Salary cap increase for PRL sides

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Salary cap increase for PRL sides

Post by rocky »

I see from the BBC website that the English salary cap is going up by £500,000 to £5M from next season. In addition, they don't have to count their most expensive player so Gloucester, for example, won't have to count Afoa's £400,000 in their total.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25826969

Surely, that will mean their wages bill for players is a good deal more than ours (not including the assumption that their big clubs spend far more on players already)?
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Salary cap increase for PRL sides

Post by Rooster »

rocky wrote:I see from the BBC website that the English salary cap is going up by £500,000 to £5M from next season. In addition, they don't have to count their most expensive player so Gloucester, for example, won't have to count Afoa's £400,000 in their total.

Surely, that will mean their wages bill for players is a good deal more than ours (not including the assumption that their big clubs spend far more on players already)?
All lies rocky, IRFU spend over 80 million on each of the Irish provinces along with paying all the Irish players as well.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rooster wrote:
rocky wrote:I see from the BBC website that the English salary cap is going up by £500,000 to £5M from next season. In addition, they don't have to count their most expensive player so Gloucester, for example, won't have to count Afoa's £400,000 in their total.

All lies rocky, IRFU spend over 80 million on each of the Irish provinces along with paying all the Irish players as well.
Now Rooster that's an exaggeration, it was 80 million euro each.... you'd lead people to believe all sorts
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Now Rooster that's an exaggeration, it was 80 million euro each.... you'd lead people to believe all sorts
800 billion across our 4 super clubs with a similar across our clubs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

God, here am I trying to make a serious point and all you croziers can do is try to be funny!!! I'm going to do a Deramore. I've never been so insulted/offended/mentally violated/ in my brief life :evil: :evil: :evil:
PS - was it really only £80 million? Feckin' cheapskates! >yahoo >yahoo >yahoo
Bo***cks to Brexit
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by rocky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 pm

I see from the BBC website that the English salary cap is going up by £500,000 to £5M from next season. In addition, they don't have to count their most expensive player so Gloucester, for example, won't have to count Afoa's £400,000 in their total.

Their wage bill has been higher than ours for some time now, and this most expensive player rule is not new.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Interesting take on this from none other than Austin Healey, the wee mouthpiece seems to be talking sense for a change :shock:
We have already seen it in action, in the case of Toby Flood, where coach Stuart Lancaster’s stance on not picking players who choose to turn their back on the Premiership, in preference for a dip at the Top 14 and the significant wage increase it brings with it, has been put into immediate action.

This is where players need to start looking long and hard at the decisions that are being taken in this current climate. If a player is getting paid £300,000 by his club on this side of the Channel, and he picks up another £150,000-£200,000 a year for playing for his country, he will end up with the best part of £500,000.

If you add on the bits and bobs and the chance to land better endorsement contracts, because you are based in the UK, a decent international player can earn £750,000 to £1 million a year.

If he chooses to go to France, as Flood has done, he will land himself a contract worth around €750,000 (£620,000) a year. However, there will be no international money and potential earnings from endorsements will be less.

When you look at it that way, the economics of going to France are not that great after all. You might just about earn the same, over a period of time, but you have given up the chance of playing for your country. And after all, is that not every schoolboys’ dream?
Read the full story here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... oming.html
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Rooster wrote:Interesting take on this from none other than Austin Healey, the wee mouthpiece seems to be talking sense for a change :shock:
We have already seen it in action, in the case of Toby Flood, where coach Stuart Lancaster’s stance on not picking players who choose to turn their back on the Premiership, in preference for a dip at the Top 14 and the significant wage increase it brings with it, has been put into immediate action.

This is where players need to start looking long and hard at the decisions that are being taken in this current climate. If a player is getting paid £300,000 by his club on this side of the Channel, and he picks up another £150,000-£200,000 a year for playing for his country, he will end up with the best part of £500,000.

If you add on the bits and bobs and the chance to land better endorsement contracts, because you are based in the UK, a decent international player can earn £750,000 to £1 million a year.

If he chooses to go to France, as Flood has done, he will land himself a contract worth around €750,000 (£620,000) a year. However, there will be no international money and potential earnings from endorsements will be less.

When you look at it that way, the economics of going to France are not that great after all. You might just about earn the same, over a period of time, but you have given up the chance of playing for your country. And after all, is that not every schoolboys’ dream?
Read the full story here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... oming.html
Wee mouthpiece he is, but like George Hook for example, he often talks sense.

I have to slightly disagree though. You need to be a nailed on starter for England for this argument to stack up. How many players have they in that category at the minute? I'd hazard maybe three, but under Lancaster the competition for places is good, and he is not afraid to lean more towards form than reputation. That puts the players topup RFU salary in jeopardy, and without the international place, the endorsements dry up.

So for someone like Flood, who's out and in of the team and has other younger players knocking on the door in his position, why not take the guaranteed cash, the gamble has no reward.

Furthermore, if a few of the nailed on squad members started to flee to France, how long before they have to back down on the policy?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Not everyone can lose hair and go to advanced hair studios Austin

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:Furthermore, if a few of the nailed on squad members started to flee to France, how long before they have to back down on the policy?
Well his next paragraphs hint at that, also indicate in his thinking the IRFU got it right and the rest of them got it wrong
I think we need to go back to 1996, when the game had just turned professional. The RFU should have centrally contracted all of the best players and leased them out to the clubs. It is what you do with a strong asset. You lease it, knowing it is going to bring you a return.
These days, the clubs own the players and lend them, for financial benefit, to the unions. The unions and the International Rugby Board all want to own the game and the reality is, at present, that they do.

However, without the players there is no game. There has to be a share in there somewhere. On one side you have got the club, purchasing and owning, on the other there is the union putting restrictions upon players and clubs. Eventually, it will come to a court battle. There is no way around it.

And then you have the issue over Europe, which adds more weight to the argument.

My belief is that because of European law and restraint of trade, the unions are not going to be able to do anything. We are heading for a big confrontation. The wage cap might be good for the game in England but it highlights, and probably accelerates, the problems that are about to come.
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am left to surmise that Healey's column has a ghost writer. Little Gatland wouldn't know good sense if it cracked him in the nuts like an iHumph exocet. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As for their salary cap, doubtless it will help the clubs who can afford to spend another 500K in the broken down PRL where nothing but nothing is fair. Sound like so many bloody irritating toddlers.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.