The Playoffs

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: The Playoffs

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:2045 flights booked for under 15 quid each.

That’d just about cover a 1730 kick off as the airport should be pretty quiet on a Saturday night.
Better hope there is no extra time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Fresh old breeze down in Galway in game which could confirm Connacht as the playoff opponents. On TG4/Premier Sports 2.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Connacht at home in QF confirmed so.....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

So...we’re at home to Connacht.

Don’t overthink it.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Tender wrote:So...we’re at home to Connacht.

Don’t overthink it.
With the reward of an away game v the Monty Boo-urns XV (making assumption)
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Connacht haven't won in Belfast for a while.

Since October.

They completely annihilated our scrum.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Great test of how far we have progressed this year, especially in the scrum. 4 Irish provinces in the QF, can't complain about that.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Great test of how far we have progressed this year, especially in the scrum. 4 Irish provinces in the QF, can't complain about that.
... and in the Heineken cup :thumleft:

The prospect of 3 Welsh teams scrabbling for the 20th slot is quite amusing :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:Great test of how far we have progressed this year, especially in the scrum. 4 Irish provinces in the QF, can't complain about that.

The prospect of 3 Welsh teams scrabbling for the 20th slot is quite amusing :lol:
and potentially none of them getting it???

Or have I got the criteria wrong?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

and potentially none of them getting it???

Or have I got the criteria wrong?
If Scarlets finish 4th in Conf B, one of them will definitely get it. Scarlets could also still qualify by finishing 3rd if Benetton slip up or finish 5th and miss out if they (Scarlets) slip up and Embra dont ... I think :lol:
Neil can no doubt clarify!

Ps I think it's technically the 19th slot. 20th is the complicated one involving Parker Pen semifinalists etc
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I am of the opinion that it proves the Welsh national side, in the 6 nations ,was hitting above its natural weight. Their 23 squad is strong but they may lack serious depth and injuries could well be their undoing come the world cup.

But glad to note the Irish camp may have seen reality that if the half backs don't perform they face an up hill task -- the defence looks good -- the attack somewhat bare -- but I think Joe was hiding his set piece moves during the 6 nations and Joe usually comes up with some.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:Connacht haven't won in Belfast for a while.

Since October.

Ulster team from October.

Nelson; Kernohan, Curtis, McCloskey, Stockdale; Burns, Cooney; Warwick, Best (capt), O'Toole; O'Connor, Henderson; Rea, Timoney, Coetzee.

Would expect 6-7 changes from that.

Connacht were fully loaded

O'Halloran, Adeolokun, Farrell, Aki, Healy, Carty, Marmion; Buckley, McCartney, Bealham, Dillane, Roux, O'Brien, Butler (capt), Boyle.

Remember Rea got sent off that match and marcel got binned to so we were a man down for over half the game and we still managed a losing BP.

Believe...

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:

Since October.

Ulster team from October.

Nelson; Kernohan, Curtis, McCloskey, Stockdale; Burns, Cooney; Warwick, Best (capt), O'Toole; O'Connor, Henderson; Rea, Timoney, Coetzee.

Would expect 6-7 changes from that.

Connacht were fully loaded

O'Halloran, Adeolokun, Farrell, Aki, Healy, Carty, Marmion; Buckley, McCartney, Bealham, Dillane, Roux, O'Brien, Butler (capt), Boyle.

Remember Rea got sent off that match and marcel got binned to so we were a man down for over half the game and we still managed a losing BP.

Believe...

It's a great testament to Dan and the other coaching staff, as after the Connacht result at Ravers, and the hiding at Munster/Leinster I didn't think we would be in this current position. I do believe that we will win considering the performances against Leinster/Embra, both away, and some very good home wins in the SDC. Connacht will be no pushover, they currently have more points than us and are having a very good season under Friend.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Since October.

We owe them.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

So Treviso have their destiny in their hands. A BP win locks it, a standard win would mean Edinburgh would need a BP win to overhaul them. If Treviso slip up, Edinburgh/Scarlets could get 3rd.

The Euro playoff and 19th spot in Heineken Cup will be the winner of the Cardiff Blues/Ospreys game in R21 hosting Treviso/Edinburgh/Scarlets. Scarlets likely to get BP win v Dragons and get to 55, Edinburgh would need a BP win to stay above them.

Treviso and Scarlets play at 3pm in R21, Edinburgh at 7:35pm.

As for the 20th spot, currently both La Rochelle and Sale in PP are outside the automatic spots in their leagues, but that changes on a weekly basis. They play each other in SF, so likely who wins that get the spot.

The league has not announced their plan for the extra spot criteria, but given it may not be known until end of May if La Rochelle get into top 6 of T14, then I suggest the loser of the Euro playoff gets the 20th spot. Simples!