letter in Bele Tele

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

ali c
Warrior

letter in Bele Tele

Post by ali c »

What is happening in Ulster rugby? Munster are about to open their new facility with a capacity of 26,000 and Leinster are currently able to accommodate 19,500 at the RDS.

The present capacity of Ravenhill is stated to be 12,800. Work is due to start this November on a new Ravenhill stand that will reduce the capacity of the ground.

At the same time, we are told that an attendance of 13,000 is required to maintain an appropriate flow of income. We are also told that even after the national stadium comes into existence, the majority of Ulster games will still be played at Ravenhill, the spiritual home of Ulster rugby.

The only way that this makes sense are the references made to the income generated from sponsors, the business community and, of course, the corporate streams.

So, that is all right, then.

The ordinary supporter receives no consideration in the future plans at all. Sadly, it would appear that it is the intention of Ulster rugby that it is to become a game restricted to those who can either afford high prices or who are lucky enough to have appropriate connections.

The only benefit I can see is that the reduced capacity may result in a bit more space in the beer tent.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: letter in Bele Tele

Post by Rooster »

All right own up who wrote it ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

Rooster wrote:All right own up who wrote it ?
D PREST

Belfast
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

D PREST probably means depressed - there are some here quite good at crafting such names.

D NIALL
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Sounds a bit like Lou Scannon............... :duck:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

more like Just Right :twisted:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

You may well be correct ding dong.

This magical 13,000 figure requires to be explained in more detail by someone.

Why do I say so?

Last season in the Heiny, only two of the teams reaching the QF's exceeded 13,000 average gate for Heiny Pool games. Three teams who did exceed 13,000 average in the Heiny Pool games did not progress beyond the Pool stages. LI and Sarries made it with attendances in the 7,000's. Ulster achieved 10,335.

Ulster finished equal 19th (19, 20, 21, 22, ,23, 24) while our attendance was in 10th place and above three of the quarter finalists. BTW, we were highest in attendance of those who finished bottom of their Pool and higher than eight teams who finished higher in their Pools than we did.

Stadia size and attendance does not appear to be the key to being competitive in European competition.

Obviously this assumes Heiny games for all teams attract higher attendances and neglects income streams from lesser games. I just cannot take it that far. Hence the need for someone to explain.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

cables wrote:You may well be correct ding dong.

This magical 13,000 figure requires to be explained in more detail by someone.

Why do I say so?

Last season in the Heiny, only two of the teams reaching the QF's exceeded 13,000 average gate for Heiny Pool games. Three teams who did exceed 13,000 average in the Heiny Pool games did not progress beyond the Pool stages. LI and Sarries made it with attendances in the 7,000's. Ulster achieved 10,335.

Ulster finished equal 19th (19, 20, 21, 22, ,23, 24) while our attendance was in 10th place and above three of the quarter finalists. BTW, we were highest in attendance of those who finished bottom of their Pool and higher than eight teams who finished higher in their Pools than we did.

Stadia size and attendance does not appear to be the key to being competitive in European competition.

Obviously this assumes Heiny games for all teams attract higher attendances and neglects income streams from lesser games. I just cannot take it that far. Hence the need for someone to explain.
Couple of questions/points Cables...
Who were 2 teams who exceeded 13K? Stade? Surely they are inflated by the Stade France stadium figs? (& they don't happen EVERY week - even in HEC) Leics?

Heard the other day (blue-sky figs) Ulster are paid £100K for Bank Of Ireland sponsorship on centre chest of shirt...per season? Or in total?
Reliably informed B.of Ire. deal has year to run. They have first refusal to renew. No negotiations required...in other words, it is their deal until they decide otherwise. Thus cannot be re-negotiated until THEY decide to pull plug. (Compare & contrast ref "Caterpillar" deal with Leics Tigers...£6 MILLLION??? Ffs...how do we compete? Ever???) "IF" true - who on earth negotiated our deal?? Can ANYONE shed ANY light?
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Toulouse and Gloucester.

Stade were 9,918 compared to our 10,335.

Anyone with a first refusal to renew would seem to be in a position of control - but what do I know!
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Actually GC I have reflected on my previous post and I would wish to retract or at least explain further.

First refusal would probably be at the asking price of the seller. If so then there is no significant control by the purchaser. :oops:
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

cables wrote:Actually GC I have reflected on my previous post and I would wish to retract or at least explain further.

First refusal would probably be at the asking price of the seller. If so then there is no significant control by the purchaser. :oops:
Cables,
I take your point, but i'm guessing you were responding to a facile question elsewhere...Look forward to your thoughts on my last question (Yip - off-topic browner...but sometimes needs must...)
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Glynncommando wrote:[Heard the other day (blue-sky figs) Ulster are paid £100K for Bank Of Ireland sponsorship on centre chest of shirt...per season? Or in total?
Reliably informed B.of Ire. deal has year to run.
Open to correction, but IIRC BoI deal was for announced a couple of years ago as being in excess of 7 figures (I'm assuming that doesn't include the pennies). I.E. it was in excess of one million quid. I think it was over 3 years (so that would fit with having one year to run), but although no details, I assumed that meant at least £333K per year.

but what would I know?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Glynncommando wrote:[Heard the other day (blue-sky figs) Ulster are paid £100K for Bank Of Ireland sponsorship on centre chest of shirt...per season? Or in total?
Reliably informed B.of Ire. deal has year to run.
Open to correction, but IIRC BoI deal was for announced a couple of years ago as being in excess of 7 figures (I'm assuming that doesn't include the pennies). I.E. it was in excess of one million quid. I think it was over 3 years (so that would fit with having one year to run), but although no details, I assumed that meant at least £333K per year.

but what would I know?
I hope it does not run out at the end of this season Grumps, there ain't a lot of cash going spare in the banks these days for sponsorship.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:I hope it does not run out at the end of this season Grumps, there ain't a lot of cash going spare in the banks these days for sponsorship.
I can't remember the details, my feathered friend, but it was launched in a blaze of publicity a couple of years ago - maybe someone who knows there way around the UR website could find it if it's still hidden in there. Perhaps a forlorn hope after 2 or 3 re-launches though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rooster wrote:I hope it does not run out at the end of this season Grumps, there ain't a lot of cash going spare in the banks these days for sponsorship.
I can't remember the details, my feathered friend, but it was launched in a blaze of publicity a couple of years ago - maybe someone who knows there way around the UR website could find it if it's still hidden in there. Perhaps a forlorn hope after 2 or 3 re-launches though.
Should still be there it's just the look of the place that changes not the content, except cables tells them they are wrong that is :lol:
Rory Best