Montpellier watch.

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier watch.

Post by damianmcr »

Toulouse stuffed by Montpellier.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

25 nil and very impressive. Nagusa excellent.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Montpellier played very well, both defensively and on the counter. Had a bit of fortune with one of the tries but looked very threatening. They've also got the recent AB Rene Ranger to join their ranks which will boost that attacking threat even more.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Perpignan 28-16 Montpellier

Perpignan picked up a bonus-point win as they ran in four tries past Montpellier in a 28-16 victory on Friday.

Dewaldt Duvenage, Justin Purll, Sofiane Guitoune and Romain Taofifenua all crossed for the hosts in a match watched by France coach Philippe Saint-André.

Montpellier desperately hunted a losing bonus point late on following Timoci Nagusa's 74th minute try, but it came all too late for last season's Heineken Cup quarter-finalists.

James Hook opened the scoring in the third-minute with a penalty, after signing an extension with Perpignan earlier in the week.

The opening try for Duvenage shortly followed, the South African scrum-half evading tacklers to touch down after confirmation from the TMO.

Purll was in on the action only two minutes later, driving over Francois Trinh-Duc to score after good work from Wandile Mjekevu, as USAP went 15-0 up after ten minutes.

Benoit Paillaugue added a penalty for Montpellier but new France squad member Sofiane Guitoune was on hand for the hosts' third try, as Perpignan put Montpellier at arm's length early on, USAP leading 20-6 at half-time.

Paillaugue's third penalty after the break narrowed the gap until second row Taofifenua was found out on the wing - powering over the last defender to wrap up the bonus point win for his team.

Nagusa's score would come late on and Montpellier did throw everything at Perpignan to try and take the losing bonus point, but it wasn't to be.

For Montpellier:
Try: Nagusa
Con: Pélissié
Pens: Paillaugue 3

Montpellier: 15. Benoit Sicart, 14. Lucas Dupont, 13. Thomas Combezou, 12. Wynand Olivier, 11. Yohann Artru, 10. Francois Trinh-Duc, 9. Benoit Paillaugue, 8. Johnnie Beattie, 7. Alexandre Bias (capt), 6. Alex Tulou, 5. Thibaut Privat, 4. Robins Tchale-Watchou, 3. Nicolas Mas, 2. Charles Géli, 1. Yvan Watremez.
Replacements: 16. Mickael Ivaldi, 17. Na'ama Leleimalefaga, 18. Mickael De Marco, 19. Kélian Galletier, 20. Jonathan Pélissié, 21. Anthony Tuitavaké, 22. Timoci Nagusa, 23. Maximiliano Bustos.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Montpellier 43 - 3 Clermont
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Russ wrote:Montpellier 43 - 3 Clermont
We are truly in the pool of death!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Classy Montpellier hammer Clermont

Montpellier sent out a warning message to their French and European rivals on Friday with an impressive 43-3 victory over Clermont at Stade Yves Du Manoir.

Jonathan Pelissie grabbed 31 points as Montpellier ran riot to provisionally move top of the standings.

Scrum-half Pelissie scored two of his team's four tries and kicked 21 points in the bonus-point Top 14 win as Clermont, whose last victory at Montpellier's Stade du Manoir was in 2009, were knocked off the summit.

Clermont had been briefly ahead when Morgan Parra, handed the kicking duties in the absence of Brock James, slotted over a first-minute penalty.

But it was all downhill from there for last season's European Cup runners-up as Pelissie took charge.

He kicked three penalties - the last of which was awarded for a high tackle by Clermont's New Zealand flier Sitiveni Sivivatu on Montpellier wing Yoann Audrin.

Clermont were then rocked by the injury-enforced losses of hooker Benjamin Kayser and Canadian lock Jamie Cudmore.

Montpellier took full advantage of the disruptions to score two quickfire tries, both thanks to brilliant individual work by Pelissie.

In the 25th minute, the 25-year-old picked-up from the base of the scrum, exploited the smallest of gaps before sprinting through three half-hearted tackles to score.

He converted for 16-3 and then added his second try of the night five minutes later.

Montpellier turned the ball over, allowing Pelissie to kick ahead and chase down his own punt.

The ball fell kindly for the former Grenoble player who darted over for the try with his extras making it 23-3.

Another penalty just before the break completed the Pelissie one-man show as Montpellier stretched to 26-3 at the break.

Pelissie then took his and his team's tally to 29 points shortly after the restart with another penalty.

