Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by therealspratt »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
Mid Ulster ROB wrote:With Callum Black leaving, maybe that's why Tommy O'Hagan is touted to be starting against the Kings next week
Also why Callum was unceremoniously dropped a couple of weeks back

#baggyknew

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Oh you mean the time he took 30 hours to explain he had a bad back ............... the time the press had to ask Kiss repeatedly "WHERE'S CALLUM"

Aye, that would be right. My conclusion is that UR could not give CB the contract he was after, he signed up for his old club and FOLK in a fit of pique dropped him.
Isn't it an amazing thing, how a player is playing the best rugby of his career shortly before disappearing off to pastures new?
Maybe has been playing to put himself in the shop window!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

therealspratt wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
Mid Ulster ROB wrote:With Callum Black leaving, maybe that's why Tommy O'Hagan is touted to be starting against the Kings next week
Also why Callum was unceremoniously dropped a couple of weeks back

#baggyknew

Oh you mean the time he took 30 hours to explain he had a bad back ............... the time the press had to ask Kiss repeatedly "WHERE'S CALLUM"

Aye, that would be right. My conclusion is that UR could not give CB the contract he was after, he signed up for his old club and FOLK in a fit of pique dropped him.
Isn't it an amazing thing, how a player is playing the best rugby of his career shortly before disappearing off to pastures new?
Maybe has been playing to put himself in the shop window!
Yes, that's what I meant. Nothing amazing about it.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I'd have neither, it's time to stop hiring mercenaries unless they are exceptional, neither Wasp meets that criteria.

Ulster needs players who are invested in the shirt, a bit of the GAA mentality of parish above all, fewer and better NIQs would suit my thoughts, no more dross and with the 5 year project period, no player worth a damn is likely to be pursuing that as a career move.

Feckin' foreigners coming over here stealing our Dave's jobs. :lol: Enough I say.

I hope Hond proves to be the tipping point and we stop buying in worse players than are already here. I remember sitting listening to Doc Dave saying that we must only sign top class players who improve the team & demand selection. Deysel & Hond, in particular, do not meet that criterion.

As projects, Robbie & Herbst the lion tamer/killer wouldn't meet it either other than as projects, Louis, on the other hand, was a top-notch project as obviously was Girrid.
Joking aside, I'd go a long way with this. I'd much rather have a home grown team than a stack of mercenaries. The question that still needs answered is, 'If we don't have the home grown players to compete at the highest level at the minute, are we happy to be North Connaught or West Dragons for the next five, ten years or whatever?' Maybe that is the way forward, just accept that we are what we are and, now and again, we'll have a purple patch and maybe win something. You are also right, a wee bit of the GAA about us wouldn't go amiss
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

solidarity wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I'd have neither, it's time to stop hiring mercenaries unless they are exceptional, neither Wasp meets that criteria.

Ulster needs players who are invested in the shirt, a bit of the GAA mentality of parish above all, fewer and better NIQs would suit my thoughts, no more dross and with the 5 year project period, no player worth a damn is likely to be pursuing that as a career move.

Feckin' foreigners coming over here stealing our Dave's jobs. :lol: Enough I say.

I hope Hond proves to be the tipping point and we stop buying in worse players than are already here. I remember sitting listening to Doc Dave saying that we must only sign top class players who improve the team & demand selection. Deysel & Hond, in particular, do not meet that criterion.

As projects, Robbie & Herbst the lion tamer/killer wouldn't meet it either other than as projects, Louis, on the other hand, was a top-notch project as obviously was Girrid.
Joking aside, I'd go a long way with this. I'd much rather have a home grown team than a stack of mercenaries. The question that still needs answered is, 'If we don't have the home grown players to compete at the highest level at the minute, are we happy to be North Connaught or West Dragons for the next five, ten years or whatever?' Maybe that is the way forward, just accept that we are what we are and, now and again, we'll have a purple patch and maybe win something. You are also right, a wee bit of the GAA about us wouldn't go amiss
I don't think we would ever bottom out as being that bad even if we did get rid of the mercenaries.

