2018/19 End of Season Review

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

2018/19 End of Season Review

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Thought this topic deserved its own thread. Mainly because I would love to look back at it in 12 months time to see where we are against now.

In my own mind despite last nights thrashing we are well ahead of our three year rebuild, Dan has yet to have a preseason with his lads, there are new recruits on the way mainly in the form of Roddy Grant who is Dans own chosen man. I feel Roddy is going to completely revolutionize our forward game next season for which I'm looking forward to.

Our playing style is evolving week on week, this will give Dan more tactical options going forward which will make us more difficult for the opposition to study and work out. Dan mentioned pre Christmas that there is only one way we really can play due to our current at the time limitations. I'd like to see our options grow, the ability to change our style / tactics to suit weather conditions, the opposition and what we actually need to get out of a game.

Highlights have to be our two away European group game wins, the win at home to Racing (little Lowrys tackle on the Fijian) and that Quarter Final at Lansdowne.

If we could make a league and euro quarter final next year I would be ecstatic.

I'm already counting down the days to the start of next season, this time last year I'd have been happy never to have seen a rugby ball again.

:red: :fleg:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: 2018/19 End of Season Review

Post by big mervyn »

Dan's problem will be managing expectations for next season.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

big mervyn wrote:Dan's problem will be managing expectations for next season.
Agreed. We have lost a serious amount of experience and leadership the past couple of seasons, that cannot be easily replaced. There aren't a huge amount of people that you would consider for the captaincy and expect that they would do a great job of it. Realistically if we if we did something similar next year to this year you couldn't really label it a disappointment.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
Agreed. We have lost a serious amount of experience and leadership the past couple of seasons, that cannot be easily replaced. There aren't a huge amount of people that you would consider for the captaincy and expect that they would do a great job of it. Realistically if we if we did something similar next year to this year you couldn't really label it a disappointment.
Who are we thinking for captain? Hendo?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

As others have said, weak link at 10 needs to be addressed.

King, any further recruitment?

Herring will probably be made club captain.

That was pretty close to our first choice 15 and conceded 50 points. No great expectation from me for next season.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

shamalicious wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:
Who are we thinking for captain? Hendo?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I guess if he is away with Ireland a good bit probably wouldn't go for him. Coetzee would be my choice as barring injury should be free for every match, leads by example, great position on the pitch to influence the ref.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Luke Marshall would be a decent choice also.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Posted this on the wrong thread obviously. Doh!!

Anyhow, end of terms report:
Front Row - Good- improvement of EOS and Kane. Bad - Rory retiring, not sure if Herring is good enough to be our first choice hooker. Hopes- McBurney to develop quickly?
Second Row - Good- Treadwell has improved. Bad - our lineout stinks. Hopes - Carter will be an enforcer and leader?
Back row - Good - Marcel & Nordi look good. Timoney as well. Bad - lack of turnovers and lineout options. Hopes - another signing (unlikely)
Scrum Half - Good-Shanahan has improved. Bad - Ireland have wrecked Cooney. Hopes - see back row hopes.
Out Half - Good - hard to think of any! Bad - Burns is not good enough. Hopes - Obvious=bring back Paddy.
Centres - Good - big Stu has played well. Bad - as committed as he is Luke hinders fluent back play with his poor passing skills. Hopes - Dan finds a couple of good combinations to give us options.
Back 3- Good - Young wingers have looked good. Bad - Injuries and strange selections at times. Hopes - again settled combinations to give us consistent options.

Well thats it folks. My wisdom has been shared lol.

Expectations for next year would see us stagnate as a team who will win at home and will have the occasional storming performance. But again likely to be trophy less. Hopes would be that the Ulster spirit of old would return where we can be proud of who we are and what we represent. That we get a bit of grit back into the side and into the organisation and stop dancing to our sponsor's tunes. But hey I'll not hold my breath.
LTHG
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

All things being considered it was a productive season. Marcell's recovery being a major plus. The blooding of some Academy players has been a very positive exercise. Some very good results and performances. Dan seems to have a clear philosophy and I think the players are buying into it. A long way to go. I don't have any expectations in terms of achieving a certain goal but I do in terms of performance. Friday's performance was unacceptable on many levels. The defeat was always going to happen but to capitulate like that after all the hardwork in getting there was a bitter pill to swallow.

Next season, we have the makings of a very good pack and backline. Unfortunately massive issues, created by the IRFU, remain at 9 and 10 remain.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Results wise, we won the most of the games we should have won and lost most of the games we were expected to lose. A few notable exceptions obviously. As to progress next year, I'd like to see us be a bit more convincing in the former and be competing for LBPs in the latter.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Someone has to be the optimist! I think we will win silverware next year. The five new guys look good and with the injuries back - Moore, Addison and Gilroy we will have a squad. I do strongly feel Lowry is a fly-half and too small to be a full-back. For some reason he has not been tried at 10 ?!?! The critical mass will be how the Academy develops; we need depth at centre and back-row from it.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Better season than we could have hoped for, but expectations were low.
We still have problems at 9 & 10, so unless something changes in that department during the summer I expect a similar outcome next season.
On a positive note, my new seating position in the Mem Stand was an improvement on previous season’s.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

All in all a great more positives than negatives:
Addison and moore have been great additions.
Treaders is starting to fulfil his promise.
Marcel is killing dead things.
Some youngsters have shown they will thrive in the pro game.
Deadwood cut plus the new signings will add to squad depth & quality.

As mentioned before we need more depth at 9 & 10 and consistency of performance is still a worry, but I say in Dan we trust!!
ST bought again and roll on the new season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

If Burns remains in the team / squad we will win nothing :duh:
He's beyond useless - I've given him a year and he's worse at the end of the season than he was at the start. If Dan can't see that then there's little hope for the future!!!! :banghead:
Finished
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The problem for Dan is that we are stuck with him. Hopefully Lowry is given more of a chance with more options at full back next season.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?