Two minutes later, the home side grabbed a third try when French international fly-half Francois Trinh-Duc finished a move which started when Clermont's Wesley Fofana had a loose pass intercepted by Timoci Nagusa.

Pelissie added the conversion for a 36-3 lead.

Sivivatu's night then got worse when he was yellow-carded for failing to release the ball.

While he was off the field, Montpellier kept up the pressure and Trinh-Duc grabbed his second try on the 65-minute mark which he converted himself for 43-3.

The irrepressible Pelissie was still involved, however, having made the initial break which created the try.

Pelissie was then replaced by Benoit Paillauge, earning a standing ovation from the 12,000-strong crowd as he left the pitch after his 31-point haul.

For Montpellier:
Tries: Pélissié 2, Trinh-Duc 2
Cons: Pélissié 3, Trinh-Duc
Pens: Pélissié 5
Yellow card: Ouedraogo

Montpellier: 15 Anthony Floch, 14 Timoci Nagusa, 13 Anthony Tuitavake, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Yoan Audrin, 10 Francois Trinh-Duc, 9 Jonathan Pelissie, 8 Alex Tulou, 7 Alexandre Bias, 6 Fulgence Ouedraogo, 5 Thibaut Privat, 4 Bobins Tchale watchou, 3 Maximiliano Bustos, 2 Mickael Ivaldi, 1 Yvan Watremez,
Replacements: 16 Charles Geli, 17 Nicolas Mas, 18 Mickael De Marco, 19 Kelian Galletier, 20 Benoit Paillaugue, 21 Thomas Combezou, 22. Benoit Sicart, 23Naama Leleimalefaga.
Redhandoff
Novice

Post by Redhandoff »

The wee man at scrum half is a real danger....he is gonna take some watching round the base of the scrum. :shock:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions,but they are not entitled to their own facts."(D.P.Moynihan)
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Imagine, a legend like Mas only on the bench ffs.. aw well, there to be beaten... >buba
Exterminate all rational thought
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Stade Francais win again

Stade Français continued their excellent start to the Top 14 season on Friday with a 18-11 victory over high-flying Montpellier in Paris.

Stade Français provisionally took top spot in France with another confident display as the Paris giants confirmed their status as a rejuvenated force this season.

Stade scored two tries, one in each half, to claim a sixth win in eight games.

The Parisians, reborn under new coach Gonzalo Quesada, have endured a lean time in France in the last four seasons, finishing in 8th, 11th, 7h and 10th place.

But last weekend, Stade moved into second spot after ending promoted Oyonnax's 22-month undefeated home run with a 16-15 win.

Montpellier, meanwhile, had shocked European Cup runners-up Clermont 43-3 with scrum-half Jonathan Pelissie contributing 31 points.

Pelissie resumed where he left off on Friday by kicking a fourth minute penalty for a 3-0 lead.

But Pelissie wasn't allowed the same freedom to exploit spaces by Stade and after he missed another penalty and fly-off François Trinh-Duc had gone wide with two optimistic drop goal attempts, the home side pounced.

Julien Dupuy levelled with a penalty before skipper Sergio Parisse was twice involved in the move which led to the only try of the first half.

His crucial link-up play allowed winger Julien Arias to unleash a clever flicked pass which eventually led to prop Rabah Slimani finishing off the cross-field move.

Dupuy added the conversion for a 10-3 half-time lead at Stade Jean Bouin which had earlier observed a minute's silence for a worker killed in an accident at the ground on Wednesday night.

Dupuy then succeeded with a 47-metre penalty early in the second half for a 13-3 advantage which was quickly trimmed by a penalty by Pelissie.

Stade then grabbed their second try of the night when full-back Hugo Bonneval drew two defenders before quickly off-loading to Jules Plisson who sprinted away to score.

The try survived a video referral for a possible knock-on before Dupuy missed the conversion.

Stade's 18-6 lead didn't last too long as Trinh-Duc then went over in the corner for Montpellier for 18-11.

The French international fly-half fell short with the conversion and Stade comfortably played out the remainder of the game.

