The demise of club rugby in Belfast

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Aird
Squire

Re: The demise of club rugby in Belfast

Post by Aird »

It is perhaps not so much a demise rather more of a redistribution.
This has been brought about by several factors, cost of housing in Belfast, the improved ability to commute longer distances.
No Saturday opening in any banks etc every club had quota of these players and this meant living in digs etc rather than travelling home.
This has led to demise of Belfast Senior clubs, CIYMS, Civil Service Academy and Instonians. You can of course add Collegians and North who have never really arisen from the ashes of their amalgamation.
Then thre were at least two Factory teams who have disappeared ICL Holerith and Shorts who were near neighbours.
But we have also seen the rise of Provincial Clubs the Senior ranks, in Armagh, Ballynahinch, City of Derry and Rainey.
This year they have been joined once again by Bangor who have had previous spells as a senior Club.

Basically there has been a redistribution of the limited number of Senior players throughout the province. Rather than the unhealthy glut in Belfast.
Also whilst the Idea of travelling on an All Ireland basis may seem attractive, the reality may not be as attractive.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gerald the Mole wrote:I know Snipe Wstson will have a go but bottom line is that the CEO, loves to roll out figures of how by having an increase in playing numbers, we will have a more successful dominant Ulster, that is mumbo jumbo bullsh1t from him, he regularly at some if his talks state that playing numbers have increased and all us tickity boo, well if he knew more about the club game he would know that the following is correct......
No you don't know, actually you're barking up the wrong tree entirely.
I have no issue whatsoever with what you say. I'm not an apologist for Logan or anyone else. I just like to see blame apportioned correctly.
I am well aware that Logan peddles a strong line in hyperbole, has been caught out spoofing on a number of occasions and is a poor man's spin doctor. But he has absolutely nothing to do with the absolute dross we are witnessing on the pitch.
So no, I'll not be having a go...... You may just have been helped. >EW
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Snipe Watson, I suggest you read this thread again, what's this thread got to do with the dross the pro team throw up, have I mentioned that?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Snipe Watson, I suggest you read this thread again, what's this thread got to do with the dross the pro team throw up, have I mentioned that?
You appeared to suggest that I was going to"have a go" leaping to Logan's defence.

I was making the point that I only defend Logan when he is clearly not in the wrong.

If that's not the case, what's your point?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

:roll: k
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gerald the Mole wrote::roll: k
Classic Logan apologists
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Snipe Watson, do you not think that :
"But he has absolutely nothing to do with the absolute dross we are witnessing on the pitch".
is not in line with what is being talked about ?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Medium sized difference of opinion!

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Medium sized difference of opinion!

Popcorn time ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:Medium sized difference of opinion!

Popcorn time ?
Hope so
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There could be an effect of the AIL most senior sides in the Ail league when playing away are either travelling to Dublin 2 hours Cork 4/5 hours or Limerick 4/5 hours whereas a team in Dublin would average a 3 hour journey to a game and would have possible more games in Dublin its self up to 10 hours on a bus to play a game of rugby and home again the game loses its appeal quickly.

When the Ail was first introduced there was no elite Professional game and the league was created to improve the standard the league has now possible run its course andas an all ireland League and there could be benefit for the Ulster Clubs to opt out to increase the appeal of the game without the commitment to travelling.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:There could be an effect of the AIL most senior sides in the Ail league when playing away are either travelling to Dublin 2 hours Cork 4/5 hours or Limerick 4/5 hours whereas a team in Dublin would average a 3 hour journey to a game and would have possible more games in Dublin its self up to 10 hours on a bus to play a game of rugby and home again the game loses its appeal quickly.

When the Ail was first introduced there was no elite Professional game and the league was created to improve the standard the league has now possible run its course andas an all ireland League and there could be benefit for the Ulster Clubs to opt out to increase the appeal of the game without the commitment to travelling.
Guff
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
rumncoke wrote:There could be an effect of the AIL most senior sides in the Ail league when playing away are either travelling to Dublin 2 hours Cork 4/5 hours or Limerick 4/5 hours whereas a team in Dublin would average a 3 hour journey to a game and would have possible more games in Dublin its self up to 10 hours on a bus to play a game of rugby and home again the game loses its appeal quickly.

Guff
Rumsplaining
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Snipe Watson, do you not think that :
"But he has absolutely nothing to do with the absolute dross we are witnessing on the pitch".
is not in line with what is being talked about ?
No but it had a lot to do with the context of my point.
Herman
Novice

Post by Herman »

Great to see me ol' club win the AIL for the 5th time and 1st since 2010...breaking the dirty Dubs 6 year dominance.

Can't say many of our Academy lads stood out though...