Anyone want to buy part of a province

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Anyone want to buy part of a province

Post by Rooster »

IRFU open to selling shares in provinces

Friday, October 28, 2016
Brendan O’Brien

The IRFU is open to the prospect of private investors purchasing stakes in the professional provinces in order to bridge the widening financial gap with cash-rich English and French competitors.

Such a system is already in place in New Zealand, where all five Super Rugby franchises are owned to varying degrees by a combination of private backers, the individual provincial unions, and New Zealand Rugby (NZR).
The process began back in 2011 and was completed with the granting of a five-year licence last year to operate the Highlanders. NZR retains ownership of all the team brands and funds coaching and player contracts from TV and sponsorship revenues.
“Everything is being looked at. Absolutely,” said the Irish union’s Performance Director David Nucifora. “We would consider everything; if we thought that it was workable and achievable to be able to do that.

“There’s a fair few different models that we can look at and see if that would suit Irish rugby. Would that work for us? I don’t think there’s anything that we don’t consider. It’s just a matter of finding what works best here for this system.”
Private investors have already contributed to the Irish professional game in the form of contributions to player contracts and that has helped keep a number of high-profile players in country and under the IRFU’s umbrella and player welfare scheme.
A private stake in one or more of the provinces would be a different ball game and the arrival of someone like Mourad Boudjellal, who has attracted a myriad of world-class talent to Toulon, would clearly alter the delicate ecosystem in place here.
Nucifora said: “If you look at the French and the English systems, with their level of private ownership that’s in there, that becomes quite challenging for the national body to be able to manage their players and manage their player development, and manage the progress of their pathway, because you’re not in control of that.”
“I think I’ve mentioned before, when you sit down around a table and we sit down with our counterparts around the world, a lot of them are envious and jealous of the Irish system. I do believe we’re lucky in that we’ve got one of the strongest systems and most effective systems in world rugby to be able to manage and develop our playing talent.”
Nucifora also confirmed the IRFU remains committed long-term to four professional provinces, saying the national side could not be competitive with anything less.
“From a rugby viewpoint it’s tough competing with four. We need all of those players who are out there and we’ve got to manage it really well.”
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Anyone want to buy part of a province

Post by Russ »

Philanthropy?
Equitable investments?

Neither of those offer a real incentive to buy in if I'm honest
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

“I think I’ve mentioned before, when you sit down around a table and we sit down with our counterparts around the world, a lot of them are envious and jealous of the Irish system. I do believe we’re lucky in that we’ve got one of the strongest systems and most effective systems in world rugby to be able to manage and develop our playing talent.”
But we cant win feck all
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
But we cant win feck all
A WC QF is great with all the bandwagon though

All aboard
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
But we can't win feck all
So Moley, you're expecting us to win something. :shock: :shock: :shock: Braver man than I am, I expect nath'n, then you are never disappointed. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Philanthropy?
Equitable investments?

Neither of those offer a real incentive to buy in if I'm honest
Need Sarries to show them how to do some creative accounting
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:

Friday, October 28, 2016
Brendan O’Brien

The IRFU is open to the prospect of private investors purchasing stakes in the professional provinces in order to bridge the widening financial gap with cash-rich English and French competitors.

Such a system is already in place in New Zealand, where all five Super Rugby franchises are owned to varying degrees by a combination of private backers, the individual provincial unions, and New Zealand Rugby (NZR).
The process began back in 2011 and was completed with the granting of a five-year licence last year to operate the Highlanders. NZR retains ownership of all the team brands and funds coaching and player contracts from TV and sponsorship revenues.
“Everything is being looked at. Absolutely,” said the Irish union’s Performance Director David Nucifora. “We would consider everything; if we thought that it was workable and achievable to be able to do that.

“There’s a fair few different models that we can look at and see if that would suit Irish rugby. Would that work for us? I don’t think there’s anything that we don’t consider. It’s just a matter of finding what works best here for this system.”
Private investors have already contributed to the Irish professional game in the form of contributions to player contracts and that has helped keep a number of high-profile players in country and under the IRFU’s umbrella and player welfare scheme.
A private stake in one or more of the provinces would be a different ball game and the arrival of someone like Mourad Boudjellal, who has attracted a myriad of world-class talent to Toulon, would clearly alter the delicate ecosystem in place here.
Nucifora said: “If you look at the French and the English systems, with their level of private ownership that’s in there, that becomes quite challenging for the national body to be able to manage their players and manage their player development, and manage the progress of their pathway, because you’re not in control of that.”
Nucifora also confirmed the IRFU remains committed long-term to four professional provinces, saying the national side could not be competitive with anything less.
“From a rugby viewpoint it’s tough competing with four. We need all of those players who are out there and we’ve got to manage it really well.”
So the bit in red, two things:

1) We would consider everything, it's the "we" and by that I mean who would consider it? That feckbagofshite? Anyone place an ounce of credibility in his judgement post-Pienaar? :roll: :roll: :roll:

2) What follows is every reason he can think of why nothing will change other than if some philanthropic soul hands them several millions with no strings attached. :roll:

The End.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Who in their right mind would invest in a team that is manipulated from afar by that shower of incompetents?
Give us your money and we'll call the shots? Get a grip Nucifora.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I have a spare tenner. Think I'll buy a new pack for Ulster. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:I have a spare tenner. Think I'll buy a new pack for Ulster. :D
A pack of smokes? You'll be lucky at that price.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Who in their right mind would invest in a team that is manipulated from afar by that shower of incompetents?
Give us your money and we'll call the shots? Get a grip Nucifora.
Me! If I'd a spare half billion I didn't need I'd give it to Ulster Rugby in a heart beat. Blind faith, just like my mother putting coins on the collection plate every Sunday.

Ask not what your club can do for you but what you can do for your club....... blah blah.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

That would be fine if the provinces were given more autonomy to recruit the players they need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Why not let Leinster become the Irish Team and the other three can take their chances? O wait!
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Friday, October 28, 2016
Brendan O’Brien

Bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

Putting short term success ahead of the long term health of the game is not a good move IMO.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Who would want to put money into a province? No say in how it's run, best players told to feck off. Jog on IRFU.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999