Ask Anscombe

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

TheSnapper
Novice

Re: Ask Anscombe

Post by TheSnapper »

BR wrote:Nearly forgot - he also insulted clowns.
Such as?

Maybe Payne will be playing 13, just not in Belfast.
Available for weddings May to August only
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

TheSnapper wrote:
BR wrote:Nearly forgot - he also insulted clowns.
Such as?

Maybe Payne will be playing 13, just not in Belfast.
If only Schnapps, I fear our team is to be buggered about for the ambitions of two Kiwi's with a third complicit unless the good doctor gasses the Muppet first.

Kiwis out.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tevez
Initiate

Post by Tevez »

Mark again denied the Payne to Leinster rumour....recently signed 2 year contract and has just bought a house in Belfast. He also reminded us that Payne played centre for the Blues before coming to Ulster...
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Tevez wrote:Mark again denied the Payne to Leinster rumour....recently signed 2 year contract and has just bought a house in Belfast. He also reminded us that Payne played centre for the Blues before coming to Ulster...
Did he, or anyone else make any mention of the fact that Payne, and the Ulster side in general are not nearly as effective when Payne plays 13? I mean, maybe the good of the team comes second place to one player's ambitions/one coach's ideas, but in the old days they used to pick the team based on how they would perform.

If he fancied a run in the back row (or Anscombe fancied him having a run in the back row), would that be accommodated too?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tevez wrote:Mark again denied the Payne to Leinster rumour....recently signed 2 year contract and has just bought a house in Belfast. He also reminded us that Payne played centre for the Blues before coming to Ulster...

.......... for one season as far as I recall.

They're definitely trying hard to sell this one. I for one wish he'd kept his trap shut so I didn't have to fume about it all bloody summer. Bad move for Ulster, good perhaps for Payne, Schmidt and Anscombe probably with little or no say in the matter.

Kiwis out.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HoneyBadger
Novice

Post by HoneyBadger »

Maybe it would be better if Payne went to Leinster...
Using Tapatalk
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

.......... for one season as far as I recall.

They're definitely trying hard to sell this one. I for one wish he'd kept his trap shut so I didn't have to fume about it all bloody summer. Bad move for Ulster, good perhaps for Payne, Schmidt and Anscombe probably with little or no say in the matter.

Kiwis out.
And a catastrophic move for Darren Cave. Whichever clown determined that he should have started on the bench on Friday past has a lot to answer for.

I am not usually particularly adamant on selections. But this one winds me up, and I see no argument whatsoever to drop Cave for Payne at 13, with Ricky Andrew, or another at fullback in a big game. Utter nonsense.

Cave came on on Friday night and was very effective. Some may argue that it's easier to make a statement running against tired legs in midfield, but there have been occasions in the past where Payne has moved to 13 later in the game and I've never seen him improve his impact on the game. He's an excellent fullback, and if they're trying so hard to shift him to 13, we must be getting one hell of a fullback to fill the 15 jersey. I look forward to the announcement.
Tevez
Initiate

Post by Tevez »

Mark was asked for the rationale behind Payne at 13, cave on the bench and Gilroy not in the squad for the Leinster game.

Answer was: They (UR management) wanted to try some things. Cave has been carrying "bit of a shoulder" over past couple of weeks, & his performance has suffered. Payne wants to play 13 and is good enough to play 13. Bench generally is replacement 9 & 10 plus one other (in this case Cave)....so no room for Gilroy (ie he wasn't injured). As has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, Mark was impressed by Cave at 12 when he did come on.
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Right, so that's Olding and Marshall fecked too. Cave at 12 and Payne at 13.

Taxi for Mark !!!
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Everyone seems to be locking Olding into 12. I'd say 10/12/15 possibly mainly 15 is a possibility. We need two solid performers in each shirt anyway. Could Schmidt be looking at Cave and Payne for Ireland?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Tevez wrote:Mark was asked for the rationale behind Payne at 13, cave on the bench and Gilroy not in the squad for the Leinster game.

Answer was: They (UR management) wanted to try some things. Cave has been carrying "bit of a shoulder" over past couple of weeks, & his performance has suffered. Payne wants to play 13 and is good enough to play 13. Bench generally is replacement 9 & 10 plus one other (in this case Cave)....so no room for Gilroy (ie he wasn't injured). As has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, Mark was impressed by Cave at 12 when he did come on.
The implication was that Cave was tired and needed a rest/kick up the asre. Rotation seems a genuine aim of MA. I don't think we'd have seen that level of rotation for a key game like Friday's, since the days of Solly (if even then).

Not saying he was right, but you have to admire the nuts.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Tevez wrote:Mark was asked for the rationale behind Payne at 13, cave on the bench and Gilroy not in the squad for the Leinster game.

The implication was that Cave was tired and needed a rest/kick up the asre. Rotation seems a genuine aim of MA. I don't think we'd have seen that level of rotation for a key game like Friday's, since the days of Solly (if even then).

Funny that, I actually spoke to Mr Cave. Darren was not a happy bunny at being dropped, not rested, rotated or any other wishy washy terms.

He saw an Irish trial being played without him. You play every big game of the season and then come a chance to impress in front of those that matter for the Argentina tour some clown drops you for his mate - my words I hasten to add lest it be misunderstood, the bile is all mine.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Snipe Watson wrote:Everyone seems to be locking Olding into 12. I'd say 10/12/15 possibly mainly 15 is a possibility. We need two solid performers in each shirt anyway. Could Schmidt be looking at Cave and Payne for Ireland?
A 12/13/15 of Cave/ Payne/ Olding is the only half-sensible option they can consider if they're trying to shoehorn Payne into 13. If Cave is relegated to the bench just to accommodate Payne then Maaak will have pi$hed a fair few folk off, Cave included. Would be tough on Luke but Cave and Olding just too good to not be starting.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

If an Ulster born, Ulster academy product, who is the best in his position on the island is being ousted for an imported player from New Zealand there is something gravely wrong with UR. I don't believe it will happen.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

Funny that, I actually spoke to Mr Cave. Darren was not a happy bunny at being dropped, not rested, rotated or any other wishy washy terms.

He saw an Irish trial being played without him. You play every big game of the season and then come a chance to impress in front of those that matter for the Argentina tour some clown drops you for his mate - my words I hasten to add lest it be misunderstood, the bile is all mine.
Well as MA said, it was tough on Cave. The rotation terminology comment was mine - MA wasn't sugar coating that DC was dropped (tired and shoulder were the only additional factors). Did he use the word 'jaded'?

Like I said, you wouldn't expect that in such a key game unless the incumbent has had a shocker, and the implications were even harsher for DC not showcasing himself in the big event. Although I agree with MA, he did look understanably hungrier when he came on (albeit at 12).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk