Bill Johnston

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kanbei
Novice

Bill Johnston

Post by Kanbei »

On his way according to Thornley

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 0?mode=amp

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
pg106
Initiate

Re: Bill Johnston

Post by pg106 »

Makes no sense to me, would rather have Lowry at 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Seems like quite the talent, although so is Lowry.

Sammy Arnold lookalike? :lol:
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

pg106 wrote:Makes no sense to me, would rather have Lowry at 10
I think it depends a bit on the terms on which he has been brought here. I doubt he has been told he will start, just that he will have a fair crack of the whip. If he comes and plays his way into a starting berth then we will be better for it, if he doesn't we have better cover than we do now. I assume he won't be on a huge wage. That said i have high hopes for Lowry too.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Would provide some more depth at 10 which is badly needed. Wonder how it affects Lowry’s long term future as in whether Dan sees him as a 10 or 15.

I don’t think Lowry will be first choice 15 and by all accounts 10 is his position and we have no depth there, so he should be given a chance. I do wonder if Dan is not convinced he has what it takes to be a good 10 at this level as he seems to have little trust in him there so far. I did think much of this was due to the need for a 15 and in fairness he has done well there most of the time, but the leinster game made me think that maybe Dan does not see him as a viabke alternative to Burns that he wants to explore.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

No Leliafano then

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

A BJ at outhalf.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Shan might be able to tell more, from memory this kid was going to be the next big thing, there was massive buzz about him coming through as a big talent. As article suggests injury has hampered his progress.

Johnston coming in will do Lowry no harm, competition breeds excellence, if he cannot handle the pressure of a rival around his own his age pushing for the same position then he's lacking the mental strength to play big game rugby. I've no doubt though young Lowry will relish this.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Jackie Brown wrote:No Leliafano then

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Maybe, Lealiifano would be the finished product ready to start Heine rugby today, Johnston would require more time.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I don't think signing BJ would be any indication that Lowry would go down the pecking order at 10. He's coming as third choice 10, imo. Better than 4th or 5th at Munster.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

I just wonder if Lowry will be moving elsewhere before too long. Wouldn't blame him. We'd be knocked down in the rush to sign him. Totally wasted at 15. Dan's done a great job so far, but playing a natural fly-half at full-back is mystifying. Paddy Wallace comes to mind as one who had his career knocked off the rails by a similar selection gaffe.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Think they should have signed the other Bill that Munster have Bill Healy
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Given the resources available due to injury etc the decision by Dan to play Lowry at full back was more down to necessity than choice. Lowry certainly brings excitement and bravery on the field but he does give
You some heart stopping moments when he plays. Unfortunately the more he plays the more he is worked out by the opposition.
On the question of Paddy Wallace I think personally that like Mark McCall who also stated life as a 10 he found his best position When he moved to 12.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

McPhillips I believe is coming to the end of a 2yr deal, I am unaware of a new deal, and he has hardly played this season. This may be a replacement, rather than any reflection of Lowry. ML is clearly a 10, but any first team exposure at this point is great development for him.