Payne- Defensive Genius- Fact or Fiction?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Payne- Defensive Genius- Fact or Fiction?

Post by Cockatrice »

Is Payne the tactical genius in the Irish defensive system as being portrayed once again ?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Payne- Defensive Genius- Fact or Fiction?

Post by Rooster »

Cockatrice wrote:Is Payne the tactical genius in the Irish defensive system as being portrayed once again ?
Well he is certainly better than Shinnerboots, other than that only someone else in the team would know, never noticed him giving orders the way Cave does with Ulster though but perhaps Schmitty has some secret code he uses.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Is Payne the tactical genius in the Irish defensive system as being portrayed once again ?
Who is saying that he is Cockers?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Ireland's Joe Schmidt says Jared Payne's defensive ability led to his recall at centre for Saturday's Six Nations game against Italy in Dublin.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well then, Rory to take overall blame, if he is brilliant and we still lose, there is Jihad, all his fault.

Maybe not. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Ireland's Joe Schmidt says Jared Payne's defensive ability led to his recall at centre for Saturday's Six Nations game against Italy in Dublin.
Yes, he's defensively strong, there's no question about that, but that's not the question Cockers is asking. "The tactical genius in the Irish defensive system as being portrayed once again?" And as we all know, Cockers always words his posts very carefully >EW !!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

What we lack with Jared Payne not in the midfield has been particularly evident for us.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

We're looking for him to control our defence again in the frontline.

So Payne controls the Irish defence?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Why doesn't he control the Ulster defence?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:What we lack with Jared Payne not in the midfield has been particularly evident for us.
What we lack in midfield would not be cured by putting Jared into the team.
Our midfield problems are a symptom of a pack that is barely holding its own in the tight and is lightweight as well as way too slow off the mark in both attack and defence.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:What we lack with Jared Payne not in the midfield has been particularly evident for us.
Our midfield problems are a symptom of a pack that is barely holding its own in the tight and is lightweight as well as way too slow off the mark in both attack and defence.
Snipe.. sorry not me that is what How's says of him.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
:scratch: :scratch: That may make all kinds of sense in your head, but it doesn't on my screen.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
:scratch: :scratch: That may make all kinds of sense in your head, but it doesn't on my screen.
thats what big fingers on a small phone get you… those are the words used by Joe Schmidt as are 'we're looking for him to control our defence again in the frontline' suggesting to my anyways that he is the defensive linch-pin. I have never seen it but if Joe says it then it must be true. I also watched a TV clip in which Connor Murray seemingly repeats the same PR ramble that Payne is the man that controls the defensive show on the pitch…
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

The PR team is really struggling now
People are turning on Joe

I posed the question as to if the Jihad is so integral to Ireland's defensive system at 13 then why is the Jihad not played at 13 by Ulster who play the same system in big games
UlsterAddict
Novice

Post by UlsterAddict »

Russ wrote:The PR team is really struggling now
People are turning on Joe

I posed the question as to if the Jihad is so integral to Ireland's defensive system at 13 then why is the Jihad not played at 13 by Ulster who play the same system in big games
And Joe's answer might be that that might be why we don't win too many big games