Pre Season Friendlies 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Pre Season Friendlies 2019/20

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster v Glasgow Sat 7th September 1:30pm
Glasgow v Ulster Sat 14th September 2:30pm

Home one clashes with one of the RWC warm up games - Ireland v Wales on the 7th at 2pm.
Aird
Squire

Re: Pre Season Friendlies 2019/20

Post by Aird »

Not impressed by a 1:30 pm Kick Off on a Saturday on the First Saturday back, Schools And Club Rugby will probably have commenced so why not play this on either Friday or Saturday night.
It is not as if theTV companies were dictating this time to fit in with their schedules.
I cannot see any benefit to this time especially if Ulster Rugby want to maximise their revenue.
For the half committed supporters who may have considered coming to the game faced with the hassle of making it to
Kings span for 1:30 or watching Ireland on Tv it will be an easy choice and even the committed may succumb to the temptation.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Oh great. Glasgow.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Aird wrote:Not impressed by a 1:30 pm Kick Off on a Saturday on the First Saturday back, Schools And Club Rugby will probably have commenced so why not play this on either Friday or Saturday night.
It is not as if theTV companies were dictating this time to fit in with their schedules.
I cannot see any benefit to this time especially if Ulster Rugby want to maximise their revenue.
For the half committed supporters who may have considered coming to the game faced with the hassle of making it to
Kings span for 1:30 or watching Ireland on Tv it will be an easy choice and even the committed may succumb to the temptation.
Cheapest logistically. Team bus over and back on the ferry same day for players. No over night stay or charters required due to a late kick off.

Just my guess. I can understand your frustration though.

My own appetite for pre season friendlies has dwindled to zero over the years. Wouldnt open my curtains to watch it if it was in my garden.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Aird wrote:Not impressed by a 1:30 pm Kick Off on a Saturday on the First Saturday back, Schools And Club Rugby will probably have commenced so why not play this on either Friday or Saturday night.
Cheapest logistically. Team bus over and back on the ferry same day for players. No over night stay or charters required due to a late kick off.

My own appetite for pre season friendlies has dwindled to zero over the years. Wouldnt open my curtains to watch it if it was in my garden.
#buildthatbridge
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Dave wrote:Oh great. Glasgow.

2 defeats to start the season off. Reckon they’ll announce a 3rd friendly in due course....probably the Mexicans.

Here’s hoping we get a few English teams in the Hieny draw: Hairyqueens and Exeter would be good for my travels. And then Brentwood Irish the year after.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

The only thing worse is watching retired players running about for chariteee. Oh aye, and the Barbarians; their games are a pretty shyte watch tbh. No substitute for a genuinely competitive game regardless of quality.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

TopPoster wrote:

2 defeats to start the season off. Reckon they’ll announce a 3rd friendly in due course....probably the Mexicans.

Here’s hoping we get a few English teams in the Hieny draw: Hairyqueens and Exeter would be good for my travels. And then Brentwood Irish the year after.
Brentford.

Less glamorous.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

justinr73 wrote:
TopPoster wrote:

Brentford.

Less glamorous.
Good spot - frigging autocorrect. But ya know whadda meant.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neill_M wrote:Ulster v Glasgow Sat 7th September 1:30pm

Home one clashes with one of the RWC warm up games - Ireland v Wales on the 7th at 2pm.
Going by flight prices Glasgow are flying in Saturday morning and back home Saturday evening, Ulster have either not booked yet or are not doing a day trip following week.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote:Ulster v Glasgow Sat 7th September 1:30pm
There was a time when these matches could be described as friendlies. Had some great times at the likes of Hughendun - they weren't "friendlies" of course, but they were played in a friendly environment and a sense of sportsmanship. Happy days.

Can never think of a match against themuns as friendlies any more though ...

... and they started it ...

... so they did!

:evil:

No cricket arranged for that day yet ... but with our weather (or maybe even a wee cup run) hopefully there will be a rearrangement to fit in then.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Preseason friendlies are basically a meaningful contact training session to assess the depth in the squad . The academy players who might be called on in a break glass emergency ,and assessing them when playing with more experienced team mates.

The result is secondary-- practice the drills and sling the ball stuff, a game without tactics.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

A pre season friendly against a Trevor Brennan Select XV might get me along.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:A pre season friendly against a Trevor Brennan Select XV might get me a long.
A long what?

If I thought TB himself would be there with a chance that he might come into the crowd to, ahem , "discuss" your ongoing campaign of counting the days since his day of infamy, etc, I would certainly come to watch that. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Was there not a conclusion on another thread that Diageo the maker of Guinness were to blame for the stinkin pint therefore Trevor Brennan in effect was a victim of circumstance.

Diageo fecks
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18