Brogan's Irish Bar in Fulham

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Brogan's Irish Bar in Fulham

Post by fermain »

Got a message from Aaron of Brogan's irish bar as a possible venue for watching games in Fulham.
Name:
Aaron Woodman

Email:
manager@brogansfulham.co.uk

Subject:
Possible new venue

I have recently taken over Brogan's Irish Bar in Fulham. We are well
known in the area for our sports coverage and in particular sports
with an Irish interest. We are blessed with five screens and three Sky
boxes with the full package from both Sky & BT.
I was just wondering if any of your South West London fans were
interested in a possible new venue to watch not only the Ulster games
but all the Irish Rugby?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Aaron Woodman
GM Brogan's Irish Bar
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Brogan's Irish Bar in Fulham

Post by Russ »

Just SW London?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Maybe he meant its only convient for SW London residents?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Just SW London?

A no lowlife policy???????
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Sounds like a no Russ policy to me.
Duckjnr
Novice

Post by Duckjnr »

Thanks Fermain, maybe check it out next week! Will be hard to beat Philomenas
NS
thelowerthebetter
Novice

Post by thelowerthebetter »

Used to be a regular in Brogan's, it's a good pub with a decent pint. Unfortunately a little too far for me to go to watch a match, even though I am in SW
Get your first tackle in early, even if it's late! - Ray Gravell
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Duckjnr wrote:Thanks Fermain, maybe check it out next week! Will be hard to beat Philomenas
Yup, I always think it is great seeing the Ulster flags and signed Ulster shirt on the wall in Philomenas.
Doink the Clown
Novice

Post by Doink the Clown »

I lived in Fulham for a few years - Brogans is a good spot, lots of TVs decent pint and above average grub for a place of its type. The manager is a hardened Munster man and typically there wouldnt have been an Ulster fan there when the boys were on TV, yet it would be bunged for Leinster or Munster games >elvis
Don't Stop Believin'
thelowerthebetter
Novice

Duckjnr wrote:Thanks Fermain, maybe check it out next week! Will be hard to beat Philomenas
Philomena's, did that used to be O'Neill's? If so, I always used to avoid that place like the plague as it was a magnet for Stag Do's etc.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

thelowerthebetter wrote:
Philomena's, did that used to be O'Neill's? If so, I always used to avoid that place like the plague as it was a magnet for Stag Do's etc.
Yes, used to be O'Neills but it has the same people running it so I think they stopped being an O'Neills franchise.

The great thing about Philomenas is that you can guarantee they will show rugby and just about every other pub in central London wouldn't even know what you are talking about. I think the bar owners know they have found a nice little niche with rugby fans as we drink a lot and don't cause hassle. The guys who run the place are from NI and have put some Ulster Rugby flags and a signed Ulster shirt on the wall.

You do get an eclectic mix of people there. On Friday evenings there is the after-work crowd. On Saturdays you get shoppers taking a break. Freemasons Hall is across the road so you get these guys in suits carrying briefcases...

I can't say I've seen many stag dos as it is a bit small and cramped for a big group who want to stay together.

If I wasn't watching rugby, I probably wouldn't go for a drink there but I haven't come across anywhere better to watch rugby in central London.
thelowerthebetter
Novice

Maybe I will have to give it another go then, I may have been a little quick to judge. I used to watch the Ireland matches in Waxy's Little Sister or Waxy O'Connor's itself, always good craic and good Guinness.

More recently though (Saturday) I watched the Ireland game, followed by the Scotland game at The Windmill Tavern on The Cut near Waterloo; http://thewindmilllondon.co.uk/

The manager is Irish as well as some of the staff and the pints are very good. It's not a massive pub but the atmosphere is good and they have three decent sized TV's along with a projector screen so unless you are very unlucky enough to be standing by the Male toilet door, you are always going to see the match. Also, even though it was very busy on Saturday, the manager and staff kept the place very tidy and the drinks flowing, I never had to wait very long to get served.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Waxy's used to be the place to watch Ulster Celtic League games but I haven't been back for a long time.

The problem with Waxys was it didn't have Sky and it was too much hassle going to one pub for CL games and another pub for European games. Sky charges for bars are based upon rateable value of the premises and Waxys is huge so would have to pay Sky a fortune and it wasn't worth it for them. Also, there was always a last minute panic as Waxys tried to find the remote control to turn on the projector while Philomenas were more organised and had all the games on the Sky box timer.

There isn't much of a problem finding pubs in London showing rugby internationals, but it is more difficult to find ones showing European games and there is only a handful that will show Pro12 games.

There is an Irish pub near me in W London that shows Pro12 games but it would be a trek for anyone in the N, S or E so a central London venue is best for people coming from all over.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

BTW there is a very long running SUTFM in London thread if people want to discuss where to watch games.

http://uafc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=692&start=1560

It will be 10 years old later this year! Feck me, time flies...