Lewis Stevenson leaves Ulster with immediate effect

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Lewis Stevenson leaves Ulster with immediate effect

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www.setanta.com/ie/wp-content/up ... venson.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster second row Lewis Stevenson has been granted an early release from his contract to join Aviva Premiership side Exeter Chiefs with immediate effect.

Stevenson, 31, was contracted until the end of the season, however he has been allowed to join Exeter with immediate effect due to Exeter’s injury problems in the second row.

Stevenson only started four games this season, with his last appearance coming in the 24-23 win over Oyonnax where he only played in the first half.

The second row is no stranger to the Chiefs having played there for the 2008/09 season before moving to Harlequins and then coming to Ulster in 2011.

The former Ballyclare High School man represented Ulster on 89 occasions and scored one try for his province, which came against Treviso earlier this season.

“I am extremely proud to have played a part in this Ulster team over the last five seasons,” Stevenson commented on his departure. “Every time I pulled on the shirt it meant something to me.

“However, the time is right for me to face a new challenge and I am excited about being part of Exeter Chiefs again. I appreciate how Ulster have handled this and I wish them every success for the rest of the season.”

Bryn Cunningham, Ulster’s Operations Director, paid tribute to Stevenson’s contribution and efforts for his province during his four-year stint.

“We wish Lewis all the very best as he embarks on a new challenge with Exeter, a club that he is very familiar with. Having been a big part of the Ulster squad, Lewis will be missed both on and off the pitch by many of the guys who have donned the white jersey with him.

“There was a great send-off for him in the changing room after the Oyonnax game at the weekend!

“Player welfare is crucial for this club and in dealing closely with his agent and with Lewis himself, we believe that this outcome will give him the best chance of furthering his rugby career.

“It also gives an opportunity during the remainder of the current season for Academy players like John Donnan and Alex Thompson, who have been working with Pete Browne in the ‘A’ set-up, to move up the pecking order, therefore getting exposure at a higher level, as we continue to develop our young, home-grown indigenous players.

“With the addition of the very promising and exciting Kieran Treadwell coming in next season, plus the current impressive displays and continued improvement of Alan O’Connor, this again bolsters our resources of planning for the future in the second row.”
[/tag]