What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

Post by mikerob »

Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

How the Maze site could look if the plans get the go ahead
The prospect of a stadium being built at the Maze has been brought closer after the GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby confirmed they would play games there.

The three organisations have all signed a document estimating the minimum number of supporters they would hope to attract there annually.

Raymond Kennedy, president of the Irish Football Association, said the move made good economic sense.

"We did look at the business case - the business case stacks up," he said.

"We agreed that we would probably play seven fixtures - three competitive, two or three friendlies, a Setanta Cup final maybe and the Irish Cup final."

The plan is for a 35,000-seater stadium for soccer and rugby, and the provision of more seats for GAA fans.

Cost

Renting the new stadium would cost the three main sporting bodies about £1m annually.

To pay for that, the GAA has said it could bring at least 150,000 spectators to its games.

It believes the new stadium could be used to stage an All-Ireland Quarter Final or a national league decider.

The IFA said it could attract at least 80,000 fans, while Ulster Rugby estimates it could bring about 40,000 supporters through the turnstiles.

The IFA has said it would play at least six international matches there per year.

Rugby would include at least one Autumn international and all of Ulster's home Heineken Cup matches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7117820.stm
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

That's all well and good (and nothing really new other than a signed commitment). It is all based on the assumption that the stadium gets the green light from the ‘folks on the hill’ and that is one BIG assumption.

The politics of this project is the rock on which it could founder, not the sporting commitment.

If it's pay per punter that's £148,148.15 or £3.70 each - not bad value, but I still don't think it will happen.
Last edited by GerryO' on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

i thought they already had that commitment anyway
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

If you follow the link posted by Mikerob, you are able to WATCH a video including an interview with the IFA President.

In the video Austin O'Callaghan clarifies that the £1m is between the 3 sporting bodies. The text was unclear I felt.

Regarding Rugby, 1 Autumn international + 3 Heiny games with a total attendance of 40,000 - the mind boggles!

Most of the video is old footage IIRC. The IFA President interview may be new.

Why was this published today, who initiated same and why?

I was left confused at the end of the video and do not know if the business plan has been signed off or if that is the next step.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I thought IRFU were going to hold some of the Autumn games in Thomond as well :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The original PWC report talked about a rugby commitment of 3 x HEC games and an AI every other year.

It makes sense for rugby to go in with a low figure as presumably the government will try to enforce these commitments with the respective sports.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I recall that senario by PWC.

Mike Reid informed us at one stage that the Government had a plan for 30 games per annum of which 15 were to be Rugby.

MR also has spoken of smaller Autumn Intl's. (eg. USA) which effectively would be not more than one every other year. That may even have pre-dated the Thomond Plans.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

All kinds of promises will be made and all manner of excuses concocted to break them. Best we can hope for is a second rate autumn international every other year. The IRFU have a new stadium in Dublin to justify and pay for and a revamp of Thomond. Nothing with money spinning potential will be heading our way any time soon. Are the GAA going to abandon Clones and Casement? Wise up.

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/sport/article2815030.ece

The Maze stadium idea was a political brain-fart from a direct rule minister who had no idea what he was talking about.

Wingnut has jumped on the bandwagon as it suits his Lagan Valley agenda. When it comes to cold hard cash the GAA & IRFU will look after No.1. If it is built it will be a massive white elephant and lose a fortune every year.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Aye Gerry and don't forget the VAT or more precisely the lack of it down mexico way.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

With the birth of the Celtic Cup in football there could be more Football Internationals

But the rental figure £1m PER ANNUM is that each or split three ways or on the basis of a surcharge per bum on seat

I doubt if an annual income of £1m per annun would pay for the staffing on match days ground staff etc

but then there was talk of a 3000 place car park under it

shambles after the game trying to get out it takes about an hour half to clear 1500 from the Odyssey

of course Poots the instigator of this harebrained idea was meant to present a feasiblity study at the end of August

it still outstanding why ? my guess is the cooks ( or crooks {consultants } ) can't get the answer wanted ?

at 150000 it looks like only a 3-4 game commitment by the GAA

so it looks like 4 games rugby 6 games football and 4 games GAA

4 mid weekers 3 saturdays 3 fridays and 4 sundays 14 days out of 365
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

the £1m is split 3 ways.
Wingnut hasn't produced his figures yet cos his big boss says NO!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GerryO' wrote:the £1m is split 3 ways.
Wingnut hasn't produced his figures yet cos his big boss says NO!
Don't think Wingnuts abacus has that many wee beads on it :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Was it not reported recently that the 3 sports have now signed up to the Maze. I recall that UR said they would not sign up until they had seen the business plan so presumably that has already been made available.

I too would love to read the PWC report on the subject but will that ever be made public. I can't even see how UR could sign up to it the IRFU yes but not UR.

Also what of the development plans for Ravenhill did I not see somewhere that they moved forward in October this year. I recall we were told that by the autumn of 2007 work would be underway.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cockatrice wrote:
I too would love to read the PWC report on the subject but will that ever be made public. I can't even see how UR could sign up to it the IRFU yes but not UR.
I have seen one of those somewhere and it involved severe number confusion to make thing add up if memory serves me right or is there yet another report recently ?
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Try
http://www.dcalni.gov.uk/a_major_multi_ ... g_2005.pdf

and
http://www.dcalni.gov.uk/a_major_multi_ ... t_2005.pdf

Readers who have found the above interesting may also wish to download
http://www.dcalni.gov.uk/multi_sports_s ... r_2004.pdf

Should the above links fail - download from
http://www.dcalni.gov.uk/index/sport.htm

Not what you wanted?

Don't shoot the messenger!!!!!!!!!!!
I already suspect you will not get much more out of them than waffle - a bit like Rooster says really.

BTW, my belief is that the first one was used to move up from 30,000 to 42,000 - lovely use of smoke and mirrors. :roll: