panic in their ranks. Even when they came back at 7-22 there was no panic in the way ulster played.

2nd in the conference and a heineken qf represents great progress for the season. Ulster will be favourites for the qf and whilst in some ways anything from now is a bonus, i’d say having got the home qf, we now have genuine expectations to reach the semis.
good post. I think we’ll not just be favourites, we’ll be strong favourites, I’d be expecting a double digit handicap. I’m actually really glad the way this has worked out, because it gives us a chance to right the wrong from earlier in the season, with the home loss vs Connacht. I’m very fond of Connacht and always cheer them on when there’s nothing on the line for Ulster, but i really want us to go out and give them a proper old-fashioned hoking!
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Marco wrote:A mention for Ross Kane, was worried when MM went off so early but the young fellah did superbly, and Nordi was magnificent, just gets on with it each time, are we coming good in time for a huge May?
good shout re Kane, I have to confess more often than not when he comes on my instinct is to worry - he looks quite small for a TH, although he has put a bit of size on in the last year or so - but he’s always really solid, also tackles and carries pretty well. He’s still just 24, young for a TH.
..one more thing
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote:Any footage of the match out there?
Full match on Freesports at 2am tomorrow.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
First sign of madness, allegedly - talking to yersel. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Only way of getting a sensible answer here ;)
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Only way of getting a sensible answer here ;)
Well past first sign if that's wot ya think. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right