The demise of club rugby in Belfast

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

1 Nenagh Ormond 7 5 1 1 176 101 75 2 1 25
2 Banbridge 7 5 1 1 160 104 56 3 0 25
3 Queens University 7 4 1 2 170 105 65 3 1 22
4 Highfield 7 3 3 1 164 81 83 1 0 19
5 Blackrock College RFC 7 4 0 3 146 143 3 3 0 19
6 Malone 7 2 2 3 101 168 -67 1 1 14
7 Sundays Well 7 2 2 3 102 130 -28 0 1 13
8 Galway Corinthians RFC 7 2 0 5 135 153 -18 2 2 12
9 Cashel RFC 7 2 0 5 100 132 -32 0 1 9
10 Belfast Harlequins 7 1 0 6 70 207 -137 0 0 4

As it stands, Queens is the 23rd best club rugby team in Ireland followed by Malone , 26 th, and ''Belfast' s Premier Rugby Club'' , Harlequins , in 30th place. As a country bumpkin I would be interested to hear some views on how this situation has come about .

(Russ, feel free not to reply)
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The demise of club rugby in Belfast

Post by Russ »

Tighty wrote:1 Nenagh Ormond 7 5 1 1 176 101 75 2 1 25
2 Banbridge 7 5 1 1 160 104 56 3 0 25
3 Queens University 7 4 1 2 170 105 65 3 1 22
4 Highfield 7 3 3 1 164 81 83 1 0 19
5 Blackrock College RFC 7 4 0 3 146 143 3 3 0 19
6 Malone 7 2 2 3 101 168 -67 1 1 14
7 Sundays Well 7 2 2 3 102 130 -28 0 1 13
8 Galway Corinthians RFC 7 2 0 5 135 153 -18 2 2 12
9 Cashel RFC 7 2 0 5 100 132 -32 0 1 9
10 Belfast Harlequins 7 1 0 6 70 207 -137 0 0 4

As it stands, Queens is the 23rd best club rugby team in Ireland followed by Malone , 26 th, and ''Belfast' s Premier Rugby Club'' , Harlequins , in 30th place. As a country bumpkin I would be interested to hear some views on how this situation has come about .

(Russ, feel free not to reply)
Nice to see Banbridge doing so well
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Tighty wrote:As a country bumpkin I would be interested to hear some views on how this situation has come about .
Ehm .....

..... you were born, raised and live in the backside of nowhere, and you happen to be a bumpkin, perchance? :stir: :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Tighty wrote:As a country bumpkin I would be interested to hear some views on how this situation has come about .
Ehm .....

..... you were born, raised and live in the backside of nowhere, and you happen to be a bumpkin, perchance? :stir: :duck:
Cap'n... didn't see that one coming. After I had re-read my post I expected some other ''smart alec' to reply that ''the situation had come about'' because the other teams in 2A had scored more points than the aforementioned Belfast clubs.

Returning to the subject matter of my post, surely you as a luminary of the URSC and a graduate of one of the feeder schools to Quins, you are in a good position to make a semi sensible contribution on the issue.

Regards

Tighty
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Harlequins 2nds got a bit of a kicking by Armagh 2nds 59 - 16 so their backup to the firsts is not in great shape either.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The Licencing Order 1990.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Tighty wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Ehm .....

Cap'n... didn't see that one coming. After I had re-read my post I expected some other ''smart alec' to reply that ''the situation had come about'' because the other teams in 2A had scored more points than the aforementioned Belfast clubs.

Returning to the subject matter of my post, surely you as a luminary of the URSC and a graduate of one of the feeder schools to Quins, you are in a good position to make a semi sensible contribution on the issue.

Regards

Tighty
Fraid not,Tighty.

Never managed even a semi sensible post in me life to date - why start now?

Very best regards

Grumps
I'm not arguing -
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Should then more Ulster players should be released to those teams? Seems to be if they are released it is either to Hinch or Mena. A lot of the academy guys seem to play for Queens/Quins etc for a while then get moved on to the 1A/1B sides

Hinch seem to struggle for consistency as their team is so sporadic, if they had a more nailed on XV then maybe they wouldn't be struggling so much this year. Seems maybe only half their team isnt usually made up of Ulster players. On that note, I thought Ballynahinch managed to stay up in 1A last year on the final day of the season? Did I misread it at the time and they had got in to the relegation play offs or why are they playing 1B?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:Should then more Ulster players should be released to those teams? Seems to be if they are released it is either to Hinch or Mena. A lot of the academy guys seem to play for Queens/Quins etc for a while then get moved on to the 1A/1B sides

Hinch seem to struggle for consistency as their team is so sporadic, if they had a more nailed on XV then maybe they wouldn't be struggling so much this year. Seems maybe only half their team isnt usually made up of Ulster players. On that note, I thought Ballynahinch managed to stay up in 1A last year on the final day of the season? Did I misread it at the time and they had got in to the relegation play offs or why are they playing 1B?
Have a guess why Brillo. (hint: nathin' til do wi' edgumicasean)
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Looking at the state of mini rugby at many Belfast clubs comparison to regional clubs indicates that this trend will continue. Malone in particular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:Should then more Ulster players should be released to those teams? Seems to be if they are released it is either to Hinch or Mena. A lot of the academy guys seem to play for Queens/Quins etc for a while then get moved on to the 1A/1B sides

Jacob Stockdale & Zac McCall didn't study either at all or at Queens when they played. Don't have to study with them to play for them
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Jacob Stockdale & Zac McCall didn't study either at all or at Queens when they played. Don't have to study with them to play for them
Guess again.
I'm not arguing -
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

I know Snipe Wstson will have a go but bottom line is that the CEO, loves to roll out figures of how by having an increase in playing numbers, we will have a more successful dominant Ulster, that is mumbo jumbo bullsh1t from him, he regularly at some if his talks state that playing numbers have increased and all us tickity boo, well if he knew more about the club game he would know that the following is correct.

Ulster have 30,000+ registered players, but the fact is less than 5000 actually play rugby, is that 30k what clubs get funding on,

Clubs are going to the wall every year, nothing at branch level is being done to help them, GAA clubs get massive help from council were rugby clubs get zero, other than funds from clubs if Ireland funding, insurance for teams is massive compared to England Svotland and Wales, I believe in England the RFU pay all the insurance.

Clubs need to get better a administration system

Anyone here ever seen the CEO at a local club or at a Ckub dinner, has he ever went to Ophir or Larne, he is the man at the top of an organisation with a responsibility to lead ALL aspects of it, not just the bits that will get him good PR .

You have Belfast Harlequins struggling to get a competive second team out, shame , not on Quins, but on UR .
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Maybe there are now so many other things to do in Belfast of a Saturday?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I blame Trevor Brennan.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh