where did you play?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: where did you play?

Post by pwrmoore »

TheWonDon wrote:Played as a number 8 up until I was about 19, then retired due to overwhelming commitments elsewhere (you can guess what at that age). Though in my time I feel I was superb, two tries in my career and would've been 3 only for the brilliant positioning of a line judge who had no right to be where he was.

Still only 25 and almost went back this year to the local club in my adopted home of Belfast, didn't though because I'm a girl.
Do go back - you'll regret it laterif you don't.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

i played a lot with myself when in my early teens.
i'd play wherever and whenever i could - often at least 5 times a day.

was usually in the bedroom but the question of where could be better put as where did i not
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:i played a lot with myself when in my early teens.
i'd play wherever and whenever i could - often at least 5 times a day.

was usually in the bedroom but the question of where could be better put as where did i not
5 times a day - amateur, I could have knocked off 5 in a morning in my early teens. :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

Right wing, although due to lack of numbers I was seen in the back of a 5 (wo)man scrum. Last match I played outside centre, boy did that kill after a few years of no matches at all!!
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Only played up until I left school. Started as a flanker, then played winger for a couple of seasons, then back to the flank before one season as a hooker ( great fun ). As a player I always felt that I lacked any natural ability or skill but tried to make up for it with effort.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

Having started playing at the age of 10 at scrum half, I was lucky enough to "grow up" and play my senior rugby at full back.
Over the years I've broken a fair few bones and when at 35 I had a triple break of the leg, wifey and work decided to call time on my playing days :(
Last year, at 47, I was lucky enough to play my last match running out with my son on his 18th birthday against a visiting touring side.
We had a convincing win with him running in a few try's and doing a good job looking after his dad :)
He is a much better player now than I ever was and is currently playing for the club at senior level, U20's, county U20's and regional U20's in the back row at his preferred no.7.
Watching him play has help me get over the disappointment of no longer playing.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Played hockey.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

played hooker at school - even though I was pretty blind and could'nt see past 2 in the lineout - hence, the old throw ins were a bit of a lottery... After school, I toyed a bit at 6 but was getting pummelled so gave up playing for being too soft.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

you guys may find this hard to believe, but at some point or other i've played every position on the pitch except 2nd row! A few (#10, centre, wing) were one-off cameos due to lack of players but i've been there.

When i retook up rugby in earnest 13 years ago in cloggyland, i started as a fullback but moved swiftly to scrum half. From there to flank, to hooker and now i'm a tight-head prop. Albeit a very small one!
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Looking back on my illustrious (ehem) rugby career...here goes...
Mini Rugby.....Number 8
School.....Fullback and then right wing
School 7s.....prop (still can't work that one out!!)
Uni.....Right wing
Club....Outside Centre/Wing...did play one game at out-half (so must have been really Cr*p).

Due to dodgy hip I can no-longer play and miss it terribly.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

At school on the wing and if do say so myself a pretty good standard(not in NI).
Went to University and took one too many knocks.
Small guy thing Shane Williams with the speed but without the skill.

At the end of my University time was coverted to hooker and played there at a more social level until my early 30's
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Worth a bump,
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
TheWonDon
Initiate

Post by TheWonDon »

I recently went back after 7 or 8 years not playing, and it's the best thing I've ever done. Still working on fitness, a lot, but every minute of it is worthwhile. Had 10 minutes in my first game back and I felt like a child, ran around and threw myself at anything that moved.

I was a no8 but the introduction of a gut to my ranks has seen the coach deciding I'm more 2nd row material now. It's certainly a learning curve but smashing fun, and would be even better if I could remember all the lineout calls.

If anyones toying with the idea of going back I implore you to do so, believe me it's worth it!
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

played as a loosehead when I was younger, bit of thp also. tried to reinvent myself as an 8 at a later stage.

tried to go back recently after a few serious injuries collected over the years and got emptied (completely fairly) during a training match. sadly the injuries took their toll more than I had appreciated. feel for Flannery at the moment, sometimes it's the collection of little knocks that wreck your head more than the big ones.

to anyone wanting to play and not - get out and go for it, you'll be a long time retired.
Last edited by Loki on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Played second row most of my time,did a season as a loosehead as at 6 foot 3 they thought I was too small as a lock.Managed a couple of first team games when we did the easter tours to South Wales in the late '70's,good line out player,but lacked serious grunt due to lack of weight.15 stone when I was fit and nearly 20 now I'm not.Played a bit of veterans up to my mid 30's then a dodgy knee did for me.