letter in Bele Tele

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: letter in Bele Tele

Post by cables »

It was January 2007 and was the first £1m sponsorship of a Northern Ireland team. The association goes back more than 10 years. It is a 3 year deal - presumably to end of 2009 based on the date of the agreement.

BOI are the Team Sponsor. A shirt sponsorship deal here would not yield figures at that level.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

That fits with my recollection cables - I just wasn't sure enough to post with conviction.

Also, IIRC however, that deal did give them sole shirt advertising rights at the time - hence Titan disappeared from the shirt, only to reappear a short time later on the shorts.

BT have since reappeared also (along with Magners associated with the actual league)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I have now found that the deal was actually signed in March 2006.

Don't really know why the January 2007 'announcement' I picked up on was made so late when it was old hat by then. :scratch:
Bank of Ireland and Ulster Rugby break new ground through first £1m+ team sponsorship
24th January 2007

Bank of Ireland today became the first ever £1million plus sponsor of a sporting team in Northern Ireland when it unveiled an unprecedented three-year deal with the Ulster Rugby squad.

In a joint announcement with Ulster Rugby, the Bank said it had signed the ground-breaking deal to become sole sponsor of the team for “a substantial seven figure sum.”

Colm McKenna, Head of Marketing Bank of Ireland said: “The deal we’ve signed today is the highlight so far of a hugely successful relationship between Bank of Ireland and Ulster Rugby. This further three-year sponsorship builds on an association between us that began in 1997/98 ahead of Ulster’s historic European Cup win.”

“Ulster Rugby continues to enthral spectators and inspire huge numbers of supporters of all ages. More importantly, it leads the field in the development of professional sport here. Since we began our sponsorship of them nine years ago, the team has grown out of all recognition.

“From a side dominated by part-time players, Ulster Rugby has grown into the only sport in Northern Ireland running a full-time professional team with a supporting structure underneath it to ensure the development of the game.”

Ulster Rugby Chief Executive Michael Reid said "Over the past nine years, the Bank of Ireland have become our major partner in every sense of the word and it's support of this sort, which represents much more than just financial sponsorship, which has allowed us to bring high calibre players to Ulster and to further develop our own young players to build the successful team we have today. This ground-breaking deal, which is a major step forward for Ulster Rugby, highlights the ever increasing strong relationship between sport and business and the Bank of Ireland have been with us from the very beginning. We look forward to our continued partnership together."

Bank of Ireland is one of Northern Ireland’s leading sponsors of sport and the arts. Its sporting sponsorships also include the Irish Cricket Team and GAA competitions.
Sorry folks - no intent to mislead.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Anyone know what a team sponsor covers apart from their name on the shirt ??
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Don't know CT but a question in a recent PM from A N Other led me to speculate that the following are conceivable in addition to the front of shirt advertising:

Ground advertising
Match Programme advertising
Match tickets
Player access and corporate functions

Does it matter if it is the best deal available?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

cables- not really but I suspect they will find it hard to replicate a similar deal given our position at this time. I do however hope that such exclusive deals are not a sign of a lack of interest from other quarters.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU