Whitten/Steenson

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Whitten/Steenson

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:
Unread postby Spiffsson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Just watched Tigers/Exeter. Ian Whitten continues his good form. He ran hard and straight, but also showed good footwork and decent enough gas, running in a try from some distance out. He defends well too. He's a better looking all-round 13 than Cave at the moment. Pity we ever let him go, but he has done well in England and fair play to him.
He is a decent player no doubt about it, predominantly at 12 however and has only been shunted out to 13 the last few games because Henry Slade is unavailable. He has been second choice to that young guy Sam Hill for the most of the season in his regular position.

For me, Caves support play, his rugby brain and the way he controls things and takes the heat of PJ are his main attributes, he may not have the gas or strength of Whitten, he is certainly (when not sick :shock: ) the better player.

As for this... Sorry its you again Spiff :lol: :lol: :lol:
by Spiffsson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 pm

As for the Scholes move - I do not know what kinds of offers or inducements may have been made to keep him here. Just sorry to lose him. He has a lot of potential and is well ahead of Stockdale. Good luck to him. I hope he does well in Scotland.
I am sick of seeing Scholes > Stockdale on here and other sites. Its completely ridiculous to compare the two. For starters, Scholes is three years older, he has come through the academy and is now a full time professional, Stockdale is a 19 year old student who trains part time.

Stockdale is also only getting a few £1000 a year as a bursary, Scholes requires a contract and a full time salary to support himself.

Young Stockdale obviously has bags of potential, has been pulled from the Irish U19 squad and given a chance with the first team, he hasnt done anything remarkable, but has certainly not let us down.

Scholes, obviously a good player, but people seem to be getting on like we've just lost a world class player, hes good, he also has stacks of potential but as yet is hardly a prolific try scorer.

Over the last few seasons we have got rid of/let go from the backs, McCrea, Seymour, Gaston, McIlwaine, Cochrane, McKinney, Porter, NOC, Heaney and lets face it, none of them bar maybe Seymour have been any kind of loss, maybe our coaching team arent as stupid as everyone seems to think when it come to releasing young players.

Rant over :duck:
May I congratulate you on a post of profound fecundity - not something, I am sure we can agree, that occurs here with any regularity. My own pish has been boiled.

I would say however that Spiffer is an unlikely & unfortunate target for our "Oh FFS I'm peeved" spleen venting. Sorry Spiffer, just the wrong place at the wrong time, random nature of the universe type of thing.

As for His Grace, I've blurred vision & one of my less good headaches so cannot find it in me to check previous posts, so I'll just say that if it's me you are referring to on the money issue, I do agree with you about what is at the heart of Scholes in particular moving away. My reference to the parsimonious Scots & the ease with which he might be reengaged is simply that it would not be an issue, should Ulster decide they want him back AND he feels that he will have a part to play here, more than likely that being dependent on the effective demise of T Bowe and maybe the GLU forebye .
Bags and fuzzy - I stand by all that I said, not of what others may have thought I said. i.e :-

. Whitten and Steenson are playing well at Exeter
( Whitten is not exclusively a 12 now, BTW, he has done well at 12/13 and wing for Exeter, mostly 13). Bags, you have stated that you never watch these games and so, understandably, you will not be familiar with their form.

. Whitten is currently in better form than Cave at 13
(this may be mitigated by Cave's illness, of which I know nothing at all. I have no idea what health problems he may have). I am not saying that in the grand scheme of things, and over time, Whitten is the better 13. That would be daft. Just talking about current form. Again - if you never see him play, this would be difficult for you to judge.

. Scholes is well ahead of Stockdale Not talking about potential or age - again just about current form, and yes of course, based on experience, things are heavily weighted towards Scholes (though I do think Scholes has the potential to go farther).

Am I the only poster here who thinks that Stockdale, though large and powerful, has a real lack of gas for a wing and has a ponderous look about him?

Flame away bais!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Scholes is indeed well ahead of Stockdale Spiffer, and in more ways than one, he is 3 years older for one thing which at "nipper" age means something.

I was unconvinced about Scholes until fairly recently, I remain unconvinced about Stockdale. I'm yet to decide on Stockdale's pace as well, times I think I've seen it, times I wonder has he not got much.

I often think a guys running style can give a lie to his speed, Danielli for example was one of those guys who didn't look quick, but glided along rightly. Others look "busy" with their running style but really aren't getting anywhere terribly fast. Also you have the likes of Cave, almost universally acknowledged as "slow" until you discover the truth of speed stats in the squad.

Stockdale is becoming perceived as slow, whether he is or not is still debatable to my ould eyes.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Stockdale is very weak under the high ball for a big lad, though others have successfully worked on that aspect of their game.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I'm off to Exeter v Worcester on Saturday - should be a few Ulstermen on show.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Would take the three of them back in a heartbeat, though highly unlikely
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote:I'm off to Exeter v Worcester on Saturday - should be a few Ulstermen on show.
Big Donncha too. Seems to be doing rightly at Worcester.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bit one-sided at Sandy Park.

Three more for Thomas the Tank. Great finish in front of us by that little winger with the beard too.

Talking of new fans, we got asked which route the bus back to the station took by someone wearing a Chiefs shirt!
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

justinr73 wrote:Bit one-sided at Sandy Park.

Three more for Thomas the Tank. Great finish in front of us by that little winger with the beard too.

Talking of new fans, we got asked which route the bus back to the station took by someone wearing a Chiefs shirt!
That wee beardy winger has looked unreal when I've watched their highlights this year.

Also that Waldrom seemed to be scoring at will in every game, absolutely monstrous.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk