Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Post by Tender »

That was exhausting to watch and I’m sure there’s some really sore bodies today from both teams. I hope the officials slept well and their consciences weren’t keeping them awake...
Aki should have walked..anyone who’d argue against that is simply wrong.
We had Hendy tackled whilst of the ground at a lineout and that led straight onto two clothline tackles and not releasing. That was all in the three minute spell.
I’m really proud of the fight our lads showed. They defended our line resolutely on several occasions and dug in for the win.
The support played their part and the atmosphere was top drawer, although it pretty obvious the drop off in attendance is largely in the Family Stand.
When does the Band’s contract expire?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Tender wrote:When does the Band’s contract expire?
Hopefully before they do ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Any videos on youchoob or whatever Damo? Forgot to record the deferred coverage on TG4.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

shamalicious wrote:The booing was an embarrassment. Ok he should've got a yellow but honest to God we're turning into Glasgow fans.
It is f**king embarassing all right.

At the initial decision, fine. After that, move the f**k on.

[Apart from when it was that chunt Garces sending off Payne and possibly costing us the Hene cup.]
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neill_M wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Ticket sales slow to say the least for Saturday. Only the West Terrace/"Prom" sold out.
That's strange in itself. Is the Prom the new Terrace ir is it because that's where the Westies' standing allocation is?
I do believe the Connacht Clan lads actively told people to buy for the West Terrace so this may well explain it.
Connacht asked for allocation in main stand plus west terrace, no doubt to keep their fans together more
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Much bigger crowd than I expected looking at ticketmaster website during the week. Maybe a lot of people bought at the gate?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Should Aki be cited and will he get a lengthy suspension? 26 weeks? No place in the game for high tackles.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dublin4 wrote:Should Aki be cited and will he get a lengthy suspension? 26 weeks? No place in the game for high tackles.
Only a yellow
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:Should Aki be cited and will he get a lengthy suspension? 26 weeks? No place in the game for high tackles.
Only a yellow
Aye. Not like he headbutted anybody ...
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Given how the scrum was such a weapon for Connacht last time at home was pleased with how it turned out. It felt like it degenerated into something where the ref didn't really have a clue what was going on, and we seemed to win more penalties from it. Tom O'Toole again didn't seem to be a weakness when he came on which is great progress from where he was a year ago.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Lurgan Lad wrote:It felt like it degenerated into something where the ref didn't really have a clue what was going on, and we seemed to win more penalties from it.
I don't think it degenerated into that at all.

He hadn't a clue from the start.

I also objected to the way he continued to speak to Rory about how the scrum had to improve even as he was about to throw into a lineout.

It appeared to me that Brace-yerself just wanted everyone to know he was in charge and no matter how experienced the front rows were in front of him, he knew how to scrummage better than they did. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Dear God the officials seriously fancy themselves, especially Brace. Warming up on the touch line like he thought he was playing. I can understand loosening up and leg stretches but neck and shoulders? Really? Are the whistles And flegs really that heavy? And wee interval sprints and footwork drill and stuff. Laughable. And then some girl shouted something mildly salacious at him. If I was an Ulster Rugby Superfan I could have had her ejected, but he was all chuffed.

The first couple of scrums Connacht looked like they engaged and then collectively stepped back causing Ulster to collapse. We could see it from 50m away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:Dear God the officials seriously fancy themselves, especially Brace. Warming up on the touch line like he thought he was playing. I can understand loosening up and leg stretches but neck and shoulders? Really? Are the whistles And flegs really that heavy? And wee interval sprints and footwork drill and stuff. Laughable. And then some girl shouted something mildly salacious at him. If I was an Ulster Rugby Superfan I could have had her ejected, but he was all chuffed.

The first couple of scrums Connacht looked like they engaged and then collectively stepped back causing Ulster to collapse. We could see it from 50m away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
During their "warm up", he ran up to Clancy in one of his drills and then side-stepped him. They both thought this was hilarious. I was thinking he was a weapons grade twunt already.
Last edited by Dave on Sun May 05, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

In a heavily contested field, he’s amongst the top three twunts.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Just rewatched the game.

Marcell is an absolute beast. An unbelievable shift from him. The most carries and top tackler. Jack McGrath will have his work cut out getting in ahead of EOS. Super player. Big performance again from Hendo. Treadwell was also excellent. That offload was superb. The hit on Carty was exactly what you want from your big no. 5. Timoney owns that 6 shirt for me now. Jordi is Mr Reliable again.

The officials are not interested in offside as an offence anymore. That law is dead it seems. The backs were a bit suffocated as a result. Major downside yesterday was the lineout. It was too predictable. Glasgow will be rubbing their hands watching it.