When and What should the Band Play?

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

URSC Secretary
Initiate

When and What should the Band Play?

Post by URSC Secretary »

Over the past couple of months we have had a small band playing near the food "village" pre match and from the Family Stand during the match.

I am well aware that some do not care for the band in any circumstances. Others think it adds to the occasion and others are concerned that the timing and tunes are inappropriate for game situation.

Bands have enhanced the French rugby scene for many years and I think we should at least give our band a chance!

Some of the URSC Committee will be meeting with the band and Ulster Rugby tomorrow to give constructive feedback and suggest when (position of the play on the pitch, situation of match etc) and what (SUFTUM, Tell me Ma, Ulster Till I die....etc) should be played by the band.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

URSC Secretary
Visit our web site:

http://www.ursc.co
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: When and What should the Band Play?

Post by Russ »

Before game. Half time. After game

SUFTUM to get crowd going before game. Whatever the feck they want during those other times

sent from my crozier
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Burn them. :duck:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(That's my way of keeping this thread at the top)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Before, during HT and after the game is good. Choice of tunes is OK, but what about her eyes? duck!

During the game, they need to observe the happenings on the pitch, and only play when theres an extended interruption and the crowd have gone quiet.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Personally I'm not a fan but if we have to have a band then, what Russ said, plus definitely no playing when play is in progress!!!! >threaten
Finished
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Firstly - I am normally a pretty skeptical sort of person. But I have to say the band have thus far done a pretty good job. They're not exactly my taste, but they have walked the rope of too much/too little / right-time/wrong-time pretty well IMHO. Perhaps the good offices of the URSC could pass on my congratulaions (like they're bothered).

A couple of times, I've thought - shut the * up; but not nearly as often as I feared i would.

So, basically there is no need to play music while the ball is deep in either 22. I think they get it right by playing when there is a prolonged break in play - but NOT during an injury (rule of thumb: Play when Tom needs a new lense, but not when someone's being put on a spinal board).

Half-time, etc: I was discussing with others recently what would be suitable to enhance the match day experience and other than the obvious (replace the bar management company), I have to say I have strugggled to come up with suggestions. I know what I don't want (a Sarri-esque atmosphere formula), but it's difficult to come up with other suggestiopns that may get those more aloof supporters involved. (From the start I respect a spectators right to simply spectate, but I'm told there are some who wish to get more vocal, but are a just a little shy). If things get quiet during the less attractive phases of play, then I have no real objection to a couple of bars (I never object to bars) in order to give the crowd a gentle poke.

The use of the big-screen was suggested, as a promt/aid to what some may mistakenly refer to as singing. But what songs? SOmetimes these things lose credibility when they become mainstream. SUFTUM did; but perserverance has taken it beyond that again.

The only thing I could come up with for the big screen (other than sticking it on Newcastle strand as a wind break), would be the old video of the 99 squad doing wild-rover.

Away-trip pub songs could also be tried (for example snow patrol), but I don't know how that would translate into a stadium environment.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Adds to the atmos in the concession area and at HT but frankly, not great during the game.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:Firstly - I am normally a pretty skeptical sort of person. But I have to say the band have thus far done a pretty good job. They're not exactly my taste, but they have walked the rope of too much/too little / right-time/wrong-time pretty well IMHO. Perhaps the good offices of the URSC could pass on my congratulaions (like they're bothered).

A couple of times, I've thought - shut the * up; but not nearly as often as I feared i would.

So, basically there is no need to play music while the ball is deep in either 22. I think they get it right by playing when there is a prolonged break in play - but NOT during an injury (rule of thumb: Play when Tom needs a new lense, but not when someone's being put on a spinal board).

Half-time, etc: I was discussing with others recently what would be suitable to enhance the match day experience and other than the obvious (replace the bar management company), I have to say I have strugggled to come up with suggestions. I know what I don't want (a Sarri-esque atmosphere formula), but it's difficult to come up with other suggestiopns that may get those more aloof supporters involved. (From the start I respect a spectators right to simply spectate, but I'm told there are some who wish to get more vocal, but are a just a little shy). If things get quiet during the less attractive phases of play, then I have no real objection to a couple of bars (I never object to bars) in order to give the crowd a gentle poke.

