Club or Country?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Club or country?

Country
24%
Club
76%

Total votes: 33

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Club or Country?

Post by fermain »

Asked before but never polled.
I've been watchin' Ireland this last couple of weeks, and despite knowing that we have been hit by injuries, I've not been that impressed... well apart from the ulster lads.
And then there's the summer signings news... and I@m sooo optimistic about the coming season, I can't wait :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
It entirely makes up for the rubbish summer tour.

So, for me it's Ulster!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Re: Club or Country?

Post by moondance »

Fermain,

You might need to clarify who/what you mean by country and also club. I know of a fair number who would regard Ulster as "country" when it comes to rugby, having no interest in the Ireland team at all, "club" therefore would mean Malone, Quins, City Of Derry, CI or whatever.

As for me, whenever Ireland lose I am annoyed but whenever Ulster lose, I feel it a lot more deeply.

Ireland or Ulster? :red:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

to be absolutely honest I have to agree with Mooner. I've been to quite a few Ireland games and have tried to 'fit in' but to be honest I just don't feel Irish. The only reason I;m there is to support the Ulster lads. I know that's a bit sad but that's the honest truth. I'm not sure if it's a flag/anthem thing - but it kinda feels that you're not really part of the party - kind of a hanger on.
It would be interesting if many other fans felt that way.

So yes, it's Ulster by a country mile. In fact, I'm so bad, that I almost prefer when the Ulster don't turn out for Ireland - means they stay injury free!!!

I guess I'm a product of a troubled land lol.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Againstthehead: normally I wouldn't comment but since you ask - I know you will have many fellow travellers though I find that a all bit sad personally.

I have absolutely no issue about being an Irish rugby fan and have been to well over 100 internationals since 1969 - both home and away - 1st game at Lansdowne Road, Ireland beat France 14-9, although nothing since comes close to 14th March 1970 when we beat the greatest ever Welsh team 14-0 in Ken Goodall's last game before a disasterous move to "5 tackles & a kick."

In latter years mind you I have found tickets harder to come by and also feel the atmosphere at most grounds other than Cardiff is not what it used to be - too much corpo, too many well dressed ladies (not PC I know but true), too many grounds with shallow sloped seating away from the sides so most fans need to remember their opera glasses to see & Croker was crap from my experience - like an 80000 seat coffin most of the time - but thanks to the GAA for the use of it.

Heineken cup usually produces a much better atmosphere to internationals - especially the Cardiff finals & you get a better class of person at them - proper rugby fans by and large.

When watching Ireland or Ulster I am equally engrossed, on edge and sick with the fear of losing. That said I feel Ulster is my first priority, much in the way that Munster banner reads "Irish by birth, Munster by the grace of our imaginary friend" or something similar, with us its more "Our wee Country - Norn Iron"

I also support all Irish teams against foreign oppostion with Munster a very strong second in my affections and Leinster a very firm 4th.

My vote is for Club, 100% (or if you are a football fan 110% or whatever their current maximum stands at.) :red:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

interesting to read your opinions in the stadia - agree 100% (and thanks for confirming my saddness lol :) )
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

I enjoy landsdown, Croke and internationals and do have real affection for the team as an irishman, but club first for me. I get elated and depressed with Irish wins and losses, but these emotions are much stronger in the Ulster context. I am Irish and proud to be so, culturally and politically if i dare to say it on these boards! But i am an Ulsterman and will be til i die!
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

nonplussed wrote:I enjoy landsdown, Croke and internationals and do have real affection for the team as an irishman, but club first for me. I get elated and depressed with Irish wins and losses, but these emotions are much stronger in the Ulster context. I am Irish and proud to be so, culturally and politically if i dare to say it on these boards! But i am an Ulsterman and will be til i die!
Nothing wrong with that pal - I could be said to be from a "British" background but my passport is Irish & so is my nationality, if asked. I feel desperately sorry for people searching for an identity - Norn Ironish, British (a group term for a few countries (none of which we live in) & not a nationality :duck: :duck: :duck: - ask any Englishman Scotsman or Welshman) United Kingdomish (now that rolls of the tongue nicely :D ) Ulsterish!!?? (remember there are 9 counties)

Being born on the island of Ireland makes you Irish, by accident of birth at least, albeit not by inclination for many hereabouts - FACT :duck: :red: :red: :red:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

now look what you've started fermain!!!
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

for me personally I'd pick Ulster over Ireland, however I also support Ireland whenever and who ever is playing. :red: :red:
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

It'd be Ulster over Ireland for me too. I think a large part of it is the relative accessability of the two. I've been going to Ravenhill regularly since i was a kid, and when you're actually there in the crowd you feel like you're part of it. Going to international matches has always been a bit of a treat for me due to the relative cost, and i've never been able to get my hands on tickets for any of the 'big' games. As much as I want Ireland to win, I don't feel quite as involved watching them on TV as I do when I'm watching Ulster from the terraces, struggling to keep the rain out of my guiness.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Ulster - each and every time. Simples.
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Ulster without a doubt.

Being surrounded by Munster shirts at Ireland matches just adds to confirms my loyalties :(
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ulster :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

ulster all the way. :blueafro:
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Club would be Dungannon,

Province would be Ulster,