Weegies and Embra for sale?

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Weegies and Embra for sale?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I see the Haggismunching SRU are to hold an extraordinary meeting to discuss a rule change allowing the union to sell off the two clubs.

Gregor Gurnsend is positive but talking of the need to ensure a flow of Scottish players, much indeed as I have talked about the need for the provinces to flirt with private investment.

Gurnsend clearly knows his stuff and it can only be a matter of time before the FIRFU realise it's something they too will have to look at seriously
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Re: Weegies and Embra for sale?

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Goodbye to pro rugby in Scotland, who would want to invest in anything that has near zero support. Scottish Rugby is a reflection of the country, sh1te
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Goodbye to pro rugby in Scotland, who would want to invest in anything that has near zero support. Scottish Rugby is a reflection of the country, sh1te
My thoughts exactly. How do you sell a financial black hole?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:Goodbye to pro rugby in Scotland, who would want to invest in anything that has near zero support. Scottish Rugby is a reflection of the country, sh1te
My thoughts exactly. How do you sell a financial black hole?
Get a couple of French billionaires or a few English money launderers in
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Not like you Moley, you've obviously missed the fact that Weegies have sold out their first two games of the season at their bijou little ground ..............Embra not so much. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Edinburgh leaving Murrayfield at Christmas and playing home games at Myreside (5k? capacity) for 2nd half of season.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Scotstoun is what, 7k capacity? Edinburgh moving to a 5k stadium. Neither team owns their stadium? Hard to make those numbers work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:Scotstoun is what, 7k capacity? Edinburgh moving to a 5k stadium. Neither team owns their stadium? Hard to make those numbers work.

I am not saying they are a model to build on, but it's not long since Weegies were playing in front of 2/3000. Without knowing their funding arrangements and who pays for the use of Scotstoun it's hard to know how they are fixed. The only certainty is it's a hell of a lot better than it was and I assume that their broken down union can afford reasonable funding for 2 teams rather than Ireland with 4 teams one of whom was determined to send as much money down the pan as possible with their needlessly extravagant two centres. :roll:

The other certainty is that Ulster have peaked financially & even with an average of 15000 we will lose money this season & next & presumably into the future. The TV money is inadequate but we are not attractive in terms of advertisers in our little countries. Smirking about other countries finances is ignoring our own mess.

Private money, needs exploring now, not when the whole shebang is on it's knees.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

It's not long since Munster were playing in front of 20,000. Glasgow are going well and nothing succeeds like success. It will be interesting to see if they continue to fill Scotstoun if they return to mid table, once the magic touch of Townsend is removed.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:It's not long since Munster were playing in front of 20,000. Glasgow are going well and nothing succeeds like success. It will be interesting to see if they continue to fill Scotstoun if they return to mid table, once the magic touch of Townsend is removed.

You don't rate Dave Rennie then? Anyway, Gregor Gurnsend has done a great job but the squad is there for Rennie & he's no mug.

Yes Snipe, I take your point but mine remains valid, the status quo under exclusive union control is slow death on the road to being feeder clubs for England & France. Think of a future as a type of Irish League equivalent team. :shock:

If the Scots have come to that realisation and are exploring and even more, legislating for it then they are taking a step that we should. If they do go that way it will leave Ireland as the only major NH rugby playing nation under exclusive union control.

I find the issues of exclusive union control just as problematic as100% private owner control. There has to be some sort of halfway house that may benefit all parties.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:It's not long since Munster were playing in front of 20,000. Glasgow are going well and nothing succeeds like success. It will be interesting to see if they continue to fill Scotstoun if they return to mid table, once the magic touch of Townsend is removed.

You don't rate Dave Rennie then? Anyway, Gregor Gurnsend has done a great job but the squad is there for Rennie & he's no mug.

Yes Snipe, I take your point but mine remains valid, the status quo under exclusive union control is slow death on the road to being feeder clubs for England & France. Think of a future as a type of Irish League equivalent team. :shock:

If the Scots have come to that realisation and are exploring and even more, legislating for it then they are taking a step that we should. If they do go that way it will leave Ireland as the only major NH rugby playing nation under exclusive union control.

I find the issues of exclusive union control just as problematic as100% private owner control. There has to be some sort of halfway house that may benefit all parties.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just adding another perspective. Rennie is a good coach, but we'll see if he fits in.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:Scotstoun is what, 7k capacity? Edinburgh moving to a 5k stadium. Neither team owns their stadium? Hard to make those numbers work.

Ibrox