Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote: As a voter in NI, I have been ‘sold a pup’ regarding a shared future.

I have always seen the potential for a ‘conflict and resolution centre’ being used by Republicans as propaganda but I have not previously stated so.

I now add another ‘against’ box to my originally ‘rugby based’ aversion to the Maze Stadium.
Cables this latest move in the big white house could well be the final nail in the coffin of what was to be the Maze stadium, don't be too quick to knock it :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

WTF have sheep in the Mournes got to do with this browner
Just my sense of humour Rooster................shared space and all that. :wink:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

browner wrote:
WTF have sheep in the Mournes got to do with this browner
Just my sense of humour Rooster................shared space and all that. :wink:
Mind you the sheep probably have more sense than the clampits in the big white house.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Sheep bombers................... :shock:

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/159773.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

I nearly laughed my leg off :lol: :lol:
Even the shinners are trying to sabotage their own plans for the Maze.
A republican terrorist commemoration in disguise :duh: They can’t help themselves.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

From the beeb today
Civil servants 'block Maze plan'

Some civil servants have tried to stop the Maze stadium project, Culture Minister Edwin Poots has said.

He was speaking after Belfast City Council announced a shortlist of five potential alternative stadium sites.

Mr Poots said there had been opposition to the Maze for a long time within the corridors of power.

"There have been those within the civil service who have been opposed to the project at the Maze right from its conception," he said.

"I would have to say that a lot of the work being done within the civil service has been to stop it, and that has been the case both before devolution and during devolution.

"Ultimately, members are going to have to make up their minds on this issue."

Last month, it emerged that the projected cost of building a stadium at the former Maze prison site was thought to be substantially higher than its reported £100m price tag.

One source told the BBC the cost was at least tens of millions of pounds higher.

The site for a national stadium in Northern Ireland has divided political opinion.

Sinn Féin has said the party will not support the idea unless it is on the site of the former Maze Prison.

However, some unionists oppose the Maze site because of plans for a conflict transformation centre at the stadium.

The Gaelic Athletic Association, Irish Football Association and Ulster Rugby have all confirmed they would play games at the Maze venue.

The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

First Ormeau, now Tillysburn!!
East Belfast stadium is planned

A business group headed by Glentoran president David Chick has revealed plans for a new 10,000-seat stadium at Tillysburn in east Belfast.

It is understood the proposal is for the ground to be used by Glentoran and another Irish Premier League club.

There are suggestions the capacity could be increased to allow the venue to stage Northern Ireland matches.

Chick is reported to have bought some of the land required but needs an adjoining City Council-owned site.

First Division club Harland & Wolf Welders are believed to have sold out to the business consortium after assurances that they would still be able to play at Tillysburn.

The proposals could face planning obstacles and the need to improve roads in the area, but the plan is for the staduim to become a reality within three years.

Chick, a former chairman of the IFA's senior clubs committee, said the ground could be an alternative for internationals if Northern Ireland moved from Windsor Park and plans for a new national stadium at the Maze near Lisburn fell through.

"My idea was to build a stadium to complement the Maze, not to compete," he told Sunday Life.

"The goalposts seem to be moving now in relation to the Maze but we are pressing on with our original plan to build a 10,000-seat stadium at Tillysburn.

"If a decision goes against the Maze, we would hopefully be in a position to respond by increasing our capacity."

The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Surely this is a similar concept to the one we discussed some time ago. Based on the land between Sydenham Bypass and the Holywood Road. The Glens have to move and moving a mile down the road would suit them. I think sharing with them would suit us if the capacity was doubled, but others will disagree.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

You're a man ahead of you're time!
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Is thon Glentoran president any relation of Ultimate Ulster Chick?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

when is this bloody stadium going to be ready for, its turned into a politics thing.

Anyway i would like it to be at the maze as i wouldn't have to drive into Belfast and I have to go down the M1 so its a lot shorter for me saying i live in Mid-ulster
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Big-al wrote:when is this bloody stadium going to be ready for, its turned into a politics thing.

Anyway i would like it to be at the maze as i wouldn't have to drive into Belfast and I have to go down the M1 so its a lot shorter for me saying i live in Mid-ulster
Yep as long as you are alright that's all that counts. :scratch:

Some fiigures in the Telegraph last week that the cost has gone through the £500 million mark - not a chance it will get built
at that price :cheers:

I have being saying a work for a good year now that I reckon a shared ground with Glentoran is on the cards - looking increasingly likely :thumleft:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

A ground share of a 10k stadium is pointless - it is even smaller than the reduced capacity of Ravenhill.

I would have thought the absolute minimum size would be 15k before UR would entertain the idea.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

I agree what I meant was I think that a stadium that is big enough us for big Heineken matches, the soccer International team and a home ground for Glentoran could be feasible. Clearly that would have to be more than 10000.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

The Glens 'plan' is an opening shot, not a finalised plan. they need more land from the city council and money from Stormont. the 10k will have to become 20k to be of any use to UR or NI.