Ian Humphreys to retire at the end of the season

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Ian Humphreys to retire at the end of the season

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/62 ... 564212.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster Rugby fly-half Ian Humphreys has confirmed today that he will retire from rugby at the end of the season.

The 33-year old, who turns 34 next month, made his debut for his province against the Newport-Gwent Dragons back in 2008 and has gone on to make 113 appearances for Ulster, scoring 745 points in that time.

He made his 100th appearance for Ulster last season against the Scarlets at the Kingspan Stadium and has featured eight times this season under Les Kiss.

The fly-half also spent two terms in England having played for Leicester Tigers between 2005 and 2008 and then London Irish from 2012 to 2014.

“Unfortunately my body is telling me it’s time to stop,” Humphreys commented on his decision to retire.

“I feel blessed to have enjoyed such a long career, the undoubted highlight of which has been achieving 100 caps for my home province. I would like to thank everyone who has been part of my journey, particularly my wife Jenny, my daughters Anna and Zoe and the rest of my family.”

Ulster’s Operations Director Bryn Cunningham paid tribute to Humphreys’ contributions for Ulster over the years.

“Throughout his career, ‘Mini Humph’ has been one of the stand-out attacking tens in European Rugby,” Cunningham claimed.

“However, it is possibly his organisational and communication skills with players around him, often unseen by those watching, that made Ian such an influential person to have around the team.

“Everyone at Ulster Rugby wishes Ian, Jenny and the kids the very best for the future.”
[/tag]