K. C. on his way

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Surely Matt Sexton retired did he not CT :? Was the Llanelli game not his last professional game, or so he told me on the pitch in Llanelli, he then was picked for Baa Baa's a few weeks later and that was it or did he change his mind :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

The point Ryan C made last night was tha Matt Sexton was such a cohesive and motivational force that if he (Ryan) were in charge he would have found a way to retain Matt in a back-room role. He attributed the lack of edge in the pack last year directly to Matt's departure.

Ryan rated his man-management skills alone to enough to make it worth holding onto the guy. Instead UR let him go and within months he was coaching back in NZ. Before too long he could well be in charge of a S14 side. Opportunity missed! :evil:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Wish we had Ryan Constable in charge of things. Think of our pack being coached by Matt Sexton , assisted by Justin Harrison :)
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Opportunity maybe one which arose at the wrong time but one which provided everybody was happy about the outcome could be reactivated at a future date
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Who says Barker left because he was told he wasn't good enough I doubt he would return if that was the way it was

Players move for a variety of reasons which have at times very little to do with dissatisfaction but more to do with opportunity and desire for change and different experiences such as different players different life style etc
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Dewi Barnes
Squire

Post by Dewi Barnes »

Gary wrote:Wish we had Ryan Constable in charge of things. Think of our pack being coached by Matt Sexton , assisted by Justin Harrison :)
I think you are missing the point. In the real world the decision would be Matt Sexton OR Justin Harrison as these would have been the contracts under negotiation at the time.
A vote for Kimble is a vote for progress!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Dewi Barnes wrote:
Gary wrote:Wish we had Ryan Constable in charge of things. Think of our pack being coached by Matt Sexton , assisted by Justin Harrison :)
I think you are missing the point. In the real world the decision would be Matt Sexton OR Justin Harrison as these would have been the contracts under negotiation at the time.
Did we not lose Matt one full year before we got Justin? can't really have been an either/or decision :roll:
Paul.

Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Exactly - if Matt was currently our forwards coach, wouldn't Harrison still be here as well?
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dewi Barnes
Squire

Post by Dewi Barnes »

Paul,

How long do you think they were talking to Harrison?
It is always an either or.
Dewi Barnes
Squire

Post by Dewi Barnes »

Gary ,

The forwards coach contract had already been agreed for a three year period and was not available.

Just because you would like it to be true does not mean it is possible!
Gary
Chancellor to the King

Post by Gary »

Sexton was happy with a coaching post with the under 21's (I think that was the age group) but he wasn't offered it. If he had been taken on I suspect he might well have helped out with the big boys.
pressbox
Warrior

Post by pressbox »

If I recall correctly, Sexton may have been in for a post within Ulster Rugby, but then the jobs for the boys squad came in aqnd he was overlooked. :shock:

And I think, if I recall correctly again, he was to have teamed up with Solly at Northampton, but then something happened with Kennedy's move and Solly had to take Kennedy with him instead :(
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Dewi Barnes wrote:Paul,

How long do you think they were talking to Harrison?
It is always an either or.
I don't know could have been years, could have been months, could have been weeks. It is unlikely that it was only a few days. Supposing you are right Dewi, then perhaps this shows the limitations of the either-or approach. I was reporting some interesting comments made by Ryan C last night. Perhaps a more forward thinking organisation would have found a way to keep him (Matt) involved..... :roll:
Paul.

ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

You got that right ............. :twisted:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

It was clear there could have been a role for Sexton but his face didn't fit as for Barker it was IMHO made apparent that he left because there was not the opportunity there for him and he didn't see any chance of getting into the squad.

It was mentioned that Davidson rated Barker but it was clear that others within UR didn't maybe see it that was. If less than a year later he is being brought back then surely someone is missing something yes there were problems over his contract in that they wouldn't offer his a full one.

The same re the SH tie up something muted recently and turned down and something announced before which collapsed.

The clear thing that I got as I did with Willie Anderson and indeed to a degree McBride is that somethign ain't right despite the results on the pitch.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU