Lyra McKee

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Marco
Novice

Lyra McKee

Post by Marco »

Two things crossed my mind after I heard about this, I didn’t even know who the young lady was, the same age as my two, but I just saw the presentation she gave (YouTube search TedX Lyra McKee memorial); firstly that there is not a smidgeon of the character and courage that Lyra possessed in her short life in either of the two main political parties in NI, and secondly that, as AF rightly condemns it, that so many in her party will be condemning her to an ‘eternity in hell’ because of her DNA! Only the good die young, RIP to the young lady and thoughts with her partner and all who knew her...
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lyra McKee

Post by shamalicious »

Hear hear, Marco. A dark day indeed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I heard some of her friends talking about her on the radio this morning. She sounded like the type of character that we needed in this country. She had just signed a book deal and had her whole life ahead of her. Only for some thick Warren Gatland to feel the need to shoot dead an umarmed woman, in order to guarantee a united Ireland, because that is the only way...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Lyra was a lovely lovely person with a heart of gold. She had more courage in her wee finger than many of our supposed political leaders. Norn Irn has lost a diamond.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

That utube video had left me a humbler person. It should have been played to the DUP launch at the Kingspan.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Jetstream wrote:That utube video had left me a humbler person. It should have been played to the DUP launch at the Kingspan.
I was at Stormont that night, 10 powerful Ted talks and Lyra's stood out amongst them all. So so sad.

Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Nonplussed, Is this what you're talking about ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymU-5Y3 ... BCgQ1WM1wV
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Yup

Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

It's excellent. She had so much going for her.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

So very sad, just another life snuffed out for old Ireland, when will these people ever wise up? One of the many reasons I resolved several years back not to die in Northern Ireland. Horrible shitehole and yet my shitehole at the same time, wonderful people and people I'd not pish on if they were alight. An enigma wrapped in an insoluble conundrum, the epitome of the good, the bad and the horribly ugly.

Another good decent young person lost..............for what?

Samuel Johnston said "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel", he was right when he said it less than a century after the Battle of the Boyne, but I prefer Oscar Wilde's expression, "patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" that more aptly defines the piece of excrement who ended that young lady's life.

God love Ireland, for by Christ I can't.

Goodbye.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Goodbye.
Au revoir. >EW

Until next time. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

BaggyTrousers wrote:So very sad, just another life snuffed out for old Ireland, when will these people ever wise up? One of the many reasons I resolved several years back not to die in Northern Ireland. Horrible shitehole and yet my shitehole at the same time, wonderful people and people I'd not pish on if they were alight. An enigma wrapped in an insoluble conundrum, the epitome of the good, the bad and the horribly ugly.

Another good decent young person lost..............for what?

Samuel Johnston said "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel", he was right when he said it less than a century after the Battle of the Boyne, but I prefer Oscar Wilde's expression, "patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" that more aptly defines the piece of excrement who ended that young lady's life.

God love Ireland, for by Christ I can't.

Goodbye.
Ditto....except that I would pish on them if they were on fire....but only if I pished high octane petrol. In fact I'd set the phuckers on fire for free.

I too felt the need to breathe better air than the poisonous atmosphere in a land I love. I just can't stomach being in a place where the majority of it's citizens are so f7cking stupid that they vote for criminal murderers and rapists or else a bunch of vile bigots who are actually totally inept in their tiny little minds.

Another soul destroyed by sub human diarrhoea.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It was certainly no accidental killing. Lyra McKee was researching a book on children who went missing during the troubles. They were not properly investigated at the time. Someone didn't like what she was doing. With all those people there and plenty of police, seems suspicious that only she was killed. I hoped a 100 Lyra McKees rise up following this.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I met Lyra a few years ago when she thought I could help with finding some information (I couldn't). She had big ambitions to uncover things from the past that many folk would want to keep buried. I wonder if Dave might be right. My first thought was that she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but maybe there is something more sinister behind her death.

I didn't particularly warm to her as a person, then again, she was an investigative journalist, but she did have a great quality: she could talk for Ireland but she also knew when to listen without butting in, asked good questions and took an honest, 'I don't know' for an answer without complaint.

Maybe she could have been the one to really dig deep. Sadly, we'll never know.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:It was certainly no accidental killing. Lyra McKee was researching a book on children who went missing during the troubles. They were not properly investigated at the time. Someone didn't like what she was doing. With all those people there and plenty of police, seems suspicious that only she was killed. I hoped a 100 Lyra McKees rise up following this.
Evil shower of f-ckers, whatever their reasons.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.