The use of the big-screen was suggested, as a promt/aid to what some may mistakenly refer to as singing. But what songs? SOmetimes these things lose credibility when they become mainstream. SUFTUM did; but perserverance has taken it beyond that again.

The only thing I could come up with for the big screen (other than sticking it on Newcastle strand as a wind break), would be the old video of the 99 squad doing wild-rover.

Away-trip pub songs could also be tried (for example snow patrol), but I don't know how that would translate into a stadium environment.
I vote BR as band master for Friday night as this is a pretty good answer all round.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As a founder member of the Feck-the-Band faction, I have to say I am coming round more to BR's view.

Whilst watching the dreadful performance at the Zebre home game, I made the chance remark to my china, "if it wasn't for the band this atmosphere would be deader than General Gadaffi after a wee game of hide & seek up a drainpipe." :shock:

In short, there is a place for them. However I find the huge proportion of their repertoire offensive. Fine perhaps for before or after the game but during the game, I would limit them to repetitions of SUFTU & only when given the nod by someone who knows their rugby. Give me a walkie talkie & I will happily issue the order to play.

As others have said, not when an injury appears remotely serious but fine when TC is changing contact lenses. They can play a useful part in whipping up a noise at times & I wouldn't get too precious about the timing.

The sharper tools in this box will notice I didn't mention them playing at half-time. We have very enthusiastic nippers out on the pitch and it would be a gross impertinence to have their big moment at HQ lessened by a silver band concert. Have to say I enjoy the nippers efforts and it should not have musical accompaniment.

Finally, as something of a side issue, can someone please impress upon them that they should be able to perform "You can stick your Anglo-Welsh up yer hole" tomorrow night. It would be the only acceptable addition to SUFTU during the game.
Thank you.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I agree entirely with BR on the playing during an injury break - respect for an injured player means keep it shut. (but Tom getting a new eye is okay).

Where i would disagree SLIGHTLY is if we are defending our 5m line and (as often happens) the crowd has gone quiet, that is exactly the time i try to get the crowd going - nearly always with Stand Up fer the Ulstermen.

Stevie F mentioned this the other night that when defending desperately if the crowd start that, it does give them a lift and get the adrenaline going - maybe, just maybe THAT is the time for the band to start SUFTUM, but I would suggest that no other tune is acceptable at that stage - it NEEDS the crowd to join in to give the team a lift, it is not intended to bring a wee smile to the faces of the worried onlookers, it is solely to lift the crowd to lift the players.

Having said that, I'm on record as saying I'm not a fan, but if they limit their input and choose their moments, maybe they can become an assett.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Where i would disagree SLIGHTLY is if we are defending our 5m line and (as often happens) the crowd has gone quiet, that is exactly the time i try to get the crowd going - nearly always with Stand Up fer the Ulstermen.
Call me a traditionalist Grumpy, but defending 5m out, I always go for 'Ulster, Ulster, Ulster' - two octaves lower than for an opposition line-out. Breaking into SUFTUM only when the tide looks like it's starting to turn. ;)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Any chance of a bag pipe?

sent from my crozier
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Where i would disagree SLIGHTLY is if we are defending our 5m line and (as often happens) the crowd has gone quiet, that is exactly the time i try to get the crowd going - nearly always with Stand Up fer the Ulstermen.
Call me a traditionalist Grumpy, but defending 5m out, I always go for 'Ulster, Ulster, Ulster' - two octaves lower than for an opposition line-out. Breaking into SUFTUM only when the tide looks like it's starting to turn. ;)

I can live with that (I don't call ULSTER ULSTER a "tune") - however, if no one else joins in it's not great. With a band starting up (with something simple), there is more chance some will waken up and support the team instead of spactating at an impending car-crash!

just my opinion.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Oh aye - and the Taurino bugle before restarts - why not?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Russ wrote:Any chance of a bag pipe?

sent from my crozier

Nooooo! We're not in Edinburgh or Glasgae!