Yes as in Ulster
Thus the post of the season award.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Matt Williams will be out by Christmas

Post by BR »

Oh Gerry wrote:Yes as in Ulster
Thus the post of the season award.
It could have equally been a 'U' for 'Uk fer gods sake another knock on' ;)

Got me thinking what the actual BSL 'word' for Ulster would be. At the minute I can't decide between

headsign.jpg
headsign.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
and
kosign.jpg
kosign.jpg (3.41 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Maybe by using a firm of consultants to headhunt the last appointment it got round the fact that others might actually apply for the job and might actually have to be considered.

At the time a number of names cropped up in the press but UR decided that the best approach was to spend money on consultants to go out and get the best man for the job. They found him in OZ though it would be interesting to know where else they ventured in the search. It might also be interesting to know who the consultants were or indeed how much the exercise cost. Was this really needed?

More a critisism of UR and how they go about it rather than MW. Surely by seeing who applys for a job one then has a better idea of who wants it rather than finding someone happy with his family in OZ and tempting him back with a good contract.

When McCall was appointed the indications were that the short list consisited of Kidney, Anderson & McCall. That was however restricted by the fact that the IRFU had seemingly decreed that any appointment had to be from Ireland something which later didn't apply for Leinster.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:...... More a critisism of UR and how they go about it rather than MW. .....
You surprise me, CT .....

..... NOT!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The IRFU is a small clique and they were all well aware of the job Matt had done with Leinster. I suspect they paid lip service to a process while they always had Matt in mind. Had they failed to secure him they would have looked wider, but I suspect that going in, they had a 'longlist' of 1.
As with all things IRFU the real agenda would have been kept quiet in case it fell flat. The Solly/Sexton ticket was never a runner as long as Matt showed interest.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Oh Gerry wrote:The Solly/Sexton ticket was never a runner as long as Matt showed interest.
The Solly/Sexton ticket was never a runner in the foreseeable future whether Matt showed interest or not.

I wouldn't rule out a Sexton return in the long term, but not in the short/medium terms
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Oh Gerry wrote:The Solly/Sexton ticket was never a runner as long as Matt showed interest.
The Solly/Sexton ticket was never a runner in the foreseeable future whether Matt showed interest or not.

I wouldn't rule out a Sexton return in the long term, but not in the short/medium terms
Hope you are right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Straight from the horse's* mouth a few days before MMcC resigned. Whether it will happen is another matter

* Not that I would call Matt Sexton a horse, it's a figure of speech, you understand!
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I was a big Matt sexton fan when he was here and haven't had reason to change that stance since he retired. He showed outstanding leadership when he was here and as I sure I said at the time. He is destined for success as a coach. People are inclined to wax lyrical about Kempson and rightly so, but the Sexton effect should not to be under estimated.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Oh Gerry wrote:I was a big Matt sexton fan when he was here and haven't had reason to change that stance since he retired. He showed outstanding leadership when he was here and as I sure I said at the time. He is destined for success as a coach. People are inclined to wax lyrical about Kempson and rightly so, but the Sexton effect should not to be under estimated.
When playing, Kempson may have been the boss, but In the context of coaching, Kempson is the NCO to Sexton the officer.
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

And Sexton wanted to stay :cry:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Both still working for UR in ad-hoc capacities - scouting and advising on players in SH
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Both still working for UR in ad-hoc capacities - scouting and advising on players in SH
I believe Kempson had a word with BJ and possibly Diack during negotiations
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

RHH wrote:
was allegedly promised the academy position then got shafted for the Boat...
Whether it is a surprise or not this is one reason why I said what I did. Overlooked after promised the position the process then went on appointing a former player who apparently didn't have the relevant qualifications for the job at the expense of a more experienced & qualified coach. UR need overhauled.

My issue with MW was appointing a consultancy to head hunt the 'best' man the best way forward or was it simply the easiest way to get round preventing other interested parties applying. As well as that was it a costly exercise for UR and could they simply not have made a phone call given his obvious links with the IRFU in the past.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

CT is corre...... I agree with Cockat.... CT makes a valid po......

Sorry, I just can't get the words out. I'll try again later :D
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians