Scottish Rugby

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Scottish Rugby

Post by colinh »

I just noted a wee thing Andy Irvine said today. He reckons that he wants to have a full time professional team playing in Aberdeen and in the Celtic League. My first reaction is that this can only be good for the Scots as you really need at least 4 teams from which to pick your national side as well as spreading the geographical catchment area of professional rugby in Scotland. Also another Professional team in the CL as well will be good for the CL.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Sounds like a good idea colin. Can only be good from a playing base point of view. But financially I wonder if they can afford it, they really need to be growing the support for their other teams if they're to secure their future.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

It would certainly be a good move for Scottish rugby - there was a good crowd at Pittodrie at the tail end of last season to see Scotland play the Baabaas.
But a couple of caveats - do they have the playing base to support a fourth side? ALthough things look slightly better this season (and it is only early doors so far) the 3 regions have hardly set the CL alight never mind ERC.
And that supporter base, as noted by Colin, is it enough to balance the books? Look how the 3 regions at present are struggling to get the turnstiles moving.

New national coach now between Hadden and Bates after Glasgow coach withdrew.

Townsend out for 6 weeks after injury sustained against the Scarlets.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

It looks like they have a lot of work ahead of them.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I wonder should the SRU designate Caledonia a development district (c.f. Connacht) and just throw them into the ERC CC. Fixtures could also be arranged against the likes of Ulster 'A', but I cannot see them competing in the CL just yet. The trouble is then how to attract some quality players. If centrally contracted players were assigned there, then they may suffer from lack of competitive games, also the Borders are still in incubation stage - I think it may be best to concentrate on getting them on a firm footing first.

You have to feel sorry for the people of Caledonia - and we thought we treated the Connacht people badly.