I would just prefer we only sign top class players who are near the very top for there position in the world. If we have 4 NIQ spots and 1 project but can only sign 1 top class NIQ player, then so be it. Even if we were light in another area, we could then have the wiggle room to bring in someone to fill a void in the squad. But only sign top class players as NIQ. It's a waste of time and money signing average foreigners. Hell I'd even be willing to only sign 2 world class players and use the money allocated for 4 players on 2 that are at the very top of the game to push our squad.

Point is, we shouldn't just sign any average NIQ to fill NIQ spots that are open. If we can't get top quality then keep the money in the pocket and use it internally to improve development of local kids, maybe through some cash to top academy players in other irish academies to come North instead. But we can't keep signing tom kite NIQ's.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We have a NIQ in I believe year 1 of 2, who cannot elbow his way past the academy kids to make the bench never mind the XV.
I thought he was pants at Munster and I've seen nothing since to suggest I was wrong.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Snipe Watson wrote:We have a NIQ in I believe year 1 of 2, who cannot elbow his way past the academy kids to make the bench never mind the XV.
I thought he was pants at Munster and I've seen nothing since to suggest I was wrong.
The problem with Deysel IMO is that he isn't a primary carrier in the squad, when he played alongside Coetzee, he looked decent because Coetzee shared some of the tight work with him and made most of the big carries, so Deysel was able to make inroads in the defence when it was occupied with dealing with the bigger ball carrier. When he is asked to be the main source of front foot ball, he doesn't quite have the dynamism to be able to cope in that regard
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

breakdown wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:We have a NIQ in I believe year 1 of 2, who cannot elbow his way past the academy kids to make the bench never mind the XV.
The problem with Deysel IMO is that he isn't a primary carrier in the squad, when he played alongside Coetzee, he looked decent because Coetzee shared some of the tight work with him and made most of the big carries, so Deysel was able to make inroads in the defence when it was occupied with dealing with the bigger ball carrier. When he is asked to be the main source of front foot ball, he doesn't quite have the dynamism to be able to cope in that regard
ergo he's not good enough
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ColinM wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Correct, we needed a ball carrier and got a decent ruck operator/tackler who is as hard as nails, but lacks much of the skill needed.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Have to be honest, I thought any man who was capped 4 times in tests for SA had to have enough about him to do a job but if you look at his stats since he went to Japan in 2014, he has played very little rugby for any side.

In retrospect it was a lazy signing, "he's in the country, he's good enough for Munster's bench, he'll do us rightly" seems the thinking.

In the opening 50 minutes of the season as he followed the rampaging Coetzee around, picking up the scraps I had a surge of optimism, but he's no Marcell. He is the rugby equivalent of a wringer out for a one-armed window cleaner. As for his minor eye trauma which kept him out for what - 4/6 weeks? - SHMOG, that was pitiful and another example where Ulster have clearly not been truthful to the great unwashed of late. That, of course, is another story, why are UR determined to bullshit their followers?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

ColinM wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Well, not good enough on his own, but good enough when he has some others to help him
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

breakdown wrote:
ColinM wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Well, not good enough on his own, but good enough when he has some others to help him
Which is not good enough for an NIQ spot.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm prepared to give the underperforming NIQs another shot (they will be delighted to know) with Jonno in full control. It's a fresh start.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:I'm prepared to give the underperforming NIQs another shot (they will be delighted to know) with Jonno in full control. It's a fresh start.
Hond and Jean have 8 matches to ensure they're still playing next season

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm prepared to give the underperforming NIQs another shot (they will be delighted to know) with Jonno in full control. It's a fresh start.

What are they on a year I wonder. I assume we can't just turf them out without paying them off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Russ wrote:

What are they on a year I wonder. I assume we can't just turf them out without paying them off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The year before the world cup you will get feck all. Better to wait until after.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?