Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Post by againstthehead »

Ulster really have an a remarkable season considering the last 18 months or so. I haven't been able to watch the side as much as previous seasons so what has went right? Coach, players or a combination of everything?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

againstthehead wrote:Ulster really have an a remarkable season considering the last 18 months or so. I haven't been able to watch the side as much as previous seasons so what has went right? Coach, players or a combination of everything?
It's a bit of both, players and coaches. The injury jinx has not been as vicious as previous years. Marcell in particular has been excellent. It really shows what we have missed. Having Hendo, Jordi, Rory and Marcell available for big games has been great. The emergence of EOS and the signing of Marty Moore has helped the scrum considerably. Dan seems to have had a great effect on Treadwell, Timoney EOS.

Also in the backs the emergence of Baloucoune, Lowry and Lyttle with some luck on the injury front. Will Addison has been a revelation. Luke has returned on form.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

All true Dave but we only got one more point than we did last year!

Edinburgh and Scarlets dropping 17 or 18 points has been fairly key - our squeaky bum victories against them early doors were massive results.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:All true Dave but we only got one more point than we did last year!

Edinburgh and Scarlets dropping 17 or 18 points has been fairly key - our squeaky bum victories against them early doors were massive results.
True but it took time to get the team to current performance levels. Some shocking early results.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

The early results were a legacy of Kiss and Gibbes. Will be interesting to see the reception Gibbes will get at Kingspan if La Rochelle come to call.
London Irish would get a mixed reception with Kiss being offset by their announcement today.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

It's also fair to say that our trajectory of on pitch improvement has steadily improved since the start of November, we really hit our straps when we beat Racing @ home early January and haven't looked back since. The low point came at the end of September start of October with that crushing defeat in Limerick followed by The Westies beating us at home the following weekend. The best way I can explain it is like an old diesel engine that hasn't been fired up for a while, we coughed and spluttered at the start but have started to make that sweet sound of old after some tuning.

It would appear it has taken time for Dan to get to know his players and in turn for them to bed into how he wants them to play. We are by far not the finished article, a full pre season under Dan excites me.

I wouldn't get too caught up with the fact we are only one point better off than we were last season, I'm unsure you can even draw parallels to last year. The rugby we were playing last season was predictable, it was turgid, players looked grey and jaded. We are now playing exciting rugby, players look engaged, you can see the game plan and methodical team selection. Everyone knows their job and where they need to be and when.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

If we had not had Coetzee fit for most of the year - I'm not sure if it would have been that much different from previous.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sure - in many respects it looks like chalk and cheese but the margins are very fine, as Hendy pointed out.

Lest we forget, Kiss would have won the Pro 14 save for Smiler Lutton and the Diving Warrior.

Anyway, we've got a semi to look forward to.

As the actress said to the bishop.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Facing usual problem for this game at this stage of competitions.

Don't want to book travel (bus/boat day return) until we know if Supporters Club are organising day return travel (albeit returning in the wee small hours on Saturday) and we know that we can get tickets (looks like we have until 10am Thursday for priority booking).

And likewise don't want to book tickets if we haven't got travel set up ie sure that get home without staying overnite in Glasgow.

Reckon we'll probably settle for watching on the telly.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote:All true Dave but we only got one more point than we did last year!

True but it took time to get the team to current performance levels. Some shocking early results.
Leinster away in Jan was a watershed. Only lost 2 games since and one of those was the HC qf.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep - a bloody good effort.

It would be churlish to mention the two draws, the four 1 point wins and the 2 point win that could all so easily have gone the other way but the mention of Marcel is a very valid one.

The 'fight for every inch thing' seems to have been well and truly embraced though. Even on Saturday, it took a very solid display to win - the stats suggest it was easier than it really was.

Hopefully, there is enough collective strength left to front up to the Warriors. Having Stockdale available would make it very interesting.....
Rem99
Initiate

Post by Rem99 »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Facing usual problem for this game at this stage of competitions.

Don't want to book travel (bus/boat day return) until we know if Supporters Club are organising day return travel (albeit returning in the wee small hours on Saturday) and we know that we can get tickets (looks like we have until 10am Thursday for priority booking).

And likewise don't want to book tickets if we haven't got travel set up ie sure that get home without staying overnite in Glasgow.

Reckon we'll probably settle for watching on the telly.
https://www.travel-solutions.co.uk/tour ... inal/1019/
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I’ve mentioned before, but Treadwell seems to thrive in the presence of Coatzee. He makes breaks and hits a few tackles, which is so out of character for him. Long may it last.
Ballacoune has improved and he made some great tackles last Saturday. Lowry and him both try to run the ball every time they get hold of it, which is something which needs addressed.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We didn't have Hendo in the 30-7 defeat over there in the league. That's 15 point swing in itself. I hope it will at least be a bit more competitive.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Thanks for the link REM99. We are pondering the matter. I suppose £79 return travel aint bad and no overnight accommodation needed. And a bit of drinking on the boat wud seem in order.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh