Ulster Rugby Online

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Rugby Online

Post by ColinM »

colind wrote:Strange thing Colin but Mike Reid must have been reading your thoughts :wink:

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/10026.php

Colin
Thanks for the link, interesting article although clearly aimed at the heartstrings and pursestrings of the punter.

The threat of the drop in squad funding over the first three years is a bit of a low blow though, surely the IRFU would increase the loan term for an extra year or two if there wasnt as big an uptake in business demand in the recession.

It would also sound unlikely that phase 2 will be considered until phase 1 is paid for ie 3-4 yrs time, (unless there is enough money dished out of the big house, and they'll probably still be arguing about it in 3-4 yrs)
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

BR wrote:If you got moderated on the official site, there was a sense that your 'right' to freedom of speech had been impinged by a 'public' body; and you would tend to be a bit annoyed about it. We all feel we are a part of Ulster Rugby (and that is a good thing)

If you get moderated here (IIRC I have only once) - while you may disagree, you accept the refs decision, turn and walk 10. The people here don't have to answer to their public for their decisions (if they don't want to) - we are merely visitors to their realm.

It's like if someone were to ask you to keep your voice down in a public square; you may feel a bit aggrieved. If you were sitting in a friends living room and they asked you to keep it down, you would respect your hosts wishes.

Provided you have someone supplying such a great service, then unofficial is a much better way of doing message boards, IMHO.
excellently put.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

And it would be most surprising if someone at UR is not reading this Message Board on a regular basis

Thus if someone makes a valid suggestion or point( althought the source may not be identified) some action may be taken on the matter

provided of course that it will not comprmise the interests of Ulster Rugby in the broadest sense of word

eg suggestions for longer Bar openning will I fear fall only to the ears of the deaf

ie it is in the interests of Ulster Rugby that not everyone leaves at the same time but it is also in the interests of Ulster Rugby that the ground is empty about an hour after the game
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

it is also in the interests of Ulster Rugby that the ground is empty about an hour after the game
Would you be of the opinion that this will apply also to the friendly, networking enabling, flexible, hospitality facility in 'The New Stand Club' bar and restuarant where one can meet players and management after the game boggie?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:
The threat of the drop in squad funding over the first three years is a bit of a low blow though, surely the IRFU would increase the loan term for an extra year or two if there wasnt as big an uptake in business demand in the recession.
Would like to think the IRFU loan is at a very low rate as money in the bank is worth practically feck all, or totally feck all if it was Anglo shares they had it in, also interest rate in Mexico is higher than here at present and who knows what way the €/£ exchange rate will go over the next few years, unless there are a lot of safeguards in place there could be a huge hole left somewhere.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

hans wrote:Do you feel as a supporter you recieve enough information on the business deelopment and new stadium side? Is this important to supporters?
no and yes respectively. but to put it in context, if we're talking about wishlists, I'd like to be emailed details of every decision going on in the club!!! realistically while every supporter would like to know as much as possible about everything that's going on, the extent to which this is possible is limited by commercial sensitivity, resources (eg the opportunity cost of the CEO spending time writing material for the fans) and integrity (eg blabbing about potential signings or friction in the camp).

At the end of the day UR is a smallish private company, and most individual fans have a financial stake only to the extent they buy tickets/shirts etc - so there's no imperative for the club to share information with fans. That being said I think it's a useful thing to do, insofar as it engenders goodwill among the fans, and builds more of a feeling of belonging. So there's a balance to be struck - right now I would say that the official website falls short of properly engaging fans, and I tend to come here to find stuff out, and just use the official site to buy tickets etc.

I think that if, for example, every Monday morning the CEO would churn out something running over what was occupying his time and attention in the week past, and the week ahead, it would be interesting, and probably something that over time people would tune into. another idea would be to ape the Irish Rugby TV thing, which posts interviews with a selection of players and staff in the run-up to games, Jim Sherwin isn't the most incisive interviewer, but they're still quite interesting.

