Cornish Pirates

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Cornish Pirates

Post by scrum5 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/28469194

One of life's little quirks.... Pirates and Captain Morgan, Avast, me hearties! sorry but it's silly season
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Cornish Pirates

Post by BR »

Should have left this for Rum'n' to post.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Why because I don't recall starting a thread on a rugby club outside the Emerald Isle May comment on teams now and then but start a thread seldom if ever
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I do like Cap Morgans

Easterby Out
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

:scratch: :scratch:
rumncoke wrote:Why? Because I don't recall starting a thread on a rugby club outside the Emerald Isle. (I) May comment on teams now and then, but start a thread? Seldom, if ever.
You have all been helped (I think) :lol: :duck:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

What a jolly thread, think I'll go and roger something. :D

Don't know why but every time I hear mention of the Cornish Pirates I instantly think someone has erred and meant Pasties. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:I do like Cap Morgans

Easterby Out
Me too, particularly the Capt's Spiced Rum. Having poured scorn on Rum since my first blitzing on Bacardi it was a good 30 years later I was a guest at a small golf society & the convenor, a gentleman called Ronnie who was in every sense a gentleman & generous to boot, made me very welcome.

At Ronnie's persuasion I tried the Captain's Spiced neat & unencumbered with anything so crass as ice, I guzzled a substantial quantity in the couple of hours before dinner. Boys oh man sir, just what a man needs to whet the whistle before a good Donegal steak & trims.

About a month later I got a small photobook through the post, from Ronnie, none overly embarrassing and a nice souvenir of a crackin' day out, told you, Ronnie was a gent.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Glad to see you don't go for SAILOR JERRY

Must say its a similiar rum to the Spiced Morgan's a nice taste and bit of colour not into clear Rums they look like and taste like sugared vodka
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Glad to see you don't go for SAILOR JERRY

Must say its a similiar rum to the Spiced Morgan's a nice taste and bit of colour not into clear Rums they look like and taste like sugared vodka
I'm sure you're right Rum'n but for me the smell of Bacardi is enough to turn my stomach in somersaults. Such an effect from so little drink on a young drinker :shock:

Mind you I used to drink vodka like water, whilst working in Carrickfergus in the mid-seventies, I used to have 4 or 5 doubles in the Central Bar for lunch with a young lady I was infatuated with - not the current Mrs Trousers hasten to add. Never had the slightest trouble balancing my cash & the customers were more than happy, now I suspect it would knock me on my Brennan. :roll:

Ach vodka is alright but its not a proper drink, you wouldn't order it after lunchtime in case your mates thought you were a woman in disguise - sorry ladies - stout & whisky after lunchtime & a fruit based drink for the ladies, thems the rules >rtfm .
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

And back then a double was still a double!
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:And back then a double was still a double!
and a pint of Double Diamond was a double half-pint.

Personally i never thought it worked wonders, but if resorting to rum, a Lamb's Dark Navy Rum or McKibbens worked wonders! :cheers:

as baggy says though - neat as nature intended with nought added or taken away.!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:And back then a double was still a double!
My drink tolerance at 21 was considerably improved from the 15 yr old bacardi drunk. >EW Practice you see, other fine exponents of the rolling green sward were on the practice ground perfecting their gowf swing, fortunately mine was naturally perfect*** & needed little or no practice, hence my evenings were spent practising & perfecting "the raising of the wrist".

Indeed around 21 & onward until Mrs Trousers gained my affection around 24, I suspect I was at my tippling peak, perhaps fit to drink for Ulster. Long gone days, now a combination of age & a few bits of medication which don't fare well with drink, I'd find it hard to drink more than a couple of gallons of stout on my best day, sometimes a mere half dozen would see me on my crozier. Sad really, a wasted talent :stout: >EW

*** I say my swing was "perfect" and any who saw me would say it was a little short for perfection,but, for the purposes of this forum where golfing standards may be considered somewhat lax, suffice to say it was an absolute repeating action with smooth rhythm & timing. Perhaps not a thing of beauty but incredibly serviceable & reliable.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Aye and a glass was still a double unless it was a glass of double, then it was only a half.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sorry I appear to have taken this slightly off thread, what were we saying about Cornish pasties. :scratch:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

We were sitting beside 4 Cornish Pirates fans at the HEC final at Twickers. They were all standing up very loudly for Ulster.

Also a fan of pasties and dark rum although how anyone can countenance Coke in it (or in brandy, whiskey or any other grown up liquor) is totally beyond me.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall