Lenister stadium

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Lenister stadium

Post by big mervyn »

Ever listen to Uriah Heep? Some of their stuff is very Deep Purplish, Look at Yourself is a good example.

Strange sort of a band - a real mish mash of styles. Some classic rock mixed in with some real Proggy stuff.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Merv…. Uriah Heep never quite worked for me don't know why but never did.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:Merv…. Uriah Heep never quite worked for me don't know why but never did.
See previous post about their Proggy stuff!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I was never a fan. Always thought they copied a lot of the Jon Lord Hammond organ sound. Deep Purple only not nearly as talented.
Uriah Heep The kings of Crozier Rock
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There is no ability to extend the capacity at Donnybrooke and Landsdowne Road was too big for most matches and a half filled ground is a soulless place where voices echo in the rafters you only have to look at Welsh and Scottish matches in the PRO 12 to understand the problem and its effect on increasing attendances .

When people go to a game they did to feel part of the crowd nobody likes to stand alone or sit in isolation and feel like a social outcast .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

There was always something unwholesome about BOD now the wee ballix has grasped the Queen's shilling in the form of working for guttersnipe tv channel BT Sport. :banghead:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:There was always something unwholesome about BOD now the wee ballix has grasped the Queen's shilling in the form of working for guttersnipe tv channel BT Sport. :banghead:
The man is but a pragmatist. In these chastened times a chap must take what's going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

A terrace holding 1,500 would be an improvement on the current terraces at the RDS which hold just under 1,000 and have awful sight lines.

The decision to rebuild belongs to the RDS though so Leinster don't have much sway in the decision making. The Anglesea Stand belongs to an age long gone so it needs to be replaced. I'd imagine Leinster will be delighted to offer better corporate facilities to customers, ditto the RDS for concerts and the Dublin Horse Show. Would love to see a permanent stand being constructed at the Northern End of the ground, with a roof, leaving the South Stand as a temporary one that can be removed at the end of the season.

Also, the two pitches at Donnybrook are being converted to all-weather surfaces, which is the main reason that the pre-season friendly is being played in Tallaght.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cormac wrote:A terrace holding 1,500 would be an improvement on the current terraces at the RDS which hold just under 1,000 and have awful sight lines.

The decision to rebuild belongs to the RDS though so Leinster don't have much sway in the decision making. The Anglesea Stand belongs to an age long gone so it needs to be replaced. I'd imagine Leinster will be delighted to offer better corporate facilities to customers, ditto the RDS for concerts and the Dublin Horse Show. Would love to see a permanent stand being constructed at the Northern End of the ground, with a roof, leaving the South Stand as a temporary one that can be removed at the end of the season.

Also, the two pitches at Donnybrook are being converted to all-weather surfaces, which is the main reason that the pre-season friendly is being played in Tallaght.
Logically just one temporary end seems the answer to me but do the nags need access from both ends ? if so then a section which can be moved mechanically to allow an opening would sound feasible, a few hinges and a couple of hydraulic rams and it is wonderful what could be achieved
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

They currently remove the North and South Stands at the end of each season in preparation for the Horse Show. My recollection is that the horses enter the arena from the southern end but it's a long time since I've been to the Horse Show.

The current remit is just to design a new Anglesea Stand although the blurb on the RIAI website suggests that the design should be done in such a way to encompass further possible changes to the stadium. The current Anglesea Stand is very much designed for the Horse Show Arena in that the far edges of the stand actually overlook the uncovered stands at either end when the stadium is in rugby mode. It'll be interesting to see how long the new stand will be and whether it will be specifically designed to the dimensions of a rugby pitch rather than the horse show. I suspect there's enough space left to stage the horse show, even with a permanent north stand. Those kind of changes are probably a long way off though.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

When I was a kid I thought Show Jumping was huge.
Only because there was so little sport on tv I suppose.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

pythagoras wrote:When I was a kid I thought Show Jumping was huge.
... And, in my case, because me da loved it.

The likjes of David Broome, Harvey Smith and Eddie Macken were household names in them days. Wouldn't have a clue who the current crop are.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

big mervyn wrote:

The likjes of David Broome, Harvey Smith and Eddie Macken were household names in them days. Wouldn't have a clue who the current crop are.
And the horses, Boomerang and Kerrygold and even when we lost it usually seemed to be to people riding irish horses!
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

pythagoras wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

And the horses, Boomerang and Kerrygold and even when we lost it usually seemed to be to people riding irish horses!
You'd never catch david broome doing a harvey Smith!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The Hickstead Derby was always watched chez nous and Eddie Macken the blue eyed boy. My daughter has a new horse this last 2 months but I think the extent of her ambitions for it are to hack it along the beach & maybe jump small competitions, maybe a metre or so.

Anyway, the RDS is bloody awful, our own old wreck was undoubtedly a wreck but at least it was functional for rugby viewing. Sitting athert the DBL & behind it is an outrage, the terraces the worst piece of mess I've encountered in any stadium.

I hope they get a stadium more fitting to their standing in the game.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.