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Interviews with players on the UR site have become a turn-off rather than a turn-on. To present them in TV or Audio format would not interest me in the slightest.

The interview content became really ridiculous in the last few days with:
Boss - 10th March
Botha - 11th March
Young - 12th March

Indeed, player interviews in the press depress me also. Do I want to read Rory's view on DK as a man manager? I think not. Do I want to read BOD's welcome to PW followed up just a few short weeks later by his welcome back to D'Arcy? Again I think not.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

darkside lightside wrote: I think that if, for example, every Monday morning the CEO would churn out something running over what was occupying his time and attention in the week past, and the week ahead, it would be interesting, and probably something that over time people would tune into.
You think so? I know there are one or two anoraks here who would read it with interest for a week or two, but I think even we would get bored with it after a while ;) . As for the general rugby population ... I can't see there being that much interest unless there is something significant to report.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

well, whats the reason this site is successful?
I think:
1) the forum, where we can all have a good gas/whinge about UR and each other etc.
2) the videos of the games both ulster and ireland
3) the rest of the articles eg match reports, the archipelago, links to colin's photos.
we do try and keep things moving although sometimes things can be slow to get updated mainly because we all have' real' jobs and this is very much a hobby. Also the information on the main site is mostly replicated from other sources and ordered if you like.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

BR wrote:
darkside lightside wrote: I think that if, for example, every Monday morning the CEO would churn out something running over what was occupying his time and attention in the week past, and the week ahead, it would be interesting, and probably something that over time people would tune into.
You think so? I know there are one or two anoraks here who would read it with interest for a week or two, but I think even we would get bored with it after a while ;) . As for the general rugby population ... I can't see there being that much interest unless there is something significant to report.
i accept that, but really who reads any of these websites? we're pretty much all anoraks aren't we? :D (I'm guilty anyway!)

ulster-t-i-d
Novice

Post by ulster-t-i-d »

On ur.com you get the bog standard info you expect...match reports, squad announcements, ticket details etc. Its there for everyone to find - and i think that's the importance of the official site. The casual supporter will look to ur.com and be able to find out whats happening - ko time next week, when tickets go onsale...

Here, while there is other content the primary focus falls to the message board where we can all merrily debate and absorb one and others views and opinions, most the time in peace.
Although many people do use this website, and lots of people are aware of it i doubt it would be the first port of call for a good proportion of ulster fans looking for the latest team info.

ur.com could have more interactivity + engaging content to encourage people to visit the site. The current player interviews and invitations for post match reactions etc seem to be increasing in volume so im assuming that based on number of hits there must be some interest in them.

As to our CEO giving a weekly update as to his dealings - i dont think something as formal is required but i would like to see fairly regular updates from MR to let me personally (as a stakeholder in UR) see how the organisation is investing its money, moving forward, planning for the future, providing new facilities for its supporters.
Granted this will be somewhat restricted by commercial sensitivities, but openness where possible increases the sense of ownership that supporters feel in their club.
Me on Twitter
abba
Novice

Post by abba »

Hey,

So ignoring the pointless questions posted by non-constructive people...

I find this site useful cause it allows me to monitor wats goin on at Ravenhill and beyond without having to listen to the spin of the Ulster Branch. I can arrange to meet up with mates and it also allows me to hear fans opinions on issues (however biased they may be) and allows the opportunity to meet fellow people passionate about rugby...C'mon Ulster!

It's great for keeping tabs on rugby at all levels, from provinical, international right the way down to School rugby which i dont have time to attend with my busy post-acedemia life!

All the best with your project and C'mon Ulster!!!!
hans
Novice

Post by hans »

ur.com could have more interactivity + engaging content to encourage people to visit the site. The current player interviews and invitations for post match reactions etc seem to be increasing in volume so im assuming that based on number of hits there must be some interest in them.
What sort of interactivity should UR be using?