The scorers:

For Stade Francais:
Tries: Slimani, Plisson
Con: Dupuy
Pens: Dupuy 2

For Montpellier:
Try: Trinh-Duc
Pens: Pelissie 2

Stade Francais: 15 Hugo Bonneval, 14 Julien Arias, 13 Geoffrey Doumayrou, 12 Paul Williams, 11 Djibril Camara, 10. Jules Plisson, 9 Julien Dupuy, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Pierre Rabadan, 6 Scott Lavalla, 5 Pascal Pape, 4 Gerhard Mostert, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Laurent Sempere, 1 Heinke van der Merwe.
Replacements: 16 Aled de Malmanche, 17 David Attoub, 18 Alexandre Flanquart, 19 Antoine Burban, 20 Jerome Fillol, 21 Jonathan Danty, 22 Jerome Porical, 23 Sakaria Taulafo,

Montpellier: 15 Anthony Floch, 14 Timoci Nagusa, 13 Anthony Tuitavake, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Yoan Audrin, 10 Francois Trinh-Duc, 9 Jonathan Pelissie, 8 Alex Tulou, 7 Alexandre Bias, 6 Fulgence Ouedraogo, 5 Thibaut Privat, 4 Bobins Tchale watchou, 3 Maximiliano Bustos, 2 Mickael Ivaldi, 1 Yvan Watremez.
Replacements: 16 Charles Geli, 17 Nicolas Mas, 18 Johan Aliouat, 19 Kelian Gellatier, 20 Benoit Paillaugue, 21 Thomas Combezou, 22 Benoit Sicart, 23 Naama Leleimalefaga.

Referee: C. Lafon
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Playing the giant-killing minnows US Oyonnax tonight. Here's their team, and ironically I can't help but think that they're resting a couple of players:

15. Anthony Floch
14. Anthony Tuitavake
13. Thomas Combezou
12. Wynand Olivier
11. Yoan Audrin
10. Francois Trinh-Duc
9. Benoit Paillaugue
1. Yvan Watremez
2. Charles Geli
3. Nicolas Mas
4. Robins Tchale-Watchou
5. Thibaut Privat
6. Fulgence Ouedraogo (c)
7. Alexandre Bias
8. Kelian Galletier

16. Mickael Ivaldi
17. Maximiliano Bustos
18. Johan Aliouat
19. Alex Tulou
20. Eric Escande
21. Enzo Selponi
22. Yohann Artru
23. Na'ama Leleimalefaga
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Every team in our pool got a good result this week:
Montpellier Hérault Rugby 45-20 US Oyonnax
Stade Yves Du Manoir, Montpellier

Level with Toulon at the top of the table, Montpellier underlined their credentials as title contenders in both France and Europe with another bonus-point win at home.

Fabien Galthié has the luxury of picking from two world class scrum halves. Benoît Paillaugue scored 20 points to match Jonathan Pélissié's heroics against Clermont.

The home pack was impressive once again while François Trinh-Duc keeps on pushing for a national call up with another try-scoring display.

The scorers:

For Montpellier:
Tries:
Penalty try, Trinh-Duc, Combezou 2, Paillaugue, Floch
Cons: Paillaugue 6
Pens: Paillaugue

For Oyonnax:
Tries:
Tian, Ursache
Cons: Urdapilleta, Barnard
Pens: Urdapilleta 2
Yellow cards: Tichit, Figuerola

Montpellier: 15 Anthony Floch, 14 Anthony Tuitavake, 13 Thomas Combezou, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Yoan Audrin, 10 François Trinh-Duc, 9 Benoît Paillaugue, 8 Kélian Galletier, 7 Alexandre Bias 6 Fulgence Ouedraogo (c) 5 Thibaut Privat- 4 Robins Tchalé-Watchou, 3 Nicolas Mas, 2 Charles Géli, 1 Yvan Watremez,
Replacements: 16 Mickaël Ivaldi, 17 Maximiliano Bustos, 18 Johan Aliouat, 19 Alex Tulou, 20 Eric Escande, 21 Enzo Selponi, 22 Yohann Artru, 23 Na'ama Leleimalefaga

Oyonnax: 15 Tian 14 Codjo, 13 Aguillon, 12 Hansell-Pune (c), 11 Bousquet, 10 Urdapilleta, 9 Cibray, 8 Ursache, 7 Slade, 6 Diaby, 5 Browne, 4 Nemecek, 3 Baiocco, 2 Clark, 1 Tichit.
Replacements: 16 Jenneker, 17 Du Preez, 18 Lagrange, 19 Maafu, 20 Figuerola, 21 Barnard, 22 Paea, 23 Iapteff
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Treviso have any chance? Montpellier ain't done much away from home this season....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

It's definitely not a full Montpellier side out. They welcome back Mamuka Gorgodze, but certainly there is a case of they're resting a couple of players.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

resting players for treviso?? Interesting and risky I would say.... Treviso did a job on Munster a few weeks back. That said if they pull it off then it's a cracking roll of the dice...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'