Knock-on rule?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Knock-on rule?

Post by Setanta »

The rules have changed a lot since I played(notably in my last serious game after not play<ing for a few years I was penalised for a brilliant hook with my head!! >jawdrop )my question to you referees out there is what did you think of the 'try' awarded to Harlequins in extra time against London Irish?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Knock-on rule?

Post by kingofthehill »

According to Tony McWhirter when talking about TC's try he said something along the lines of, if there wasn't intent then it's not a forward pass. :lol:
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

>ECNF KOTH my question was on a different game!?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:According to Tony McWhirter when talking about TC's try he said something along the lines of, if there wasn't intent then it's not a forward pass. :lol:
A blind referee also helps.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Setanta wrote:>ECNF KOTH my question was on a different game!?
I know that but couldn't help but include Tony's comment regarding the laws somewhere.

Didn't see the LI game but heard it was a shocking decision.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Good for Tony. What he lacks in personality he makes up for in imagination :lol:
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Any links to footage of the incident?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

It is towards the end of this clip, about 5 mins:

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/Highligh ... hId/173102

Backwards off hands, forwards off knee, grounded with stomach. Looks like a try to me!

The only point of contention is if the ball initially went forwards off the Quins' player's hands and I don't think it did. If the ball initially went back, then going forward off a knee and grounded by a stomach are ok and its a try.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

mikerob wrote:It is towards the end of this clip, about 5 mins:

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/Highligh ... hId/173102

Backwards off hands, forwards off knee, grounded with stomach. Looks like a try to me!

The only point of contention is if the ball initially went forwards off the Quins' player's hands and I don't think it did. If the ball initially went back, then going forward off a knee and grounded by a stomach are ok and its a try.
Cheers Mike.

Agreed, seems legitimate to me. Lucky boy, it could have gone anywhere.

I think there might be a broader point though, in that I think there would, in the past, have been a tendency to penalise that "ball through the hands" as a knock-on, whereas these days the law being more accurately applied as only a knock-on if the ball goes forwards off the hand(s).
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

While the ball going forward from the knee is ok, it isn't a kick.

So if a player throws the ball forward and kicks it with his foot, that is ok.

But if a player throws the ball forward and knees it with his knee, that is a knock-on.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Ulster v Australia at Ravenhill...I seen Campese on the run drop the ball onto his knee to chip it over the defender then run round him to collect before it hit the ground.
Anyway...kneeing it with your knee...whatever next. :D
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Lanzaman
Initiate

Post by Lanzaman »

And you can't take a quick restart by bouncing it off your knee, correct?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Lanzaman wrote:And you can't take a quick restart by bouncing it off your knee, correct?
It needs to be a kick where "a kick is made by hitting the ball with any part of the leg or foot, except the heel,
from the toe to the knee but not including the knee;"
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

browner wrote:Ulster v Australia at Ravenhill...I seen Campese on the run drop the ball onto his knee to chip it over the defender then run round him to collect before it hit the ground.
Anyway...kneeing it with your knee...whatever next. :D

Law changed only relatively recently with regard to 'kicking' with the knee. Back then it was legit.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

kingofthehill wrote:According to Tony McWhirter when talking about TC's try he said something along the lines of, if there wasn't intent then it's not a forward pass. :lol:
of course their was no intent RP tackled to the deck threw ball backwards came off shoulder,big tom picks up try.......................