Club or Country?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Club or country?

Country
24%
Club
76%

Total votes: 33

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Club or Country?

Post by backawaygoonahead »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:it is a non-choice in my book.
indeed.
its like asking someone if they prefer holing a 20-foot putt, or eating ice-cream in the hot tub. >TB
Come on now WKW - 20 foot putts are 10 a penny - like shooting fish in a barrel. Ice cream in hot-tubs on the other hand - pure magic just as long as you don't let it drip and clog up the filter with creamy white substances. :wink:

On the other hand, a 60 foot double breaker on a sloping Nicklaus designed green? Then the choice gets harder :D

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:it is a non-choice in my book.
indeed.
its like asking someone if they prefer holing a 20-foot putt, or eating ice-cream in the hot tub. >TB
I'd go for the 20 foot putt
...... and miss!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

I guess the question here for most is which one do you prefer over the other, and not which one do you support as most people support their province and Ireland.

I think the issue has probably become a lot more clouded since the provinces' fixture list expanded. If you're watching Ulster at Ravenhill, or Leinster at the RDS etc on a regular basis you're far more likely to form an emotional attachment to them than a team you might see live once or twice a year, even if is your national side.

On the flag issue, the tricolour and Ulster flags are flown at all home games and I've seen them at away games I've attended too. I'd personally love it if no anthems were played at games, the interminable wait between the players emerging from the tunnel at Irish games and the match actually starting is starting to border on farce. Everyone is there to watch the rugby, not sing the anthem or see the president. :x
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: its like asking someone if they prefer holing a 20-foot putt, or eating ice-cream in the hot tub. >TB
I'd go for the 20 foot putt
...... and miss!
Not on saturday...the hole was like a bucket :D
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Snipe Watson wrote:Not on saturday...the hole was like a bucket :D

I had a 5 pointer on saturday. eat my shorts buttmunch!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:eat my shorts @#!*% !
Rather not if it's all the same.......... :puker:
Keep yer shorts I'm happy with 43 points
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Cormac wrote:On the flag issue, the tricolour and Ulster flags are flown at all home games and I've seen them at away games I've attended too. I'd personally love it if no anthems were played at games, the interminable wait between the players emerging from the tunnel at Irish games and the match actually starting is starting to border on farce. Everyone is there to watch the rugby, not sing the anthem or see the president. :x
Don't start on the flags. I think it's a disgrace, the Tri Colour is flown so the NI flag should be flown alongside. If they want to fly the Ulster Provincial flag then the Munster, Leinster and Connacht flags should be flown rather than the Tricolour. Why do Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan get 2 flags??? Also the farce of making sure the Union Flag wasn't flown at Ravenhill when Ireland played Italy (2007???). It's flown at every Ulster fixture, they should have respected the territory the game was played in.

is there a fear of a Southern Media backlash about these issues or is it a sectarian under-current to the IRFU? Either way it does alienate some in the North
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Jackie Brown wrote: Also the farce of making sure the Union Flag wasn't flown at Ravenhill when Ireland played Italy (2007???). It's flown at every Ulster fixture, they should have respected the territory the game was played in.
If you want the Union flag at Ravenhill games based on the territory the game is played in then you have to accept the Tricolour at LR games.

Your point about Cavan Monaghan and Donegal getting 2 flags at LR also opens up the fact that Cavan Monaghan and Donegal get no flag at Ravers. I think ultimately most rugby fans would be happy with a 4-provinces flag at LR and an Ulster flag at Ravers. Unfortunately there are plenty of people both inside rugby and out who are so bound up in the symbolism of flags and anthems that it will take more balls that the IRFU and the Ulster branch have to ever sort it out along what would appear to be sensible lines.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Jackie Brown wrote:Either way it does alienate some in the North
it alienates tubes who think too much about it, to the extent that it becomes an issue for them.
accept that it is what it is, and enjoy any days out in dublin that you get as a good chance to get lashed. beyond that, it does not matter.

meself, i rather enjoy singing anthems at internationals - both sides. which has prompted me to learn God Defend New Zealand including the Maori part. i already knew the aussies and scots. and thoroughly enjoyed singing God Save the Queen at Croke, before launching into the Soldier Song immediately after. a few folk around me even laughed, and one of those was one of those red-coated-irish-supporters (i.e. a canadian fan who watched ireland beat them at thomond...)

the SA and welsh anthems have thus far proved a step too far, in terms of me bothering to learn them. can mumble pieces of them which so far has gotten me by, but if a trip to cardiff this year materialises, i'll be sure to learn that one.

fail to see why a stupid flegs and anthems debate has to rear its head every few months. its absolutely, utterly ludicrous, and matters not one jot.

but i suppose if you've got nothing better to worry your precious little head with, then it does become vitally crucially monumentally important...
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

The flag issue should be simple.

