Big Rory V Keith Wood

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

TheElephantMan
Steward

Big Rory V Keith Wood

Post by TheElephantMan »

Take off the rose tinted glasses for a minute boys, lets talk about these two great hookers......Discuss,compare..............
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Big Rory V Keith Wood

Post by Russ »

Rory
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

I don't think Keith has the swing to win a major so it's Rory for me.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Flannery is yer man boys.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Hard to bate Flah for kicking Frogs up in the air. >clapping

That apart, I'd genuinely go for Rory, admittedly, probably on bias for there wasn't a lot between them. I heard, though can't remember the source, that props prefer Rory for his scrummaging strength and whilst Flah may have been more on the Wood style in the loose, he was a tough nut in close combat as well. I think overall Rory has added so much more to his game as an allrounder since those days, so hence I tip my hat to him.

I might do Woodie a disservice but he was a bit if a freak, I'm not sure his nuts & bolts hooker job was up to scratch but he was a phenomenon around the pitch & had a great heart for the battle. I always recall his try in the delayed 6Ns game in 2001 where he threw to a short lineout and barreled through the thin white line over the top of Micky Skinner it I remember correctly. He refused to be stopped. That was the year Gatland blew the Grand Slam (Guy Easterby).

I hated that Wood played in England, I'm all for the policy England have & the SH had until very recently play at home to play for your country, sadly we are too small to hold players to it. Had we any real alternative I would have sacrificed Sexton for going to France. :duck: >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Woody was a phenomenal athlete back then. Probably ahead of his time. Rory would be a complete modern hooker if his lineout work was more reliable. Only Bismarck du Plessis would be a finer exponent. Rory is a special player and like Ruan, we will only realise how special when he's retired.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BuckRogers wrote:Flannery is yer man boys.
Lol
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Surely based on lions caps, he gotta go with Woody? > Then Shane Byrne. :cheers:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

BuckRogers wrote:Flannery is yer man boys.
just add Keith to this - good though he was. >EW
Attachments
0708Italy2(H).jpg
0708Italy2(H).jpg (125.71 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I threw Fla in there for a reaction. His darts have probably been the best of any irish hooker bar Byrne in the pro era so he deserves a mention. Woody was to a probably the modern hooker before they increasingly became auxiliary back rowers.

For me however Best has made a huge contribution. His work rate is second to very few and he is genuinely hard as nails. If his darts were as consistent as Flannery he'd be hands down the best hooker in the NH since professionalism IMHO.

As for his contribution to Ulster, Snipe is spot on, we (well some) will only realise his true value when he is gone.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Flannery was overrated
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Russ wrote:Flannery was overrated
You must give him credit,he was good in his day.