Match Preview: Munster Rugby v Ulster Rugby

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Match Preview: Munster Rugby v Ulster Rugby

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www.munsterrugby.ie/images/conte ... est-02.gif[/tag][tag=content]Well we’re in, that’s about all I can say really.

And now that the worst kept secret in Ulster has been released (welcome back Ian!), we can return to the rugby, and this week we conclude our regular season’s action in Limerick with a third interprovincial clash in four games. I don’t know who makes the fixture list for the Pro12, but whoever did this season must have a grudge against us or something.

Anyway, fourth place is where we will finish this season, and another trip to the RDS looms large either next Friday or Saturday. Therefore I don’t think many will argue with the weakened side that Mark Anscombe has selected for this week with that game in mind – shipping any more injuries to first team players would reduce our chances from low to nearly zero.

So we head to Thomond Park in the forlorn hope that our fringe players can somehow cause one of the biggest upsets of the entire season. Although whenever you remember that this team steamrollered the best Toulouse had to offer just over a month ago, you realise that the twenty-three heading to Munster will have to play their hearts out just to be within striking distance of the Red Army, let alone have a chance of winning.

In that way I feel rather strange this week, writing a match preview for a game where we’re automatically assuming we’re going to lose. For those of us making the eight-hour round trip down south (myself included), hopefully the young guys will make a fist of it and at least give Munster a game of it. Denying them a try bonus point might end up being something of a victory in itself by full time!

Still, let’s hope there’ll be a few things to cheer anyway. As much as the result doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, a battling performance from which we can emerge with our heads held high will spur a few of the guys on into next week when we’ll need everything we’ve got to be the first team to win away in the Pro12 play-offs.

One game at a time though, eh?

Rob Penney is able to make ten changes to the side that comprehensively dismantled Edinburgh last week. Simon Zebo moves from full-back to the wing allowing Felix Jones to return at 15 while the other wing spot is taken by Gerhard van den Heever. Casey Laulala and James Downey resume their centre partnership while Ian Keatley and Duncan Williams form a new half-back pairing. Up front Dave Kilcoyne and Damien Varley return in the front row, while Dave Foley is back in the second row. Sean Dougall and James Coughlan are recalled to the back row with Paddy Butler shifting from number eight to blindside flanker.

Anscombe has elected to make twelve changes to the team that lost to Leinster last week with only Rob Herring, Andrew Warwick and Nick Williams keeping their places. Craig Gilroy, David McIlwaine and Rory Scholes form a new back three combo while Michael Allen and Stuart McCloskey are the centres. Michael Heaney and James McKinney start alongside each other for the first time as a half-back partnership. Up front Callum Black is the only change to the front row with Lewis Stevenson and Dan Tuohy, who captains the side, packing down at lock. Mike McComish and Sean Doyle are the two new flankers.

For all those bemoaning the poor side we’re sending to Limerick, I say that maybe it’s a blessing in disguise that we’re guaranteed just fourth. With effectively a “week off” to prepare for the semi-finals, allow some wounds to heal and to do some extra analysis on Leinster – I mean, whoever we will play in the semis…

As for this week, it could be a case of the sooner it’s over, the better.

Munster Rugby vs. Ulster Rugby
Saturday 10th May, 18:30
Thomond Park
RaboDirect Pro12 – Round 22

MUNSTER RUGBY
15. Felix Jones, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Casey Laulala, 12. James Downey, 11. Simon Zebo, 10. Ian Keatley, 9. Duncan Williams; 1. Dave Kilcoyne, 2. Damien Varley (capt), 3. John Ryan, 4. Dave Foley, 5. Paul O’Connell, 6. Paddy Butler, 7. Sean Dougall, 8. James Coughlan.

16. Quentin MacDonald, 17. James Cronin, 18. Alan Cotter, 19. Billy Holland, 20. Tommy O’Donnell, 21. Conor Murray, 22. JJ Hanrahan, 23. Keith Earls.

ULSTER RUGBY
15. Craig Gilroy, 14. David McIlwaine, 13. Michael Allen, 12. Stuart McCloskey, 11. Rory Scholes, 10. James McKinney, 9. Michael Heaney; 1. Callum Black, 2. Rob Herring, 3. Andrew Warwick, 4. Lewis Stevenson, 5. Dan Tuohy (capt), 6. Mike McComish, 7. Sean Doyle, 8. Nick Williams.

16. Kyle McCall, 17. Bronson Ross, 18. Adam Macklin, 19. Neil McComb, 20. Conor Joyce, 21. David Shanahan, 22. Ricky Andrew, 23. Peter Nelson.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 110th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Dudley Phillips, Gary Conway (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Eddie Walsh (WRU)
TMO: Alan Rogan (IRFU)[/tag]