We should fly the Ulster flag at Ravenhill.

If the Tricolor is flown at an Ireland game so should the Northern Ireland flag regardless of home venue.
If the Ulster flag is flown at at an Ireland game then it should be the flag of the other three provicnes as well - no Tricolor.

No need for Union Jack/Flag ever

It should be obvious but it would mean people meeting each other halfway and we can't have that can we :roll:
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Snipe Watson wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:eat my shorts @#!*% !
Rather not if it's all the same.......... :puker:
Keep yer shorts I'm happy with 43 points
That takes me back, I had 43 points once - 41 gross plus 2 free ones for a handicap. Mind you 5 under, only level after 9, wasn't that impressive - it was only Dungannon - no wonder Darren played off plus 10 or whatever it was, +4 ?

Ah - the good old days! Now most times I play I feel like I'm using somebodyelse's arms and can barely play to 5. :oops:

Anyway, I'm getting lost in nostalgia which isn't as good as it used to be.

What pillock brought up the dreaded FLEGS issue again :scratch: :x :x :x :x

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I struggle to play to 5 meself.
Much prefer the extra 10 shots they give me now in me old age.

....Yes flegs
Or as a real mindbender no flegs at all.
Nationality is the issue, flegs and anthems are the ultimate symbols of nationality. They generate hostility off the pitch and hold up the hostilities on the pitch; so in the intertests of peace and goodwill to all (except the >TB obviously)dump the lot.
The IRFU has a perfectly good flag to fly at all grounds for all matches.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

NATIONALISM - I'm with Dan Fried on this one:
Nationalism ... is like cheap alcohol. First it makes you drunk, then it makes you blind, then it kills you.
Mind you, perhaps it was everyone's favourite genius, Albert Einstein, who put it best: "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

Of course all that wisdom goes out the window when we (Ireland, apologies to all who hate to be considered Irish :wink: ) play them (England, the hateful bunch of bast....) :D

WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Still, there's nothing quite like being out driving, turning a corner and all of a sudden having your breath taken away by the magnificent sight of a collection of Northern Ireland, Union Jack and any other red/white/blue/purple/orange flags waving magnificently in the stiff August breeze.

All talk of sensibility and not taking issue is boll***s. We have every right to have our flag and our anthem represented under the IRFU banner. Either that or do away with the notion of Irish Rugby and instead play 2 teams - ROI and NI.

I for one will personally not be purchasing* any tickets for Lansdowne for a very long time. This I assure you has nothing to do with the new pricing structure revealed earlier this week, and instead has everything to do with my principled nature.

*any 'contributions in the form of tickets' however will be well received; would be rude not to and causing offence, either in person or to the goons who spout crap on this forum, is not something I ever intentionally do.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:Still, there's nothing quite like being out driving, turning a corner and all of a sudden having your breath taken away by the magnificent sight of a collection of Northern Ireland, Union Jack and any other red/white/blue/purple/orange flags waving magnificently in the stiff August breeze.

All talk of sensibility and not taking issue is boll***s. We have every right to have our flag and our anthem represented under the IRFU banner. Either that or do away with the notion of Irish Rugby and instead play 2 teams - ROI and NI.

I for one will personally not be purchasing* any tickets for Lansdowne for a very long time. This I assure you has nothing to do with the new pricing structure revealed earlier this week, and instead has everything to do with my principled nature.

*any 'contributions in the form of tickets' however will be well received; would be rude not to and causing offence, either in person or to the goons who spout crap on this forum, is not something I ever intentionally do.
Thats a crock of top grade bullshite me old mucker. I particularly love the care the lovers of the FLEG give it come October when they are to be seen waving like so many pieces of REAG in the breeze. Tatter pieces of cloth you wouldn't wipe your Brennan on!

Great idea about the ROI & NI teams mind you..............FFS we can't even cut it in the Magners!