Not held in tackle

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Not held in tackle

Post by BR »

Taking this away from the cluttered RWC thread.

So if you are tackled, you are held, by definition. Refs are ignoring that and while at the same time demanding quicker and quicker release by the tackler, are allowing the tackled player to get up again with the ball.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Not held in tackle

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:Taking this away from the cluttered RWC thread.

So if you are tackled, you are held, by definition. Refs are ignoring that and while at the same time demanding quicker and quicker release by the tackler, are allowing the tackled player to get up again with the ball.
I agree with you, but there's a catch 22 here. We want the game refereed according to the laws, but at the same time, we want fewer stoppages. If refs allow the game to flow ignoring minor infractions, they are going to be accused of being selective and biased in their enforcement of the laws. This also begs the question, are there too many laws?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

And there children we must leave it for this week because brother Snipe is taking us down a dangerous road to madness. Too many Laws? Well you could take some away by playing rugby league, no line outs and farcical scrubs. How would we like that?

I do feel your pain BR, you've dismissed it previously, but I cannot square the circle of both tackler and tacklee being compelled by the Laws to instantly release that which they are holding. It suggests that if both requirements are not met instantaneously, the laggard should in law be penalised. It puts the ref in a hell of a dilemma, damned either way.

That refs largely ignore one or both offences is no surprise ...... until of course they penalise one or other and are then deemed inconsistent and or biased.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:And there children we must leave it for this week because brother Snipe is taking us down a dangerous road to madness. Too many Laws? Well you could take some away by playing rugby league, no line outs and farcical scrubs. How would we like that?

I do feel your pain BR, you've dismissed it previously, but I cannot square the circle of both tackler and tacklee being compelled by the Laws to instantly release that which they are holding. It suggests that if both requirements are not met instantaneously, the laggard should in law be penalised. It puts the ref in a hell of a dilemma, damned either way.

That refs largely ignore one or both offences is no surprise ...... until of course they penalise one or other and are then deemed inconsistent and or biased.
I'd say we are more than used to refs ignoring the requirements on a tackled player to release the ball. (Let alone roll away - anyone remember the last time they saw that enforced?). The more recent change is the speed at which they insist that a tackler releases, and I think most can accept that as a means of speeding up play from the tackle/ruck. However, the recent trend to ignore the tackle completely and allow the ball carrier to get up again, ball in hand is a new departure.

This is not ignoring minor infringements or simply a timing issue. The fundamental laws if the game say when you've been tackled, you cannot get up with the ball. I counted at least 8 plays yesterday that would have certainly been penalised 4 years ago.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:And there children we must leave it for this week because brother Snipe is taking us down a dangerous road to madness. Too many Laws? Well you could take some away by playing rugby league, no line outs and farcical scrubs. How would we like that?

Hard to beat going for extreme examples to undermine a point.
:scratch: :scratch: My devil's advocate suggestion is the 'road to madness'. Then in the same post you cite two laws that are rather incongruous.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Hard to beat going for extreme examples to undermine a point.
:scratch: :scratch: My devil's advocate suggestion is the 'road to madness'. Then in the same post you cite two laws that are rather incongruous.
Frankly I do not understand you, they are the two main & regular components of any tackle situation, they are the point exactly and they have never in my eyes been mutually compatible. They are absolutely not extreme examples, happening as they do with almost every completed tackle and dozens of times in every game.

Are you insane?

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :duh: :duh: :duh: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: , enough smileys for ya.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I find that looking at this video explaining the basics of rugby always helps my understanding of the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPIGXXHTBM
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh